Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about a Ducati?

What about a Ducati?

So, I'm still waiting on the insurance company, but I have been shopping. I'm really on the fence about the 09 bikes, but I'm in love with an 848. Does anyone on here ride, or has ridden in the past, a Duc?

Also, does anyone have experience with our west-side dealership?

Re: What about a Ducati?

You may want to talk with OldKneeDragger first. He has had quite an experience with Ducati....

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...02&postcount=5
    Last edited by billsmith7; Fri Sep 26th, 2008 at 12:43 AM.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I've owned a 748 since 2002 with minimal problems and now race a 1997 748, also reliable.

If you want a Ducati, you should get one. do they cost more? yup. Does it cost more to maintain them? yup. Are they reliable? Yup. Just like anything if you stay on top of the maintenance they are.

OKD had a bad experience with his 1098, and I think it sucks how Ducati treated him. That said they have agreed to cover his problems under warranty, albeit a bit late.

I really like my bikes and wouldn't change my choice. I won't trade the 748 for an R6, a CBR or a GSXR. Now, a new RSV4? Maybe....

I bought the Ducati for lots of reasons and I knew it would be an expensive bike to maintain and ride. I never expected the problems that I have endured. I still have hopes that Ducati will come through with a reasonable settlement. Even yesterday they sent me an e-mail and indicated something was going to happen soon. Either way, I will make the whole story very public.

I expect my Ducati back sometime next week. I am waiting with great expectations and sincerely hope it puts the smile back on my face. If Ducati makes good on top of that then I will be a very strong Ducatist.

If you are serious about Ducati, make sure you stuff your wallet with lots of money, not only for the purchase but for the operational costs as well and go get it.

If you want a Ducati, you should get one.
    +1

si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    If you want a Ducati, you should get one. do they cost more? yup. Does it cost more to maintain them? yup.
    +1

I currently have an 848 and haven't had any issues with it, it's been fun to ride on the street and the track. We also have a 999 and it's had a few problems, been in for service a few times. A friend of ours who owns a 1098S has had that bike into Ducati Omaha more than he's ridden it. He's having the worst-case Duc experience.

Ducatis are fun and something different, but they're fussier than Japanese bikes. Overall my experiences with them have been positive, FYI I get mine serviced at Boulder Motor Sports. Could be the 848 is a good choice for a duc, mine hasn't had any probs and don't think Diego's has either (Vehicle1). If you want something different go for it.

AKA "Devaclis"

If you buy me a yellow 748 I will have your babies.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

^^If you buy Dana a 748 I'll bring the camera.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Husband and I have a monster and it we've never had any trouble with it. It's a good bike but as Lovin Colo said it is a bit for touch than Jap Bikes. They seem to have a personality all to themselves. We've also never had any toruble with the local dealership both salesmen and service dept. Infact that are suppose to have one of the best Duc techs in the west.

Faster. Till the thrill of speed over comes the fear of death.

http://www.myspace.com/yvonneforever15

http://colocustommetal.zoovy.com/

If you want a Ducati, you should get one.
    Replace Ducati with your brand of choice, and that sums it up right there. Despite our ability to rationlize motorcycle purchases, better mileage, better for the enviroment etc etc. They are a pursuit of passion and as someone said on this board a while back, within reason, get the one that makes your heart thump.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Replace Ducati with your brand of choice, and that sums it up right there.
    Exactly what I was getting at

Quote Originally Posted by lovinCO View Post
    A friend of ours who owns a 1098S has had that bike into Ducati Omaha more than he's ridden it. He's having the worst-case Duc experience.
    Worse than mine? http://www.Ducati-Lies.com ... what kind of issues is he having?

Luv my Duc!!! I have a 03 749 and I'm just shy of 18K miles and it has yet to see the shop for anything other than service...

I myself want an 848 but in no way can afford one
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by OldKneeDragger View Post
    Worse than mine? http://www.Ducati-Lies.com ... what kind of issues is he having?
    I don't believe his problems were as bad as yours, and I think his are now fixed. The dealer continued to work on the issues and I believe they were warrantied. They just took a long time.

