Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on SUV's

Need opinions on SUV's

So it looks like we'll be trading in the coupe for an SUV, but I've never even thought about buying one and really don't know much about them. I know we want a 2-4 yrs old, small or midsize with a 6 cyl. and want to keep the price under $15k.

Have you had good experiences? Bad? What should I get?
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Re: Need opinions on SUV's

I have a 2004 Nissan Xterra XE-V6 (non-supercharged), 5-speed manual 4wd. I bought it brand new back in 2004 from a dealer, and after haggling it was only $18k fully loaded.

Since then, I have absolutely no complaints! It is unstoppable with BFG AT/KO tires in the snow. The only minor issue I do have is that driving up into the mountains, it seems a bit underpowered. Then again, it could be my 33" tires (stock were 31s) and the extra 5.5" lift I've got on it.

You could probably pick up a 2005 or newer (has the 260hp engine) for less than $15k, with the gas prices high and all. I get about 13-14mpg in mine, but rarely drive it because the bike gets much better mileage.

If you have any other questions about the xterra, let me know and I should be able to answer them. You could even check out www.xterraownersclub.com to find out if a deal you're getting is a good one or not.

Good luck!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

My 2006 XTerra Rocks. Manual V-8 and 6 speed. (although I am not convinced it was my best choice - here is what I CAN say)

Good:
    It's plasticy inside so the dogs can party on and not wreck the interior.
    Can go mudding and hose the sucker out afterwards (k not really but close)
    V-8 passes like a mofo on the hwy and yet 4 wheels on some grindy roads and the snow season....that sucker rocks.
    For as small as it looks outwardly, you would be suprised how much camping gear I can fit in and on top of that sucker...and have (at one time) 3 dogs in the back.
    If you suck up to the hottie sales boy/girl, you to can own the highly coveted emergency kit (yea, it doesn't come with it - so be on good behavior for THAT sucker) But if you get it, it's pretty nice.

Bad:
    It's plasticy, not many bells and whistles but it's a trade off
    About 17 MPG hwy. Yea.....bad!

But I love it!
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Wed Oct 29th, 2008 at 08:23 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

my .02... for what that's worth.

Really depends on how much size you want and what you plan on doing with it...

If you're looking for a go anywhere (relatively speaking) SUV, go w/ the xterra/pathfinder or jeep cherokee. You'll get nominal room and more rugged suspension, going closer to the truck route. Great for all season roads and the occasional off road trip.

If you're looking just for size and all season driving, but don't plan on going camping or something along those lines, check out either of the Honda suv's CRV and Pilot. I have friends who own both and love them... but they aren't exactly mountain people.

You may also want to check out 03'sh Durangos... before they biggie sized them. The 5.7L v8 is a great engine and the Dakota platform is bulletproof.

Personally, I prefer trucks... and if I had to replace my ram, I'd probably get another truck... but the club cab is a must. Best of both worlds.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    You may also want to check out 03'sh Durangos... before they biggie sized them. The 5.7L v8 is a great engine and the Dakota platform is bulletproof.
    I owned a Dodge Dakota once. Far from bulletproof. In fact, it was the biggest piece of sh!t I've ever owned. Pretty much everyone I know that's owned dodge trucks has regretted buying them. But that's just my experience...

I've got a Chevy Tahoe with the Z-71 package. I love this truck, and in my opinion the gas savings with the V6 SUV isn't really worth it. Get the V8 and I doubt you'll regret it.

'02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I figured this thread will go down the "no your truck sucks" route, so I'll just say that the only vehicle I regret getting rid of was my Dakota. I never had any problems with it... my sister had nothing but problems w/ her tahoe, so it's all a matter of personal experiences & preferences...

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that Suzuki's suck... no doubt about it... stoopid gixxers... well, except for those euro gixxer 650's... those are sweet.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I would follow Salshark's recommendation and check out the Jeep Cherokee (pre 2005). After 8 years behind the wheel of a Ford Explorer, and dealing with CV joints and the frustrations of IFS (Indepdent Front Suspension), I decided for the solid axle of the Cherokee on my latest SUV purchase.

Yes, IFS has a smoother ride, but if you intend to do ANY serious off-roading (anything beyond Guennella Pass or your average dirt road), a solid axle is a must.

The pre-2005 Cherokees or Wranglers (all years) are your friend. Yes, they suck at gas mileage, but with gas prices dropping faster than my hardon in a gay bar, we could be at sub $2.00 gas by next summer... just in time for 4-wheeling season!

