Thread: Speeding Ticket in Northglen?

Speeding Ticket in Northglen?

I recently received a speeding ticket in Northglenn while traveling north on I-25. A cop on the overpass (114th?) shot me with a laser going 73 in the 55. I was pulled over by a different cop.

I received a plea bargain offer in the mail to reduce 4 pts to 2 and a fine of $130.

Apparently I can go in, plead guilty and explain my situation and it might be reduced more. Or plead not guilty and set another date.

Has anyone been to court in Northglenn? What was your experience? Any law enforcement want to chime in that would be great.

Truth be told, I am typically very anal about watching my speed, I try not to go over by more than 5-8 mph and on that day I was distracted because of a lot of stuff going on in my life. Anyway, if the cop hadn't told me he shot me with a laser I would doubt I was going that fast. I have slightly over-sized tires so I know my speedo is off a little but 18 over was way not my intention. I haven't had a speeding ticket in 10 yrs. It was in my SUV, not bike.

Any thoughts advice, thanks in advance.

Re: Speeding Ticket in Northglen?

Holly crap I had almost the exact same thing happen to me yesterday morning, only it was 74. I was told I just have to mail it in and they would reduce it to 2 points.
    Danny

fight it! admit nothing!!
    there is always the chance the cop won't show.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Those Tosser's have been hanging out at that overpass for years. Also, the speed limit signs are poorly located to see correctly around there and that area is the border line from 55 to 65 mph. I would fight it.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Which cop has to show up? the one who wrote you the ticket or the cop who clocked you or both? I would say both since in the country you have a right to confront your accuser and to cross examen him, including his training on the very laser gun he was using. I'm not sure what the legality's of one officer clocking one chasing is, but if I ever get caught there you better be I'm going to request to speak with the officer who clocked me.

What they are doing is standing on the walking pedestrian bridge the goes over the highway right after 104th and clocking. then they have 6-8 cars/bikes pulling people over.

P.S. They have been set up here at least twice a week for 3 weeks now. Guess Northglen needs to generate some Revenues!

Radar snipers is what we callem back east. They post up in places you wouldn't normally be looking since you are supposed to be doin the keeping both eyes on the road thing.....
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

They've been all over town here lately. My wife saw them running a trap on Washington yesterday and I saw them on Irma today.
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

Quote Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
    Radar snipers is what we callem back east. They post up in places you wouldn't normally be looking since you are supposed to be doin the keeping both eyes on the road thing.....
    and if you had half of one eye on the speedometer at the same time it doesn't matter where they hang out, right?

Must be end of month quotas. A friend was coming down 7 yesterday afternoon and saw 4 cops.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I think we will be seeing a lot more of this kind of thing. It's a source of revenue for cash straped local and state governments. Unless I'm up in the canyons I never go more than 5 over unless I'm in the middle of a large group of cars all going fast. Be especially careful of work zones during off hours, like early in the morning, or late at night. another trick cops like to use is to have a cop with radar in an old messed up car just parked on the side of the road. You think it'a just some guy using his cell phone, or waiting to meet someone, until you go around the next corner and there is a cop waiting to give you a ticket.
    THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF RIDERS: THOSE THAT HAVE CRASHED, AND THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO CRASH.

They were being rador snipers on Monoco/montbello in a school zone too, acting like crossing guards!!
    Lucky for me I never speed!!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

The DA isn't going to drop it down below 2 pts, and let's face it - you WERE speeding. Whether the signs were poorly marked or the cop shows or not, that's just what happened. Also if the cop shows, you'll get the full four.

You broke the law. Pay the fine, take the lowered points, and get on with life. I doubt you will get a better deal from the court on a ticket that small. If your record is absolutely clean you *might* get no points if you take a class or something, but then you're taking even more time and money to save what, 2 points that don't matter in the grand scheme of things anyway? Unless you're about to lose your license, just take the 2 and move on.

Just my opinion though.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    I'm not sure what the legality's of one officer clocking one chasing is...
    It's BS but it is legal. I had a weird incident happen to me where one officer pulled me over and he called in another officer to write me a ticket while the first one left. Everyone I talked to said they had never heard of anything like that. I would think something along those lines would be hearsay but I guess the badge has some magical powers that keep the person from lying. As far as I know though they have to write the officers name (the one who clocked you) in the report. If they didn't do that then you might have a case. Get the police report and look at it so you know exactly what they said and what the DA and Judge will see.
    Someday someone my kill you with your gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because its empty.

A woman is like a motorcycle, both scream and get hot if ridden hard enough.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    I'm not sure what the legality's of one officer clocking one chasing is, but if I ever get caught there you better be I'm going to request to speak with the officer who clocked me.
    It's perfectly legal, it happens all the time, and you can request the other officer if you want. It's especially common with the bike cops, where they plant one behind a tree with a gun, and the rest around a corner so you can't see them. It's a favorite tactic in school zones as well.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    The DA isn't going to drop it down below 2 pts, and let's face it - you WERE speeding.

I have to disagree with this. Most people who talk with the DA will get the ticket reduced but it all depends on how serious it is and what your driving record is like, but even your driving record doesn't have to be spotless I know from personal experience. If you can prove beyond a doubt that the speed signs were poorly posted like trees, bushes were in the way or they were unreadable you might get it dropped even more or thrown out but you need to act quick if that is the case. Go to the speed sign close to where you were pulled over and take a camera with you and take a picture of the sign that was poorly marked. If you intend to fight it this way get a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Also if the cop shows, you'll get the full four.

Yes if you go to trial or pre-trial and the cop shows you will get all four unless you accept the plea bargain from the DA or unless you know you have a strong case. If both cops show (which they may) you will need a very strong case to get it lowered or thrown out.
    Someday someone my kill you with your gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because its empty.

A woman is like a motorcycle, both scream and get hot if ridden hard enough.

I really appreciate all of your feedback. I don't like the idea of pleading not-guilty, because I admit, I was speeding, I broke the law. However, it bugs me that if I do plead not-guilty there is a fair chance the cop wont show and then it is merely droped.

This has happened in the past. Four of us were given tickets, one guy just paid it, took the points and shelled out $260. The other three of us went to court, cop didn't show, and we paid nothing, no points.
    The three of us were like
    The other guy was like

I'll keep thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by onepoorstunna View Post
    and if you had half of one eye on the speedometer at the same time it doesn't matter where they hang out, right?
    Yeah...but when I want to go slow..I walk or drive my 60. When I'm on my bike, I'll be the first to admit...I SPEED. These things weren't made to chug along at 55mph.
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by IT WASN'T ME! View Post
    another trick cops like to use is to have a cop with radar in an old messed up car just parked on the side of the road. You think it'a just some guy using his cell phone, or waiting to meet someone, until you go around the next corner and there is a cop waiting to give you a ticket.
    Where have you seen this done??

Yeah I think the only way it will get dropped lower than 2 points is if you are willing to take a driving class. If you do that you can probably get it lowered, but it will most likely cost more (you will have to pay the fine, plus class fees) and a few hours of your time.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuhalter Vati View Post
    Where have you seen this done??
    Down east of the Springs, Falcon area. It was El Paso county sheriffs.
    THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF RIDERS: THOSE THAT HAVE CRASHED, AND THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO CRASH.