Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People are inherently good.

People are inherently good.

Ok. This morning for me was not ideal. I was returning a plumbing snake to the rental place when I noticed my back tire was pretty much flat. I drove across the street to a car wash place where I saw an air pump. Looked in my wallet...no quarters. Luckily this place had a credit card coin machine...but it was out of service. A nice guy pulled up and saw me standing there with a look of disappointment on my face, so he gave me a dollar in quarters! I was so relieved. I put all the quarters in the air machine...to realize that the air pump was broken. I barried my head in my hands and started balling my eyes out, which is not the usual for me but being as stressed as I am about the plumbing issues in my house, what can I say?! He came back over and gave me another dollar in quarters and told me that karma will come back to him when he needs it, one of the nicest strangers I have ever met. I went across the street again to a gas station. The air pump there was in working order and put just enough air in my tires to make it to work!

Lessons learned:
    1. Keep a stash of quarters in my truck.
    2. Help out a stranger in need, cuz karma WILL come back to you!!!

Feel free to post up some of the selfless good deeds you have done to help out a stranger

Re: People are inherently good.

I was pumping gas one day and noticed a lady having difficulty using the air pump. She couldn't get the air valve on the pump to work.

It was an easy thing for me to do to help her. She thanked me and told me that it was the first time she had to fill her own tires. She said that her husband had died a few months ago and she was having to learn to do things for herself that he would normally have done.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I've helped out shorter people in grocery stores to reach things on high shelves that were set back a bit. That's one thing that comes to mind.

It's not that hard and goes a long way in making my day as well as someone else's day maybe a little brighter (if even for a moment).
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by nattynoo View Post
    Ok. This morning for me was not ideal. I was returning a plumbing snake to the rental place when I noticed my back tire was pretty much flat. I drove across the street to a car wash place where I saw an air pump. Looked in my wallet...no quarters. Luckily this place had a credit card coin machine...but it was out of service. A nice guy pulled up and saw me standing there with a look of disappointment on my face, so he gave me a dollar in quarters! I was so relieved. I put all the quarters in the air machine...to realize that the air pump was broken. I barried my head in my hands and started balling my eyes out, which is not the usual for me but being as stressed as I am about the plumbing issues in my house, what can I say?! He came back over and gave me another dollar in quarters and told me that karma will come back to him when he needs it, one of the nicest strangers I have ever met. I went across the street again to a gas station. The air pump there was in working order and put just enough air in my tires to make it to work!

Lessons learned:
    1. Keep a stash of quarters in my truck.
    2. Help out a stranger in need, cuz karma WILL come back to you!!!
    You must be an attractive woman. He probably would have told me to just blow it up myself using my lips.

Recent good deeds....Hmmm, there have been so many, but here is one:
    There was a man in a wheelchair trying to cross the road. He wasn't using his hand to move the wheels, he was pulling himself with his good leg. The light turned against him and the cars were ready to run him over. I stopped and held up everyone while I got out and pushed him the rest of the way (I was going cross traffic, so he wasn't holding me up).
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

During the big snowstorm last spring I ended up pulling a truck and two cars out of snowbanks.

It took me 3hrs to make the drive from Golden to Longmont and I almost got stuck a time or two myself, but there was a 2wd pickup on this side road crawling along and getting sideways stuck in the grass every 50ft or so. Out of selfish motive just to get home, I hooked him up on a tow strap and with me in 4-lo, I dragged him a mile to the main road where we could both be on our way. Then later there was this lady who high centered her Accord coming out of a parking lot, she was looking frustrated and getting nowhere, and it was getting dark. So out came the tow strap and sent her on her merry way. That same weekend one of the neighbors had a friend who got stuck at the hill at the end of my street, after watching her spin the tires a bit, I got out the truck and pulled her back on to the road.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Good for him, now it's your turn.
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

Yes people are inherently good.. just count the number of times somebody here has stepped up getting a stranded fellow rider home, or done things for them after a crash.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    You must be an attractive woman. He probably would have told me to just blow it up myself using my lips.
    I don't think my looks really had anything to do with it, in this case, because he was like 65 or 70. Just a really nice guy.

About 4 or 5 years ago, I went out to dinner with my boyfriend at the time for our anniversary. We went to a really nice restaurant and spent probably $200 total. Of course we had left overs, but on our way to the drive in we saw a guy sitting on the side of the road with a dog and a HUGE backpacking backpack. He wasn't holding a sign or hitchiking, just sitting on the side of the road in the middle of November. We gave him our leftovers, probably fifty dollars worth of gourmet food, since we didn't have any cash. I will never forget the look of encouragement and thanks on his face!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Natalie, I'm glad you are okay and that someone helped you. I hope your day gets better.

