Thread: Advice PLEASE??!!!

Advice PLEASE??!!!

So as some of you mite know I recently lost my job just a few days after I bought my first home... I have been searching high and low for jobs out there, and today I found one possibility. The job was for an over the road truck driver.. I like to drive don't get me wrong, but the thing is that I would be gone for like 6 weeks at a time and hardley ever home. The pay is ok but I wouldn't be able to enjoy my house, or ever have time for my bike, board or family and friends. I am just posting this to see if any one would like to try and help me make this decision because its SUPER hard for me as I really need the cash, (but I am also young and need a life) Any advice helps Thanks

Re: Advice PLEASE??!!!

Just because you take a job, it doesn't mean you can't keep looking...

Yeah, sounds like it's a rough decision, but so is foreclosure and bankruptcy...

My uncle is a distance trucker and once he got into it, he loves it... has a ranch now and on his off time, has several horses. His wife looks after them while he's on the road. He makes sure to take advantage of off time.

Good luck.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I agree take what you can get that will pay you now, and keep looking for something better. I had to work at McD's a while back when my wife and I first got together.Not a lot of fun but it got ther bills paid...and sometimes thats all that matters.
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

+1000. Find a way to pay the bills first. At the same time keep looking for something. Another way is to get a room mate to cover part of your mortgage.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Take the job. That way you can pay your bills while you look for that ideal job.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Long distance truck driver huh? That shouldn’t be a hard decision; you wanted to go to Alaska for a welding job so the diving job would be cake.

Just remember that your friends and family are not going anywhere (except your sister) anytime soon. And all your friends and family are sick of calling you a bum too.

I say take the job, look for something better while your paying your bills with the driving job. Plus, that sounds hella fun to drive a 18 wheeler.
    2003 Suzuki SV1000S
    1993 Yamaha FZR 600 Tear Down!!
    1996 Yamaha FZR 600 <Sold>
    Twitter!

Of course, take the job. The bills won't wait. I have done my fair share of over the road driving. From someone who has done it! Don't do it! The being away from home is hard enough, But when driving is your job? It really does become work. Not the vacation to Cali or something. The other thing that will mess you up is the weather. It's not a trip to go sking, It's working in a lot of bad weather conditions, in the middle of nowhere. I did this when I was young and invinceable. And it was no picknic. As far a being out for two weeks? That two weeks will turn into four weeks. Your dispatcher is going to use you to keep from deadheading it back home. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yea it would be simple to take the job and just keep looking for something else to come along, except for the fact that I would have to sign a contract with them for two years just so I can get the training needed to do this. I realize that my friends and family aren't going any where but up to 8 weeks at a time away from everything that I know and love would kill me especaily if something important happens. I really appretiate the advice guys I am just confused as hell because I have never been in this type of situation before and I hope i'm never in one like it again.

Try hitting up some of the tow truck companies this time of year. A former co-worker did this between jobs and says they get busy in the winter as soon as the snow hits.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...