There are also massive internet support forums for the Cherokees and Wranglers, and TONS of aftermarket parts (lift kits, upgraded axles, skid plates, etc.). You can spend just as much time and money mod'ing out your Cherokee or Wrangler as you do your motorcycle. And you'll have thousands of people - just a mouse click away - there to help you should you ever need it!
    Last edited by JustSomeDude; Wed Oct 29th, 2008 at 08:51 PM.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Salsa....don't you dare post whore this thread. Imma kicka yo ass. EVERYBODY in the WHOLE DANG UNITED STATES OF AMERICA....knows that Suzuki is secksayer.

I do believe in Nissan and they have taken very good care of me from a service standpoint, even when I owned the Maxima and the Sentra prior to that. I usually get exactly what I ask for. Course Imma perfect pain in the ass, but whose counting.

And service is something you need to consider with any purchase you choose. Even if you buy used, it's something you may need at some point. Just something to consider in your search.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Wed Oct 29th, 2008 at 09:04 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    The pre-2005 Cherokees or Wranglers (all years) are your friend. Yes, they suck at gas mileage, but with gas prices dropping faster than my hardon in a gay bar, we could be at sub $2.00 gas by next summer... just in time for 4-wheeling season!
    Why a Cherokee and not a 4runner? I was looking at a older 4x4 SUV, and sort of narrowed it down between the 2. The 4runner seemed to be a bit better fit and quality for a touch more money. And they effectively have the same features.

Just curious. NOT trying to start a jeep v toyota war.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    Yes, IFS has a smoother ride, but if you intend to do ANY serious off-roading (anything beyond Guennella Pass or your average dirt road), a solid axle is a must.
    I agree with that statement to a point. The point is where you say a solid axle is a must. I have done a ton with my IFS, its all about the driver and how well you plan your route. If you want to be like any jeepers out there, then jack your wrangler as high as you can, then thrust it as hard as you can towards a rock and see if you make it over. If not, repeat until you either flip, flop, lose your manliness, or succeed.

But in all seriousness, I think its better to start out with IFS if you plan to offroad. I learned so much by learning where to place my tires, where my pumpkin is, etc by attempting to make it over something and having a tough time.

Not getting on your case at all, just trying to shed light on the fact that IFS is not as bad as most think. After all, the Hummer H1's used IFS front and rear.[/hijack]

Quote Originally Posted by XJ600s View Post
    But in all seriousness, I think its better to start out with IFS if you plan to offroad. I learned so much by learning where to place my tires, where my pumpkin is, etc by attempting to make it over something and having a tough time.
    I disagree (pleasantly). I think if you PLAN to off-road, a solid axle is the place to start, then you know going in you'll always have more than enough (in most cases) than you'll need. Obviously, anything hardcore will still require axle upgrades (Dana 40, etc.). I think the IFS approach is more for the typical highway driver who dables off-road, but is usually limited to car camping, or light weekend warrior off-roading. Yeah, you can make it work on more aggressive terrain, but it's not what it was ever designed for.

I just like the JEEP because it is overbuilt for average driving, and there is a plethora of parts, kits, people, etc., who know how to do everything and anything TO it. You're never hard pressed to find information and/or help for work on a JEEP, and you can be comfortable knowing it will get you out of a bind in most situations (assuming your tires are up to par).

Well, I won't be doing any off-roading, so I've ruled out the serious off-roaders from Jeep. I also have toyed with the V8 idea, but my wife will be the primary driver. Based on the lead foot and evil grin she develops when she drives my V8 Grand Prix combined with her 60 mile daily commute, I think we can neither afford the gas nor the tickets she's sure to accrue. That means Tahoes/Yukons are out. Here are some that I've found on Cars.com:

Chevy Equinox
    Chevy Trailblazer
    Ford Explorer/Sportrac - will a bike fit in the back of a Sportrac? that'd be a bonus.
    GMC Envoy
    Honda Pilot
    Hyundai Santa Fe
    Nissan Murano
    Nissan Xterra
    Olds Bravada
    Pontiac Torrent
    Saab 9-7x
    Suzuki Grand Vitara
    Suzuki XL7
    Toyota 4Runner
    Toyota Highlander
    Toyota RAV4(2006+)
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I have a Trailblazer and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. I bought it new and it now has a little over 70,000 miles and the only problem I had was the recirc pump went out ($700 covered under warrenty) The inline 6 does a good job of towing a bike trailer, gear, and people. The biggest thing I noticed about it is that its the best winter vehicle I've ever owned (living in North and South Dakota I've driven a lot in those conditions) and I would certainly buy another one.

My mom just bought a Pontiac Torrent GXP and she loves it as its a little smaller than a Trailblazer/Envoy. Easy to maneuver and get in and out of if your not towing/transporting a lot of stuff.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Everything I tow now I have been pulling around with my Toyota Solara, so pretty much any SUV will do for towing duty.

I just read that Saab's come with a 6 year, 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty. That's pretty freakin awesome. Does anyone else have a warranty that good?

