Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Chosing the right Bike

Help Chosing the right Bike

Hey guys,

So heres the deal. I'm in the Market for a new bike, and more then likely it will be one of the big four. I know it's kind of an open ended question, but I've only ridden Kawasaki thus far. I was wondering what the pro's and cons of the other big four are (Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki)?

Now I am kinda pre-disposed to Gixxers because I have shorter arms and they tend to put to much weight on my wrists. Any advice, or help would be greatly appreciated as I am going to try and get to some track days this season and learn how to ride Tarmac...

thanks for the help

Re: Help Chosing the right Bike

how many cc's?
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

You can't go wrong with Yamaha or Honda. But realistically, it's all about what fits you and your need, preference and comfort best. Go to a dealer and look at many different models and sit on them. Try to make a mental note of ergonomics, seat heights, and riding position, especially placement of the pegs, shifter, etc. Also, consider what you intend to do with the bike: commute, canyons, occasional trackdays, whatever. This is just about the basics, but I'm certain you will get plenty of feedback on this topic. There are plenty of highly experienced riders here to help. Best of luck!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by LambeauXLIV View Post
    how many cc's?
    probably going to be in the 600 range. Honestly I don't feel I'm experienced enough on a supersport to go to liter bikes yet...i would probably kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    realistically, it's all about what fits you and your need, preference and comfort best.
    +1

Go to a dealership and see what's comfortable for you...the difference in performance between the four won't be noticeable.
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

Agree on what is comfortable being very important.

What kind of riding do you plan on doing? Sport, sport-touring, dual, you can ride any of those on the track?

How experienced are you? Sounds like you have been on a bike before, but you haven't been riding for a long time?

If you are buying a bike from the big 4, you won't really find a "ad" bike, you just need to know what kind of riding you will do and see what fits. Do you have short legs? Perhaps SV-650 or the Kawa 650r. They tend to fit shorter riders better than the GSXR/R/ZXs
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

you might find this thread useful

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ighlight=600rr

Quote Originally Posted by DeVeck View Post
    probably going to be in the 600 range. Honestly I don't feel I'm experienced enough on a supersport to go to liter bikes yet...i would probably kill myself

What year/price range are you looking at? It seems every couple years a different "big four" is the best. If you are going for brand new then get the 2009 Kawasaki ZX6-R

Casey D

I wouldn't leave the triumph street triple out of the running, It has a short reach to the bars, is comfortable around town and carve canyons with the best of them.

Where's konichd? He's got one of each 'cept for the Kawi to test ride.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by DeVeck View Post

IMO you will kill yourself on any bike from a 250 to a ZX-14 if you don't learn how to ride first. My advice is to get an endorsment/take a class on riding. Then get what you want depending on what you plan on doing with the bike. Don't limit yourself to a 600 cause of fear. It has just as much potential to land you in a meat wagon as a liter bike does.

Everyone told me that I would kill myself if I got anything over a 750 for my first bike. I didn't listen b/c I felt like I would out grow a 600 and so started with a CBR 929..then a month later moved up to an 06 R1. Never looked back and 6 years and five bikes later.... I've never been down or even dropped a bike once. This is not because of talent..it's because I actually learned to ride before really riding. I've never ridden beyond my limits although I've topped out every bike I owned. Rode a friends YZF 600 and it was wayyy to slow for me and would have been a waste of money.

Get what you want, learn everything you can bout it..and ride it like you want.

$.07
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

Lightspeed the guy has riden and I believe currently ride just looking at a newer bike.

And someone once told me start smaller and you will be faster in the end.

Think its like riding a bike when you were a kid you didnt just hop on the biggest bike you could and then try to ride it without training wheels. Most kids would have started on a big wheel. not a 24in wheel mountian bike.

Plus one on the 09 Kawi read the reveiws it is an amazing bike.

That reminds me I am looking for a Hot Sugar Mama so I can get an amazing bike. Anyone know of any???
    Last edited by Tipys; Fri Feb 27th, 2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: sugar mama
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Lightspeed the guy has riden and I believe currently ride just looking at a newer bike.

And someone once told me start smaller and you will be faster in the end.

Think its like riding a bike when you were a kid you didnt just hop on the biggest bike you could and then try to ride it without training wheels. Most kids would have started on a big wheel. not a 24in wheel mountian bike.
    That reminds me I am looking for a Hot Sugar Mama so I can get an amazing bike. Anyone know of any???
    Yeah...I've heard the same. However, you can have a 600 on a liter bike if you just unwind the throttle or in the case of the 7k GSXR thou..put it in rain mode. I dunno..it's just my opinion tho. On bicycles...where I'm from, if you were big enough and the bike fit you....you learned on whatever was avail. So it wasn't the complexity of the bike...just the size. If you never rode a big wheel...and got old enough to start on a 26speed road bike without ever being on two wheels...then I think you could be just as fast as someone who started on a tricycle.

