Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
You know, I'd say go with a $3500-$4000 bike for starters. Get an older bike, get comfortable riding and enjoy. Lower taxes, lower registration, lower insurance...etc. When you decide that you want something newer, it WILL hold more of it's value that the newer bikes will, so you can either sell it, or trade it in.

Frame sliders are a good thing. I recommend Woodcraft ones as they seem to be extremely well built compared to some others I've seen. They are the be all end all of bike protection, but they help.

You know I've seen in this thread a lot of people suggesting that you're going to drop the bike or fall down, and lord knows I'm not someone to have much of a comment on this matter, but I don't think you should "plan" for it per say. It's a very real consequence of what we do, but frame sliders or not the best way to keep your bike looking nice is to NOT fall down or drop it. Practice really good habits, keep learning, take an advanced rider course in the spring to keep your skills sharp.

First time pilots don't "plan" to crash. As new riders we shouldn't "plan" to drop the bike or "crash". Pilots train to have extremely good habits that greatly reduce the chances that they will crash and we can do the same thing.

s
good points.