I like the Torrent GXP, but I can't find any in my price range.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

My new 2007 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 rocks. It replaced the 1985 Toyota 4Runner SR5 that I bought new in 1985 from Douglass Toyota on 104th in Northglenn. After 250,000 miles and one engine it was time to upgrade. BTW --- I still have the 1985 and am pondering the notion of selling it.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

I figured this thread will go down the "no your truck sucks" route, so I'll just say that the only vehicle I regret getting rid of was my Dakota. I never had any problems with it... my sister had nothing but problems w/ her tahoe, so it's all a matter of personal experiences & preferences...

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that Suzuki's suck... no doubt about it... stoopid gixxers... well, except for those euro gixxer 650's... those are sweet.
    True, one persons lemon is another's bulletproof ride...

But, if there's one thing we can all agree on is that Suzuki's suck.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I love my Dodge Ram, but not as much as I loved my Jeep Wrangler. If you're not going to be driving off the road, but you want room, and gas mileage, and some decent power I think the HHR SS is a winner. Yes it's ugly, but it's fast for the segment that it is in and it gets 30 mpg. Unfortunately you're not going to find one in your price range just yet. If you want good gas mileage you aren't going to find it in the Jeep line up unfortunately, but if you can live with the mileage I would test drive the Jeep Compass or Patriot. I haven't been in either vehicle but you can lock their AWD system for a "true" 4x4 which would be nice to have in the event of deep snow.
    But really before anyone can make meaningful recommendations we need to know why you want an SUV. Is it the room? The available 4x4 systems? The height? My personal favorite small SUV right now for my wife's primary vehicle is the new Jeep Liberty with the Sky Slider top. To me it seems to have decent room, a true 4x4 system, pretty good off road capability, decent towing, and it's a rag top. Now for me, if money was of no concern, I would be buying a 4 door Rubicon.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Why a Cherokee and not a 4runner? I was looking at a older 4x4 SUV, and sort of narrowed it down between the 2. The 4runner seemed to be a bit better fit and quality for a touch more money. And they effectively have the same features.

Just curious. NOT trying to start a jeep v toyota war.
    I don't want to fuel the Jeep Vs. Toyota War, but I think either vehicle is a good choice if you are compairing solid front axle models. I had a '84 Toyota pickup and that thing would not get stuck. If you are looking to spend any serious time off road, solid front axle is the way to go

I just picked up a 2000 Jeep Cherokee so I can take the family offroading. If you are looking for something that is ready to go offroad out of the box or with very little modification, go with a solid front axle Jeep. I am getting about 17 miles to the gallon with a heavy foot, 4" lift and 31's. I would also have to say that of all the vehicle I have owned, I have the fewest issues with the Jeeps.

There's no place like home............

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    ---Well, I won't be doing any off-roading
    ---my wife will be the primary driver.
    ---lead foot and evil grin she develops when she drives my V8 Grand Prix
    ---60 mile daily commute
    Depending on how many people you will be hauling around, go with the Toyota Rav4 or a Honda CRV or something similar. I know you said you are looking for something with a 6-cyl, but for what you are going to use it for, a 4-cyl will be more than enough.

There's no place like home............

AKA "Devaclis"

Our Nissan Murano is great. We got it loaded. Ours is only 2WD and it does well in the snow. Comfy, V6, 19-22 MPG, smooth, we haul dirt and bricks and stuff in that thing. I can't really say anything bad about it.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I want everyone here to take one little peice of knowledge away from me. I have been working on cars since i was 15, i wrench, paint and body, stereos, interiors and all the stuff in between. one thing to keep in mind, there is no such thing as a perfect car, every car of every style brand and model have their good, average, and lemons. EVERY CAR AT SOME POINT OR ANOTHER IS A PEICE OF SHIT! that being said, import engines tend to live a bit longer but expect to spend a bit more to repair when its time. The engine in the suv range that i will stand behind is the jeeps inline 6. it is an excellent engine. usually jeep owners have everything else around the engine fall apart before the motor dies.

Also they do have a gr. cherokee out that has the cummins deisel, if that interests you.
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Another xterra owner here. Awesome truck actually. I have absolutely zero complaints other than the somewhat bland interior options.

AKA "Devaclis"

SeXterra, mmmmmmmmm
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I used to have a Frontier Crewcab (aka Xterra platform) that was my do everything vehicle. 19-20mpg wasn't great, but it was darn near bulletproof. Even though it had IFS I took it up some pretty rough trails without damage. It could also tow my bike, haul flagstone, or carry a few passengers and gear. With the right tires it was great in the snow, I used it to pull neighbors cars out of snowbanks during that spring blizzard a couple years ago.

My Murano SE/AWD that I replaced it with is nicer appointed, faster, and less off-road capable, but gets 21mpg and pretty reliable so far; just not as versatile.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...