Thread: HOUSE BILL 09-1042 (The Left Lane Bill)

HOUSE BILL 09-1042 (The Left Lane Bill)

aka the 'Get your slow ass out of the left lane' bill. What do you think? I see the arguments on both sides and understand that truck drivers and slower vehicle drivers would have to be on their toes more and think about their timing when passing other traffic, but I also think that slow drivers that clog up the left lane cause road rage. I'm usually travelling at about 5mph over but if I'm not passing right lane traffic then I stay in the right lane. I think it's a courtesy thing.

Bill Summary
    Prohibits a person driving a motor vehicle from impeding the flow
    of more than 5 motor vehicles following immediately behind. Requires
    an impeder to drive in the right-hand lane or pull off the road and let the

others pass where pulling off is safe and lawful.
    http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...7674&catid=339

http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/CLI...le=1042_01.pdf

Contact info for local reps:
    http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/CLI...y?openframeset

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Re: HOUSE BILL 09-1042 (The Left Lane Bill)

Isn't there already a left-lane law?

Move the fack over people!
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I think every situation is going to be different, depending on the road and such..
    Shoot, when I'm haulin' ass down the road I ain't stoppin' til I hear glass breakin' or smell shit!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Good idea but it'll probably be enforced about as well as the one they passed last year (or was it two years ago?) for the highways, which is to say not enforced. I read an article a while back that they had written something like 5 tickets for it in the first year. Hell, I see that many offenders in one trip down to Denver on 36.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Good idea but it'll probably be enforced about as well as the one they passed last year (or was it two years ago?) for the highways, which is to say not enforced. I read an article a while back that they had written something like 5 tickets for it in the first year. Hell, I see that many offenders in one trip down to Denver on 36.

Dirk
    Agreed. More laws without teeth, that will not be enforced.
    Besides, commercial truck's, (more than two axles) should not be allowed in the #1 lane.
    No passing on the right needs to be a rule as well.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Nobody (drivers) remembers what laws are passed, and out of state drivers won't have a clue. Signs need to be posted to remind them.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    No passing on the right needs to be a rule as well.
    When they enforce the "no slowasses in the left lane" law, then they can start thinking about a "no passing in the right lane" until then, people who are in front of me and just in the left lane to enjoy the view are gonna see me pass 'em through their passenger's side window.

Agreed on the "more legislation" kick. We can have laws making anything illegal, but if no one's enforcing them, why bother?

BUT, if we are gonna just throw some laws on 'cause we're bored, how's about a pair of laws: 1. it is illegal to drive on the should of the road just b/c your exit is 50 feet ahead and traffic sucks (you're not special, get over it), and 2. Anyone caught rubber necking runs the risk of being shot on site.
    Last edited by MetaLord 9; Thu Jan 15th, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]