First he was having trouble with the fuel/air mix, and the dealer couldn't figure out what was causing it. Changed out cams, ECU, a bunch of other stuff....that was just after he bought it last winter and it took something like 3 months to work it out. It was eventually fixed.

After that small stuff, his new full Termi system had a header snap, stuff like that. The bike seems to be working well now and he's happy with it, but he was pretty stressed out at the beginning of the summer. He just wasn't getting to ride the bike because it kept breaking.

Just by reading the above posts and some people I have talked to; is it possible that the 748 and 848 are more on the reliable side while the bigger 999 and 1098 have some issues? Or could that be a gross overgeneralization? Just curious on your thoughts.

I think that the test ride is going to be the ultimate determinant factor. I'm afraid of the 848 only having 600cc-Class horsepower. I'm afraid that I may end up on a liter-bike.

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible View Post
    I think that the test ride is going to be the ultimate determinant factor. I'm afraid of the 848 only having 600cc-Class horsepower. I'm afraid that I may end up on a liter-bike.
    Make no mistake, every 600 out there today has more horsepower than you need. I was going around Miller on a 600RR with a passenger on the back. It was a 210 lb novice racer from Utah. When we got off the bike he said " I would have never guessed a 600 was THAT fast "

Have no fear, plenty of power. You don't NEED a literbike. Question is, do you want one?

s

He had a busa till someone pulled out in front of him.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Just by reading the above posts and some people I have talked to; is it possible that the 748 and 848 are more on the reliable side while the bigger 999 and 1098 have some issues? Or could that be a gross overgeneralization? Just curious on your thoughts.
    I think part of the issue might be that the 1098 and the 999 lead the way in terms of release. Usually the smaller displacement bikes follow a year or so later. In the case of both the 749 and the 848 this was true.

This gives Ducati a chance to work out some of the bugs they experience with the bigger bikes before they let the little ones hit the market.

Another thing to consider is that with more displacement, more power etc there is an increase for the potential of problems. Simply more mass moving around inside the engine. In the case of the 1098, those pistons are freaking HUGE, and I would guess that it has an effect on the durability of the engine.

In the case of the 748/996 bikes, the only real difference between them was crank, cylinders and pistons. All the other bits were essentially the same, so you have something built to take liter power running around with a smaller displacement...probably some inherient durability built in that way.

Thoughts of a ducati owner...

My experience was with a 900ss years ago. Even though it wasn't the fastest, it handled great.

And Ducati's seem to have soul whereas the other makers seem to be a bit more reliable/less finikey (sp).
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Make no mistake, every 600 out there today has more horsepower than you need.
    +1

I think part of the issue might be that the 1098 and the 999 lead the way in terms of release. Usually the smaller displacement bikes follow a year or so later. In the case of both the 749 and the 848 this was true. This gives Ducati a chance to work out some of the bugs they experience with the bigger bikes before they let the little ones hit the market.

so you have something built to take liter power running around with a smaller displacement...probably some inherient durability built in that way.
    Good points, thanks! I didn't know it was mostly the same components.

Agreed, the smaller ducs have plenty power, and deliver it in a way that really makes them good fun in the canyons.

I have a 748, and they aren't without (potentially expensive) problems, though. Flaking rocker arms and charging systems (on the early ones) to name the most common two. I've never owned or done much research on the newer ones, but I hear they 749s are supposed to be quite reliable.

I've also owned a mid 90s supersport. If you're worried about maintenance costs, and are mechanically inclined, the 2valvers are a less expensive introduction to ducati ownership. You could get a nice 90s supersport in the $3-4k if you like them, and they run and run. Also a nice canyon bike.

Thoughts of another ducati owner...

peter.

I had a two-valver 750 Sport. The ergos didn't fit me; I was basically laying on the tank to take the stress off my wrists. Nice canyon carver but not for any length of time, and I like to go on longer rides.

The air-cooled ones are pretty reliable, enough to run an iron butt on; as the previous owner of mine did.

The 848 is pretty nice, very flickable in transitions. I rode one at the Duc truck demo day; it almost could use a steering stabilizer though.
    Last edited by asp_125; Mon Sep 29th, 2008 at 05:39 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...