Thread: Leave it to Honda ...

Leave it to Honda ...

To build a simulator that costs as much as the real thing.

...doesn't stop me from wanting one though.

" HONDA SMARTRAINER
    Virtual motorcycle training that virtually puts you in the middle of traffic...

Like most activities worth doing, motorcycling doesn't translate into a simulated world all that well. Most motorcycle simulators attempt to mimic the riding experience rather than the rider's actions. The end result, though entertaining, simply can't compete with the real thing. But Honda's SMARTrainer is not a simulation of the riding experience; rather, it's a simulation of the riding act.

The SMARTrainer looks like some sort of New Age work station, utilizing the seat from a Ruckus Scooter, plus footpegs complete with a shifter and rear brake pedal. There is a full set of hand controls, and a flat-screen monitor provides a window into the virtual mean streets. A simple setup with a somewhat motorcycle-ish feel.
    The magic happens after you select your vehicle (scooter or motorcycle) and the riding scenario. After a quick practice run through a car-less city (you can choose the amount of traffic to play in), I attempted my first "real" ride in city traffic. An amazing thing happened—it felt reasonably real! In no time, I found my foot sliding off the peg and onto the ground at red lights.

The true proof of the SMARTrainer's effectiveness came about 15 minutes into the experience. While slowing for a red light in the left lane, I saw a break in the line of cars in my lane at a corner gas station. Predictably, a yellow sedan stuck its nose out, oblivious to my virtual cycle. Instinctively I swerved and muttered "Jackass!" as I rolled by. For that instant it was real.
    The SMARTrainer is a darn good learning tool. As I rode back to the office from Honda's Torrance HQ, I was amazed at how many of the simulator's scenarios unfolded along the way. Little things that an experienced rider intuitively deals with, but could present a challenge to those whose riding experience consists of learning the controls in a parking lot.

The SMARTrainer comes complete with a frame, computer, monitor and the above-mentioned seat/controls. It weights about 60 pounds, takes up about the same amount of space as a motorcycle and retails for $5000. Honda already has SMARTrainers in 38 Honda Powerhouse dealerships across the country. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) is also utilizing the SMARTrainers. Honda and the MSF's goals are to get SMARTrainers in the hands of certified motorcycle instructors as well as trained dealership personnel so that they can offer potential riders a virtual taste of what to expect when they take to the actual streets.
    —Corey Eastman"

Announcer On Radio: Eyewitnesses say that the bees are yellow and black, and dress much the way Eli Wallach did in the movie "The Magnificant Seven". The bees are also overweight..
    Chevy Chase: Wait a minute.. you must be..
    Elliot Gould: That's right, gringo.. the Killer Bees.

Re: Leave it to Honda ...

sounds cool
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Re: Leave it to Honda ...

Must have .. for Playstation MotoGP
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...