View Poll Results: Have you ever been stung by a bee while riding?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's happened to me more than once.

29 31.18%
  • Yes.

22 23.66%
  • No, but had a close call and narrowly escaped getting stung.

19 20.43%
  • No (not yet?).

23 24.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever been stung by a bee while riding?

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Ever been stung by a bee while riding?

It happened to me Saturday morning coming into Palmer lake from Monument... shocked the hell outta me! I now have a nice red welt on my neck!

I know there have been a few threads by people who have gotten stung, but I figured why not start a collective thread & see how common this actually is.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Re: Ever been stung by a bee while riding?

Yep, got stung several times on my back by the same yellow jacket.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

AKA "Devaclis"

On my old Hawk, I had a wasp hit my helmet and then fall into my lap. I guess I squished it a little on the gas tank because it stung me in the crotch 3 or 4 times before I could pull over, grab the wasp, set it on fire, shoot it in the head, and disembowel it in front if its children. Little shit.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I was riding with my mesh jacket once and it must've gotten caught in the mesh b/c next thing I knew I got stung in the neck and another one on my wrist where the glove ended.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    On my old Hawk, I had a wasp hit my helmet and then fall into my lap. I guess I squished it a little on the gas tank because it stung me in the crotch 3 or 4 times before I could pull over, grab the wasp, set it on fire, shoot it in the head, and disembowel it in front if its children. Little shit.
    It probably thought the Hawk was a super-queen.

Never been stung by one. I guess the red-white-blue paint schemes repel them.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

During a track day, on a long high speed sweeper, had a bee fly up the front of my helmet inside the closed visor... Did not end well for the bee, and I almost pooped a little...

<----------Allergic

I have been stung many times.

One inside my jacket
    Twice inside my helmet
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

AKA "Devaclis"

^^That's only 3. MANY is like, 5 or something.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Had one come into my jacket and sting me right by Dirks house, shoulda seen me pulling over then. Flinging my helmet and jacket off into someones yard while trying to put the kickstand down and get off the bike all at the same time.

Just a few..... lol

My first one didnt sting me, but it was one of those big fuckers like end of your thumb big, and furry... anyway, i saw it coming for me, it bounced off my visor and stung the guy behind me on the neck... unfortunately he was allergic....

my first actual sting happened when i was riding the bike 2 blocks in some shorts... luckily it was several inches away from being "fatal" lol....

Next one must have been inside my helmet already, cuz about 10 min from the fuel up i felt it sting my head, and i just wacked my head to kill it thinking it was a normal bug and went down the road... next stop, i had already forgotten about it and my gf at the time pointed out that i had something bloody looking on my head, turns out it was the stinger and entrails from the bee that stuing me, his outer shell was still in the helmet... must have died trying to crawl away by grabbing the helmet lining.... lol

The next one hit me on the neck, and i got kidded the whole weekend about making out with myself and giving myself a hickey.... lol

My last one truly sucked.... bounced off my jacket, went up my helmet and inside my left nostril, i wiggled my nose to try and get it out, and it stung me without warning.... being such a sensitive area, i grabbed the brakes as i yelled at the damn bee, and the tears started welling up.... the guy i was riding with rode back in a couple min and i was picking bee guts from my nose

06 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    It happened to me Saturday morning coming into Palmer lake from Monument... shocked the hell outta me! I now have a nice red welt on my neck!

I know there have been a few threads by people who have gotten stung, but I figured why not start a collective thread & see how common this actually is.
    Not common at all. I live in Palmer Lake and I've never been stung by a bee.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

LOL,
    "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSgqrrWyF0Y

I've been lucky, had them fly in my helmet and jacket, but never stung me.
    Worst bee encounter was riding down the highway on the Hardly at about 80 mph (no helmet) and one of those huge bummble bees smacked me right between the eyes.
    The impact jerked my head back like a punch and raised a welt almost the size of a golfball on my forhead.

Where's Cathy's post (Mtnairlover)?
    I thought she was the reigning queen of bee stings.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Not while riding. At the end of a break, I put my helmet back on and got hit in the forehead. Seemed like a bee took up residence and did not like my melon sharing it with him. Should have checked the helmet first...

John

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

4 times.

In the neck in my neighborhood going to the store...right where the Adams Apple normally is...looked like one after it stung me.

On the inside of my left leg between it and the tank. Thought I was stung...didn't look down, but then felt the pain as the venom slowly oozed into my system...kept oozing for a good 20 minutes, too...gah!

Up under the lip of the back of my helmet...how that happened, I'll never know.

Last time was just about the crotch area and I stopped immediately, dismounted and proceeded to do a lil dance in front of Chad who was listening to his i-pod and laughing his ass off.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

got a wasp in the helmet riding through the DTC. By the time I could pull over and get the helmet off, the little bastard got me a couple of times on my cheek.

