Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racing in 09

Re: Racing in 09

Your right about all that. Ive got an 07 gsxr 1k. I mathed out a bunch of shit and it came to about 3900. Thats pushin it too with some decent shit. I could minus some stuff and still have a decent race bike!
    Commin' in hot!
    MRA #515

I'll put in my 2 cents. I had the same questions that you currently have and I decided to race my street bike(07 R1). I bought e-racing fairing $350(still don't have any paint on them), $300 woodcraft covers, $400 frame,clutch, axle sliders. I raced the first 3 races with this setup and used street tires, Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's. I also rented a transponder until I finally got a deal on a used one. Other than sprockets, braided brake lines and ebc pads my bike is stock. After the first 3 races I decided to start using Michelin race tires and finally bought tires warmers. What everyone has said about not being able to race as much as the 600's is a down side to having the liter bike. But really, it's not that bad, 2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. It just depends how much you want to spend each weekend. Oh yeah and the guys on the 600's are extremely fast!!! As far as skill level on a 600 vs 1K, I can't complement on that. I never been on a 600. My previous bike was an 03 Fatboy. I just know that I need a slow right hand for this bike. The bottom line is that I'm glad I made the decision to get out on the track and race. Sometimes you have to go with what you got and see what happens! Oh....if you do decide to pull the trigger and race, GO MICHELIN!!!!!!

Let me know if you have any questions.
    The MRA is awesome!
    MRA #731
    O7 R1

Try a Trackday with the CSC guys.... It's not very expensive. Bike prep isn't much... Usually the same guys that are racing, ride on the trackdays. (practice of course) I did a trackday with CSC members and I had my ass handed to me by numerous people on 600's. ( I ran my tl 1000s in Pueblo) It was fun and it gives you an idea of how competitive you have to be to run with them... Just my opinion.... Looking forward to another Trackday next year with my new bike....

Racing is like marriage; its a big commitement that takes every penny you got. You have not figured in all your costs yet: tire warmers, lodging, transportation (do you have a trailer or a truck), race fuel, repair money, entry fees, leathers, back protector, helmet (that meets current tech standards), and a generator. Prepping the bike is only a start; hop on that bike on cold tires at 8:00 am and dive into turn one and then tell me if you want tire warmers! If you love racing get a lightwieght and learn without horsepower, because if you can't go fast on a slow bike; you can't go fast on a fast bike. 600's and 1000's eat tires (you will eat more tires on a 600 because you can race in alot more classes). When I did the racing certification class I asked the rider reps what to start on, and they all said a lightwieght and I did that. I am a much better racer because of that advise.

My 2 cents

Do what you want, your going to anyways

Jeff

Last race I did cost me just over $300 for 3 races, tires.

The expense of getting all the shit you need is what gets alot of people.

Once you get setup with everything you need you can go about racing in a cheapish fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post
    Last race I did cost me just over $300 for 3 races, tires.

The expense of getting all the shit you need is what gets alot of people.

Once you get setup with everything you need you can go about racing in a cheapish fashion.

Even once you get set up. There is nothing cheap about this sport.

My last race weekend cost me ~ $250 which isn't too bad.... that is until you figure in the cost of repairing the bike after going down in one of the races. Then it was just over $1400. I'm thinkin I got off kind easy with this one. The one before this ended up costing me almost $3000

also i havent heard anyone point out that there are good deals to be found. i bought my race bike for 1600 bucks fully prepped and ready. (albeit a bit on the ugly side, but who gives a sheite). So for 1600 bucks i have a race bike that i didnt have to put any money or work into (when i got it anyway, after the last trackday though....hahaha) and i still have a street bike. would you rather an additional bike to play with or dump money into the one you have? just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by jimwallace View Post
    also i havent heard anyone point out that there are good deals to be found. i bought my race bike for 1600 bucks fully prepped and ready. (albeit a bit on the ugly side, but who gives a sheite). So for 1600 bucks i have a race bike that i didnt have to put any money or work into (when i got it anyway, after the last trackday though....hahaha) and i still have a street bike. would you rather an additional bike to play with or dump money into the one you have? just my .02

To build on that idea, that's why I never race prepped my 600RR (though it would have been one competitive f'ing bike in GTU.) If I ended up tossing a race bike, I'd still have something to ride on the street.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.