Random Acts of Kindness are fantastic.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    I've helped out shorter people in grocery stores to reach things on high shelves that were set back a bit. That's one thing that comes to mind.
    I help short people too, I put them on my shoulders so they can get it themselfs. And while their up there I always ask them "hows the weather up there" it makes them feel gooder
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Yes people are inherently good.. just count the number of times somebody here has stepped up getting a stranded fellow rider home, or done things for them after a crash.
    Who the hell would do that?
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    it makes them feel gooder
    lol...thanks for the laugh...you just made me feel gooder, too...awe ain't karma a wonderful feelin'?
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Natty did you get your plumbing problem fixed? If you ever need any help on home repairs and maintenance. fell free to ask

Pay it Forward
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Who the hell would do that?
    YOU!!!
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    Natalie, I'm glad you are okay and that someone helped you. I hope your day gets better.

Random Acts of Kindness are fantastic.
    I used to make it a point to do at least one random act of kindness a month. The trick is to that it has to be completely random and, if possible, the person/people should have no idea who did it. I have lots of stories about this sort of thing . . .

My favorite one was one that my mom did. There was this old guy in her town that walked around every morning with a rickety old wheel barrow (that was literally falling apart) and collected old newspapers to take them to recycle for money. Apparently, it was the only income that he had. One day my mom went and bought a new wheel barrow, and replaced his old one with the new one. The next day, he was on top of the world. When he stopped by her shop, they talked for a while. He had no idea where the wheel barrow came from, but was very excited by it. This is just one of many stories . . .
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    Natty did you get your plumbing problem fixed? If you ever need any help on home repairs and maintenance. fell free to ask
    No. I called a plumber and they came out to the house and told me that it would be like $800 to fix, cuz they would have to take the toilet off, snake the line and then put it back on. For the life of me, I cannot imagine why it should be so much! So I told them "Ah hell no!" and went and rented a snake myself. My dad and I worked on it for a few hours last night, to no avail. The snake kept going up the air vent instead of the sewer line. I feel terrible cuz both my tenants have been without a toilet for two days now!!! We called it quits with the snake and put some chemicals down there to see if that would work. My dad is going back today to work on it some more....

If anyone has any advice or ideas...PLEASE let me know cuz I really don't want to have to spend $800 if possible.

No. I called a plumber and they came out to the house and told me that it would be like $800 to fix, cuz they would have to take the toilet off, snake the line and then put it back on. For the life of me, I cannot imagine why it should be so much! So I told them "Ah hell no!" and went and rented a snake myself. My dad and I worked on it for a few hours last night, to no avail. The snake kept going up the air vent instead of the sewer line. I feel terrible cuz both my tenants have been without a toilet for two days now!!! We called it quits with the snake and put some chemicals down there to see if that would work. My dad is going back today to work on it some more....

If anyone has any advice or ideas...PLEASE let me know cuz I really don't want to have to spend $800 if possible.
    Call Dirk.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

I went to court on a speeding ticket I got in Cherry Hills.
    The judge was really cool and sighting my very clean driving record cut me a deal. ($175 fine dropped to $50)

An older woman (mid 50's) who's case was right before mine also got a $50 fine.
    She told the judge how she was recently divorced, had three kids, just started working again, and was low on funds.
    She asked if the fine could be paid in installments.
    I was behind her at the clerks window while she paid $10 down and was setting up arrangements to pay the rest.
    I interupted her and handed the clerk the remaining $40 for her fine.
    (I was expecting at least a $100 for my ticket so I figured what the hell.)

I just told her I had a lot of bad Karma to burn off and asked her to help out someone else someday once she was back on her feet.
    I have never seen a person so shocked and thankful as that woman was.

I can't take much credit for doing it though. It was purely for selfish reasons.
    The warm feeling you get from helping out someone who truely needs and appreciates it is worth a hell of a lot more than $40 ever could be.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    I went to court on a speeding ticket I got in Cherry Hills.
    The judge was really cool and sighting my very clean driving record cut me a deal. ($175 fine dropped to $50)

An older woman (mid 50's) who's case was right before mine also got a $50 fine.
    She told the judge how she was recently divorced, had three kids, just started working again, and was low on funds.
    She asked if the fine could be paid in installments.
    I was behind her at the clerks window while she paid $10 down and was setting up arrangements to pay the rest.
    I interupted her and handed the clerk the remaining $40 for her fine.
    (I was expecting at least a $100 for my ticket so I figured what the hell.)

I just told her I had a lot of bad Karma to burn off and asked her to help out someone else someday once she was back on her feet.
    I have never seen a person so shocked and thankful as that woman was.

I can't take much credit for doing it though. It was purely for selfish reasons.
    The warm feeling you get from helping out someone who truely needs and appreciates it is worth a hell of a lot more than $40 ever could be.
    I really don't think their is any selfless good deed that is not just a bit selfish because the act of doing selfless good deeds makes you feel good, therefore you do them to make yourself feel good.

I really don't think their is any selfless good deed that is not just a bit selfish because the act of doing selfless good deeds makes you feel good, therefore you do them to make yourself feel good.
    It's also know in some circles as making a deposit into the karma bank.

PM sent call me

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Call me a weirdo, but I like to get sometimes, and then just go drive around giving hitchhikers rides to places.

No, I'm not kidding.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Call me a weirdo, but I like to get sometimes, and then just go drive around giving hitchhikers rides to places.

No, I'm not kidding.
    Ones with ax's in hand no doubt.