View Poll Results: If there was a law, what should it be?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • At age 65 & every 5 years after that

5 20.00%
  • At age 70 & every 5 years after that

4 16.00%
  • At age 75 & every 5 years after that

1 4.00%
  • I think it should be longer than 5 years

1 4.00%
  • I think it should be shorter than 5 years

11 44.00%
  • In the best brittany spears fan voice "leave the elders alone!"

3 12.00%

Thread: Every wonder about our elders and driving?

Question Every wonder about our elders and driving?

I have seen several of our elders driving like shit lately. Going 10 under the speed limit, going west on a eastbound one way street, and not staying in their lane. I think there needs to be a law that get's them tested every 5 years or so after the age of like 65. What do you guys think?

Re: Every wonder about our elders and driving?

Missed an option.

I think everyone, regardless of age should be tested every 2 years and if they've received any tickets, they should be required to attend a driving school prior to retaking their test.

A problem we in the US have is that we prepare as a teen to take the driving test and then everything else is learned by experience. We should be going to classes every few years to refresh our knowledge and get our bad habits straightened out.

Unfortunately we can't easily enforce this or changes for the elderly because we don't have a good public transportation mentality in place. Yea, we have buses and trains but many folks equate public transportation with being poor and would rather not go than take a bus.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Didn't they do something like that in Florida after one too many elderly drivers plowed into cars and stuff? It's not a bad idea, only in my dad's case it'd be speeding.. he got tagged for 100mph in Wy. LOL His excuse, "I was passing that semi" They knocked it down to +20. Gotta watch those seniors.. crazy speed freaks.

I think they should modify the driving tests to include parallel parking while having a cell phone in one hand. Or a cone weave with a cup of coffee.. y'know more realism.
    Last edited by asp_125; Mon Nov 17th, 2008 at 08:50 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    Missed an option.

I think everyone, regardless of age should be tested every 2 years and if they've received any tickets, they should be required to attend a driving school prior to retaking their test.
    +1 but I would say at least every 5 years everyone should be tested regardless of age and tickets.
    '02 GSXR1000

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Two reasons it hasn't been done.
    1) No law can be passed that desciminates based on sex, race, age, or sexual orientation.
    In order to regulate re-testing it would have to be applied to everyone.
    If you think it takes long to get through the DMV, wait till everyone has to renewing every year or two.

2) AARP and other senior organizations are too strong a lobby and historically vote in record numbers.
    No politician who goes up against the Grays can hope to ever be re-elected.
    You piss them off and they'll vote a curfew on anyone under 60.
    (Simpson's did it.)

Plus as bad as they may seem, on average it's the teens and 20-somethings demographics that have the highest accident rates.

How old are you again man?
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Remember one day YOU too will be that old
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

The Who: "I hope I die before I get old."
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Git off mah lawn!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    The Who: "I hope I die before I get old."
    Too late, Jeff.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big-J View Post
    Too late, Jeff.
    If I ever see you on the road Big-J ...........

http://media.xhollywood.com/files7/car_owned.wmv
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

There is services available to those that shouldn't be driving and have seen the light. Access-a-ride is a great option for those that have lost given up driving but still want independence and its only 3.50 to drive them where ever RTD goes. When the gas prices were 4.00 a gallon I was thinking about using there service. If they ever give those drivers a raise the driver murder passenger rate might go down again. You can only hear "Your going to fast! Why are you taking the highway? Do you know where your going?" Before you start chucking granny's into the street. But its still better than letting them drive.

If they made the driving instructors work a full days work and made the test harder like a slower racing game but kept the time between renewals the same I would support it.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Well, Mr. De silva (too many damn Jeffs here.... has a couple good points, except that age discrimination is already alive and well in the US (and world). Maybe we Foggers are too old to remember this, but insurance companies already discriminate against your people for car insurance because they can show that stistically teenage males drivers are about as bad as.......old people. They discriminate against older people in their lie insurance policies but not car insurance rates (as they SHOULD). I think that, if you can show a valid statistical correlation, their rates SHOULD go up. My own grandfather was a total hazard, and he drove YEARS longer than he should have. Damn near killed me and my X1.

I've read far too many articles over the years where some old guy/gal killed people because, even though stone cold sober, they lacked the vision, physical reactions, and mental ability to wield a deadly weapon (car) safely. Start at 65, test them every 5, then every year at 70. And make it a DRIVING test, not just written exam. Make them do an emergency lane-change at 75.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

65 no more drive lol... naa some elders do ok and some suck.. in all reality "being a rider" i dont think all elders should suffer from some other elders that have prolly sucked ass at driving their whole lives..
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post

Plus as bad as they may seem, on average it's the teens and 20-somethings demographics that have the highest accident rates.

How old are you again man?
    Me i am one for making the Driving laws stricker. I am only 19 have had my license taken from me for speeding. Lost out on jobs cause of it to. I have never been in an at fualt accident. But because I am under 21 I have less points then someone who is over 21 (no matter how long they have been driving) and I have been driving for 3 years. I do not believe age is really the factor with driving just a matter of inexpreicse. And being as a teen is when most people start driving thats why they have higher accident rates then others. Everyone has bad habits when driving I have been run off the road in my car on my bike by people of all ages and it really bugs me when people start saying its all the teens faults. Agian I dont believe age is the main factor its just a matter on inexprecse and teens are the biggest in that because thats when most start driving there for being the biggest number. Make Getting your DL has hard as getting it in Germany and see where you are when the dust settles.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009