This was the first time I had been stung by a wasp and my dad is deathly allergic so I was a bit concerned... I sat in the parking lot for about ten minutes, didn't notice any major swelling (other than expected) and no change in breathing patterns so was off again... just with a really sore cheek.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

many times. and now im angry thinking about it. im going to go punch bee's in the face!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

I was stung while in CA. My jacket is fairly snug, so not sure how the lil guy got into my jacket.

As I was riding I felt a bit of discomfort just above my right breasteseses in my chest. I had never been stung before, so just guessed maybe a wasp. I smacked my jacket as hard as I could while riding. I felt another whip and smacked my jacket again. I couldn’t feel any movement but started to feel a very sharp pain deep in my chest.

Really, it wasn’t the multiple stings that bothered me as much as the tightening in my chest. That part freeked me out a lil.

I’m not allergic that I know of, but that tightening, and my breathing changed a bit so I’m glad I wasn’t far from the hotel that day. When I opened my jacket, the lil guy was still barely alive and still giving everything he had left in him. (must have been a man wasp)

My right breast got bigger (not a good thing) and he died.

The end.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Mon Oct 20th, 2008 at 01:51 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMike View Post
    many times. and now im angry thinking about it. im going to go punch bee's in the face!
    You should just punch Terri in the boob.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Last time was just about the crotch area and I stopped immediately, dismounted and proceeded to do a lil dance in front of Chad who was listening to his i-pod and laughing his ass off.
    HAHAHAHA that was pretty funny. Thanks for the memories.... oh good times
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Not to change the topic, but honestly that wasp sting was nothing. I would rather take that, as opposed to a bird to the throat ANY day of the week.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

my first time at pmp, forgot to zip up the leathers...

I won't be making that mistake again!

Bee DSM: Likes that shiny vinyl look.

Yellow Jacket. No barb on stinger. Stings continuously. Bites and bites again. Mandibles chew through wood (and your skin). The best part is that wasp venom contains a chemical alarm pheromone that signals other wasps to attack. So does aggressive movement like swatting or running.

One summer, several years ago, I mowed over a ground nest. I thought I had brushed up against some barbs of a bush only to realize that my arm and leg were covered with about 20 of the fuckers. I dove into my hot tub for safety. I chewed down several antihistamines (to reduce swelling and counter the effect of the venom on my nervous system). Lucked out--not allergic.

Busy Bee: Nice fury coat. Honey Bee. Barbed stinger (leaves stinger in your skin).
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

My first real long trip (Virginia to Idaho, up to Canada and back via Buffalo), I'd just crossed into Canada from Idaho, pulled in to the rest area after then crossing and threw away some trash. As I pulled out of the area, I felt a *sting* in the crook of my right arm. Then *sting*, then as I looked down to see a yellow jacket laying in my arm, *sting* again.

Then riding to work in DC, a yellow jacket got me in the left crook of the neck with three good stings. When I got to work, my whole neck had swelled. It wasn't long after that that I had to hit the nurses office as I was feeling dizzy and a little sick. They iced it and kept an eye on me for a couple of hours until the swelling went down.

Once in Montana I looked down at the edge of my helmet just inside the visor and there was a pretty stunned looking bee staggering around. I pulled over and let him go.

I was heading home and going through Lafayette when I felt movement around my right ear. I shifted the helmet a bit to kill whatever it was. When it kept moving, I was thinking it'd get in my ear so I pulled over and pulled off the helmet. A wasp fell out on the ground.

Not riding but back in Virginia we kept finding yellow jackets flying around inside the house. We finally tracked them down to the laundry room. The downstairs of the house was concrete and set into the hill a little (the back yard came about 2/3rd's up the first floor). The top floor was wooden. So there was a sufficient gap between the wood and the concrete for yellowjackets to build a nest in the overhang which was open into the laundry room. I used some yellowjacket killer and sprayed it up into the joist where the next was (I could see it with a flashlight) and then hotfooted it out of the laundry room. I could hear some mad buzzing behind that door. We'd dropped a towel down so they couldn't get out through the opening under the door. After a few hours, we opened the door and there were hundreds of dead yellowjackets on the windowsill and all over the floors. We were sweeping up dead bugs for some time.

Same house, same problem twice more. The second one, they had built in the ceiling above the downstairs bathroom (next to the laundry room). They'd exploited an opening in the baseboard heat pipes and were coming up into the upstairs. I found them when I was vacuuming and they came flying out. I got stung in the back of the leg and just above and to the left of my left eye. It got so I couldn't see out of that eye even with ice. I had an exterminator come out and use some sevendust on them. The third time I spotted them flying in and out of an opening just a few feet away from the last one. I had the exterminator whack them too.

When I rebuilt the downstairs bathroom and pulled down the ceiling, I found a large pumpkin sized yellowjacket nest between the joists (the second nest) and then there was a 4" wide joist that went from the edge of the house back to the center metal support that was filled with nest.

Man, makes me itch just thinking about it.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!