Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a new bike

Question looking for a new bike

Hi, Looking to purchase a new 600cc bike. Honda CBR 600 or Suzuki GSX-R 600?
    Live by Colorado and i25. Thanks for the help in advance...

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Re: looking for a new bike

craigslist is your new friend.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

If you seriously want help looking for a bike and aren't just getting your post count up so you can sell something you may want to add a little more information.

Budget?
    What are you going to use it for? (commuting, Canyon runs, track days, stunting, squiding, etc)
    Are you open to others?
    Why 600cc only?
    What's your experience level?
    '02 RC-51 - Street

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I did see another member selling his gixxer 600 for a good price.. But yea this all depends on if you are looking for brand new etc.

But pretty much what mcvaaahhh said, a little more input on what you are looking for would be alot more helpful.. IMO not a huge difference in 600-750 but to each his own i guess
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    If you seriously want help looking for a bike and aren't just getting your post count up so you can sell something you may want to add a little more information.

Budget?
    What are you going to use it for? (commuting, Canyon runs, track days, stunting, squiding, etc)
    Are you open to others?
    Why 600cc only?
    What's your experience level?
    Uhm, no sir. I don't care about the post count and you may find my answers below:
    Budget - less than 10k.
    use - just for pleasure, i am a newbie so no commuting, track days, or stunting.
    open to others- sure, what did you have in mind?
    600cc - cuz i am a newbie.
    experience - none.

Now, I know that I could have start with a 250cc or a much lesser bike. After taking the riding course and practicing on a friend's used bike, I think i will be fine. It's a great time to purchase something ...

Good call on the rider course. You really can't go wrong with any jap sport bike, they're all pretty much the same at your experience level anyway. I really like the newer R6's however and one can be had thats a year old or so for pretty cheap (6-7k)
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Are you open to buying something used or does it have to be NEW ??
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FALCONSEYE View Post
    Hi, Looking to purchase a new 600cc bike. Honda CBR 600 or Suzuki GSX-R 600?
    Live by Colorado and i25. Thanks for the help in advance...
    If you want to compare each bike we have a 07 CBR 600RR and a GSXR 600 that you could try out to help your decision making. If you decide you like one over the other we can point you in the direction of a couple dealers we do business with
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by FALCONSEYE View Post
    Uhm, no sir. I don't care about the post count and you may find my answers below:
    Budget - less than 10k.
    use - just for pleasure, i am a newbie so no commuting, track days, or stunting.
    open to others- sure, what did you have in mind?
    600cc - cuz i am a newbie.
    experience - none.

Now, I know that I could have start with a 250cc or a much lesser bike. After taking the riding course and practicing on a friend's used bike, I think i will be fine. It's a great time to purchase something ...

+1 on the riding course.

Since you're a noob I'd suggest NOT buying a new bike. Chances are you're going to drop it at low speed and it won't hurt as much if it's a slightly used bike rather than a new one you brought home from the dealership.

The performance of all of the japanese 600's are going to be quite comperable, especially for a noob that's not going to ride it anywhere near it's max. Unless you're partial to a particular brand or color scheme/style I'd suggest sitting on them all and finding the one that's most comfortable for you and that you can ride all day.
    '02 RC-51 - Street

~Dave Karlotski

Don't forget to budget some for gear and insurance. Good call on the course. I would recommend looking at the second tier sportbikes like the SV650 and Ninja 650R, or GSX-650 as well. They are not as demanding as the full on supersports for a newbie.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    +1 on the riding course.

Since you're a noob I'd suggest NOT buying a new bike. Chances are you're going to drop it at low speed and it won't hurt as much if it's a slightly used bike rather than a new one you brought home from the dealership.
    Also ask another member on this one. I forget his name. Bought a brand new 600 ninja. Dropped it twice or three times and then tried to sell it for mucho $$$. Buy used, its a lot easier to forgive yourself for mistakes that way
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

I think Sparker is selling his speed triple and Night Owl has an R6 for sale...
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I think Sparker is selling his speed triple...
    fixed it for ya!

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=26723
    Last edited by salsashark; Tue Nov 25th, 2008 at 01:11 PM.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

damn you Salsa.. now I sound like I have bad grammar ! lol
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

oops...

Look at a 500 too. It's gonna feel a lot like the 250 with a good deal more power, but not enough to kill yourself if you make a mistake. People often scoff at getting a lower cc bike, but the truth is that they hold their value, so if you buy used you're basically renting the thing until you decide to sell it, PLUS they are a hell of a lot more forgiving. The first time you have to sneeze in the middle of a corner and accidentally hit the throttle, what's gonna happen?

Now everyone's gonna say "blah blah blah a 600cc bike is a perfectly good starter bike" and you can pick one up and be fine, but they're not designed to be starter bikes. You don't learn stick in a Porche.

No matter what size you go with, for the love of God buy used
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Look at a 500 too. It's gonna feel a lot like the 250 with a good deal more power, but not enough to kill yourself if you make a mistake. People often scoff at getting a lower cc bike, but the truth is that they hold their value, so if you buy used you're basically renting the thing until you decide to sell it, PLUS they are a hell of a lot more forgiving. The first time you have to sneeze in the middle of a corner and accidentally hit the throttle, what's gonna happen?

Now everyone's gonna say "blah blah blah a 600cc bike is a perfectly good starter bike" and you can pick one up and be fine, but they're not designed to be starter bikes. You don't learn stick in a Porche.

No matter what size you go with, for the love of God buy used
    Silly... that's not a porche, it's a Ferrari!

Salsa, your bike has Lambo Doors on it doesn't it.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Last edited by asp_125; Tue Nov 25th, 2008 at 01:34 PM.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I agree with most of what's been said here:

My additions:

There are older 600's that are perfectly fine starter bikes

Basically 1998 and older 600's are forgiving rides that will do well with a newer rider on them.

That being said, and if you want a newer bike, I'm a big fan of the SV650, the Ninja 650 (twin) and the GS500. All are fine bikes and a lot of fun to ride. My favorite of all time is the NT650 Hawk, but good luck finding one of those in decent shape.

ex-500 (Ninja 500) FTW!!!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Salsa, your bike has Lambo Doors on it doesn't it.
    If you can't pop yo' collar... pop yo' doors...

... and if you are open to naked bikes.. Ducati Monster 600 series.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots