Thread: Ultralight Personal Aircraft..... Tell me what you know...

Ultralight Personal Aircraft..... Tell me what you know...

As the subject states.... I'm interested in personal aircraft..... the kind with the hang-glider type foil with a chair and a big as fan attached to the back. I would like to know laws concerning airspace, flight restrictions, special licensing, if any, etc....

Now for the stupid "how my mind works" reasoning..... I was flipping through the channels last night and came upon a movie starring Steve Irwin, aka "The Crock Hunter", and it happened to be about the time that a chick was dropping dynamite at the boats in the river.... dont know much more than that, but it got me thinkin...... So on with it... anyone here dabble?

EDIT:

Last edited by PhL0aTeR; Mon Dec 1st, 2008 at 06:48 PM.

06 DR650SE

Re: Ultralight Personal Aircraft..... Tell me what you know...

Quote Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR View Post
    As the subject states.... I'm interested in personal aircraft..... the kind with the hang-glider type foil with a chair and a big as fan attached to the back. I would like to know laws concerning airspace, flight restrictions, special licensing, if any, etc....

Now for the stupid "how my mind works" reasoning..... I was flipping through the channels last night and came upon a movie starring Steve Irwin, aka "The Crock Hunter", and it happened to be about the time that a chick was dropping dynamite at the boats in the river.... dont know much more than that, but it got me thinkin...... So on with it... anyone here dabble?

My dad built one back in the 80s and used to fly in and out of Jeffco. I've got a video somewhere of him crashing it into a barbed wire fence.

But that's all.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

CSC co-founder

I think I know someone who's wanted to sell theirs. Let me know if you're interested? I live down here in PHX
    PHX, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dietrich_R1 View Post
    I think I know someone who's wanted to sell theirs. Let me know if you're interested? I live down here in PHX
    Much appreciated, but i just decided i want one last night....
    I'll let you know if this plan goes anywhere.... lol

06 DR650SE

Google is my friend.... lol.... Ive found a wealth of info.... now i just need to figure out if i want to build one or buy one.... i think ive found my winter project..... screw looking for a job!

However im still interested in hearing from anyone with first hand knowledge of piloting one of these contraptions

06 DR650SE

single pilot you can fly them without a license if they're under a certain size, check the FAA regulations for specifics. I have a comm. license (can fly anything) and frankly they're pretty boring unless you have a huge field to fly them in/out of. A lot of airports won't let you around because they're so slow and often get in the way of other aircraft. I guess they're kinda like a scooter, slow and you don't want your pilot buddies to see you flying one! J/K, they're kinda fun, buy one ready to fly, DO NOT get a parachute one, get one like in your pic, can usually be had for about the same price as a clean used liter bike.
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

Quote Originally Posted by PROFLYER View Post
    single pilot you can fly them without a license if they're under a certain size, check the FAA regulations for specifics. I have a comm. license (can fly anything) and frankly they're pretty boring unless you have a huge field to fly them in/out of. A lot of airports won't let you around because they're so slow and often get in the way of other aircraft. I guess they're kinda like a scooter, slow and you don't want your pilot buddies to see you flying one! J/K, they're kinda fun, buy one ready to fly, DO NOT get a parachute one, get one like in your pic, can usually be had for about the same price as a clean used liter bike.
    I was contemplating the single seater non-licensed version, but then quickly realized i weigh as much as two people, so i might want to go ahead and get my sport license and buy one capable of carrying more weight, faster, etc.... Plus the chickie might wanna ride..... lol

06 DR650SE

A sport license is very affordable, plus it's just enough to keep you out of trouble IF you play by the rules. Honestly no one unless they're flying on a 135 cert needs to fly IFR (in the clouds). If you stick to clear blue days (we do get like 300 here) you'll live to tell about it. It'll cost a lot more, but I'd look hard into a Van's RV-6 or RV-7.

First take a few lessons, rent for a while then look into taking the plunge. I know of a few guys who own planes and have hanger space that are looking to sell half for 30-40k.

I'll tell you this, flying is the most expensive hobby on the planet!
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

Well, my "need" for one just became evident last night, so im still working everything out.... i think the only reason id get a sport license is to get a "bigger" trike since i would be exceeding the weight limit, plus i can get a 2 seater....

The Vans i just googled would be my idea of a cage vs motorcycle.... i like the idea of the trike being all open..... i dont really have a need to get very high, so i dont think id be anywhere near the clouds.... im just looking to fly over the mountains, see lakes n shit.... lol...

06 DR650SE

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

If you're getting a sport license, fly a sport aircraft. But to each his own. On your thoughts of "not getting high"... Clouds here often get quite low, sometimes ground level. You'll learn a lot more about this when you start flying, but especially in something as un-capable as an Ultralight, you will be confined to nice light-wind high-pressure-stable-airmass clear weather days regardless. Don't even *think* about getting anywhere *close* to clouds in one of those things.

Um, I'd be very surprised if they got you anywhere close to the mountains as well. First off, they probably lack the climb performance to get that high up (it's about absolute altitude above sea level, not relative sea level above the ground), and on top of that mountain flying is an artform in itself. Even light winds can create downdrafts that typical small aircraft have a hard time with, so attempting that in a winged scooter just seems suicidal to me.

If you want to go play in the mountains, let me know. We'll go rent a 182 on a nice day and I'll fly you around. Please don't be stupid with an ultralight though.

It does look like fun, and is probably a hell of a lot cheaper than the planes the rest of us fly. Then again I can fly over mountains at faster-than-liter-bike speeds, so to each his own.

If you need references to good instructors let me know...
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    If you're getting a sport license, fly a sport aircraft. But to each his own. On your thoughts of "not getting high"... Clouds here often get quite low, sometimes ground level. You'll learn a lot more about this when you start flying, but especially in something as un-capable as an Ultralight, you will be confined to nice light-wind high-pressure-stable-airmass clear weather days regardless. Don't even *think* about getting anywhere *close* to clouds in one of those things.

Um, I'd be very surprised if they got you anywhere close to the mountains as well. First off, they probably lack the climb performance to get that high up (it's about absolute altitude above sea level, not relative sea level above the ground), and on top of that mountain flying is an artform in itself. Even light winds can create downdrafts that typical small aircraft have a hard time with, so attempting that in a winged scooter just seems suicidal to me.

If you want to go play in the mountains, let me know. We'll go rent a 182 on a nice day and I'll fly you around. Please don't be stupid with an ultralight though.

It does look like fun, and is probably a hell of a lot cheaper than the planes the rest of us fly. Then again I can fly over mountains at faster-than-liter-bike speeds, so to each his own.

If you need references to good instructors let me know...
    And the learning continues..... I didnt think about the lack of air.... DOH....

As far as getting a sport license..... if i go over a certain weight (or fly a 2 seater) in the aircraft, i HAVE to get a sport license... its not an issue of getting a motorcycle license to drive a scooter, its an issue of the scooter not being able to push me, so i drop a bigger motor in it, now i have to get a license.... but i still want to drive a scooter.....

i dont want to go fast... im contemplating selling the busa to get one, if that says anything... I'm also not permanantly set here in CO.... all i have to do is hitch up the 5th wheel, put my DR and ultralight on the trailer behind the durango, and go somewhere else and live for a while.... In other words, if altitude is gonna be the thing to keep me from doing this, then ill go somewhere else.

06 DR650SE

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by PROFLYER View Post
    A sport license is very affordable, plus it's just enough to keep you out of trouble IF you play by the rules. Honestly no one unless they're flying on a 135 cert needs to fly IFR (in the clouds). If you stick to clear blue days (we do get like 300 here) you'll live to tell about it. It'll cost a lot more, but I'd look hard into a Van's RV-6 or RV-7.
    Neither the RV6 or RV7 are light sport qualified. I believe Vans is working on an LSA design, but you could build an RV-12...

http://vansaircraft.com/public/rv-12int.htm

I didn't mean that they were, sorry if it read that way.

Once he gets a taste for flying, the scooter trike will become the suck and he'll want something more. It's cheaper if you do it right the first time, but I only have 2700 hours (about) so what do I know....when I lived in Tulsa and flew for school and for a living I knew guys with ultras and it was their 2nd or 3rd aircraft. Fun to go tool around in on a perfect NO WIND summer day but I can get from here to Vegas in 3.5 hours in an RV-7 or go buzz horsetooth lake at 245+ OR go roll it till I puke.

Do whatever you think you'll like, but there's a reason these things are a dime a dozen on ebay. Do you have a ranch? If you've got 350' that's flat you can takeoff/land at your place, if you live in a hood you'll have to go to a private airport and rent some hanger space etc. Most muni airports don't allow ultra traffic.

It sounds like you're too big for a legal ultra anyway, perhaps with a different prop that's slower but has more thrust you could get away with it but if you intend to fly someone with you a license is a must, as well as insurance (be prepared!!) most insurance is between 200-600 a MONTH depending on what you're flying and your experience level. Don't think that because the aircraft is only worth 5k your insurance will be cheap. You're inexperienced and can cause serious harm to yourself and other property, they'll make you pay for those odds (sucks, I know)
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

I do understand what you are trying to pound into me, PRO, but This is something I want... I do own land thats perfect for landing/taking off, so thats not an issue. If i get my taste of flying, then ill look into getting my license and upgrading.... if i do end up being too big for a legal UL, then ill cross that bridge when i get there too....

sweet vid, the music and scenery FTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rnwsr2VCp0

06 DR650SE