I think the only limit we have is the limit we put on ourselves by way of fear...etc. But again...my $0.07. Who know's what 7 pennies are worth in this economy.

Hot sugar Mama's...lol. Let me know when you find one and how that turned out for you. I hear they are more trouble than they are worth.
    Last edited by lightspeed; Fri Feb 27th, 2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: my horrible spelling
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

Wait, have you any sugar mama experience, if not I'd suggest starting smaller.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
    Don't limit yourself to a 600 cause of fear
    In my opinion, as you said above, don't get a liter if you don't feel ready. I too don't feel ready, therefore it's not the right time. A 600 is in no way limiting yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
    This is not because of talent..it's because I actually learned to ride before really riding. I've never ridden beyond my limits although I've topped out every bike I owned.
    Not to pick a fight, but what does topping out a bike have to do with riding? Anybody can find a straight road, tuck down and pin the throttle. Maybe I have a different idea of what riding technique is, but I would rather do 70 mph around a corner marked 30mph than do 180mph on a straight road.

DeVeck, as was stated in this thread and the other, do what feels good. Most of the bikes are really nice and maybe fairly comperable. Try as many as you can. Personally I would buy one that was a year or two older and then dump the rest into mods, but that's just me. If you feel like you are pretty sure, try renting one for the day. Good Luck!

the choice is clear and simple!
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Wait, have you any sugar mama experience, if not I'd suggest starting smaller.
    zero experience. But I will out grow something smaller really quick. So I going after the one that very sexy and has lots of money. I'm swinging for the fences.

R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by REPSOLSASH View Post
    the choice is clear and simple!
    Sash, you're starting to make me a little biased.

(No, not really. Viva Yamaha!)

zero experience. But I will out grow something smaller really quick. So I going after the one that very sexy and has lots of money. I'm swinging for the fences.

remember to ride safe, atgatt.. and all that.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    In my opinion, as you said above, don't get a liter if you don't feel ready. I too don't feel ready, therefore it's not the right time. A 600 is in no way limiting yourself.

Not to pick a fight, but what does topping out a bike have to do with riding? Anybody can find a straight road, tuck down and pin the throttle. Maybe I have a different idea of what riding technique is, but I would rather do 70 mph around a corner marked 30mph than do 180mph on a straight road.
    Well we all have our opinions. I'm not a drag racer in the straights or moto gp in the twisties; I try to do comparitively well at both.... however I'm just of the opinion that (depending on the person not the bike) one can do just as well starting out on a liter bike, a 250, a 750, a 125, or a 14 as they could on a 600. And I agree...as 600 is not limiting yourself, however picking a 600 over a liter bike based off of fear is limiting. The ability to ride straight or in a turn is more so a function of the rider than the bike being ridden. There are guys and gals who could consistently..... riding 1600 cc Goldwings... keep up in the turns with some average riders on smaller bikes. Neither a 600 or a liter will be used to their potential by 99% of us...so, again...fear of wrecking shouldn't limit you in your choice IMO. Fear should never be a determining factor. Knowledge of what you fear on the other hand should be a determining factor.

And the only way to know one is not ready for something is to try that something out first...therefore, the wise choice is to ride a liter bike as much as possible b/f making a decision.

But, dude..everyone is different so as someone else said....he should get what makes him happy...
    Last edited by lightspeed; Fri Feb 27th, 2009 at 02:48 PM.

Ride your bike, not the motor.

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Thanks for the wallpaper Typsy

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Ride your bike, not the motor.
    Amen.

I've done the big bike thing and I'm over it. For the type of riding I do now, the middleweights are more fun.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Look, I'm not "afraid" of a bike...I wrecked that 01 6r plenty of times learning how to ride. But riding the track is way different then riding asphalt, and I don't need to be a pro to know that. I just really like the 600cc bikes is all...

I guess I should have given more information...LoL

I've been riding forever...but supersports is a new kind of style that has new challenges. Thats why I chose it. Ad if I could get that 09 6r I would...I sat on the monster edition and creamed my jeans...

and I do appreciate all the opinions, but I was hoping for more of a...tech kind of laydown...which bikes are heavier in the twisties, which bikes have a better midrange, ect. Obviously those are just examples...

While I loved my 01 ninja...and I miss it dearly, It's dead, I'm out of the Marines now so I can stop Mourning her. Honestly, I like all three of the bikes I sat on. an 07 ninja, an 06 600RR and an 06 R6...they all felt kind of nice...the honda felt really nice...But I heard that hondas SUCK on the track...
    Last edited by DeVeck; Sat Feb 28th, 2009 at 11:00 AM.