Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How do I convince a friend NOT to get a 1000 for a first bike?

Re: How do I convince a friend NOT to get a 1000 for a first bike?

Maybe you should have him read this thread? People in this thread have a huge variety of knowledge and experience. Racers to novice, old to young.

my .02: any bike can kill you. The speed going though a corner is based on the rider, not the bike. Any idiot can open up the throttle on a straight road. I've passed liter bikes on my 600, and I've been passed by another 600 with two people on it. It's always the rider, not the bike. Chances of riding a 600 to it's full potential are pretty slim, I'm not even close yet. No matter what bike he gets, respect it, or bad things can happen.

Tell him he'll have more fun on a 600.

It takes more skill to ride a slow bike fast, than to ride a fast bike slow.

Good article: http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?p=1473509

Probably won't change his mind. He's a 21 year old male... chances are there's no convincing him to get anything but a liter bike. Just take two of the spark plugs out.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LambeauXLIV View Post
    Kind of an ass-holeish thing to say
    Big-J is kinda ass-holeish.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

AKA "Devaclis"

Big-J does not even ride. Take his comments with a grain of Kentucky Blue Grass Sensmillia
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Big-J is kinda ass-holeish.

I was acutually only half serious about the natural selection thing, but if the guy doesn't understand why its not a good idea to start out on a smaller bike, what else can I say?

AKA "Devaclis"

First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Big-J View Post
    I was acutually only half serious about the natural selection thing, but if the guy doesn't understand why its not a good idea to start out on a smaller bike, what else can I say?
    It's hard for newbies to really understand the difference without experiencing it themselves, regardless of how smart they are.
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

There's a guy here at work that hasn't ridden in 10+ years. He's itching to get back on a bike. He's been thinking about a GSXR-1000.

He went to Pueblo with us for a track day to watch. Most of us were on 600's. I think after watching 600's in action he's starting to understand that a 1000 is a lot of bike.

So.... +1 on the post that says get your friend to the track to watch some 600's.

It's hard for newbies to really understand the difference without experiencing it themselves, regardless of how smart they are.
    That could cost him his life. Whatever though, he may take to that 1k like a champ, who knows.

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Without reading all the responses in their entirety, I'd like to point you (and your friend) to this article: Open Letter To New Riders (or as I call it, "Buying your first sportbike?") - I came across it a few years ago and think it has a lot of merit (which is why I posted it on the CSC's "Learn to Ride" page in the first place).
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

In 1980 we all wanted to buy 1979 Honda CBX bikes out of the box. Our buddy, who had been riding for many years and already owned his second '79 CBX told us to go ride something else ------ for 20,000 miles. It really didn't matter what it was but don't fork out loads of cash on a CBX as your first liter bike.

Needless to say he was right. although my OD only read 14,500 when I bailed on my XL500S and snagged the CBX
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Yes, but I have to believe that there is an inherent understanding of exactly what we are getting into, when we buy bikes.

I mean seriously... I'm one of the most impulsive people I know. I make bad decisions like it's my job. But at the time I was getting into purchasing my first bike back in 1999, I knew that.

A.) These things are fucking wicked.
    B.) I'm going to look cool as hell riding one.
    C.) I've seen what they do on TV, and I will never be able to do that.
    D.) I've seen what they do in the hands of my friends, and I can definitely do that.
    and E.) That I better check myself, when it comes to how I proceed to ride, unless I want my parents to have to go to my funeral.

There was never any misunderstanding of what I knew could "end me" on a 1000, that wouldn't just-the-same "end me" on a 600.

He's either going to get a 600 and crash it or not, or he's going to get a 1000 and crash it or not. The point here, is that he either understands my POINT E from above, or he doesn't. The fact that he doesn't even seem to be taking into consideration a 600 as his first entry into the hobby means that he's not focused on the important things.

If it was more of a "Yeah, I like the 600s, but I like the style of the R1 better", then I could get down with that, because it's a perspective that isn't dismissive by reasons of stupidity, just preference. He seems like he's neglecting the option of a 600 because he is stupid, and there is something about "size" that seems to be the driving factor.

But whatever... I agree that it's hard for newbies to tell the difference w/out riding them both, but the key isn't to understand the differences, it's to understand the horrible horrible things that can happen to you on a motorcycle. A motorcyle of any size. And that's a point that I don't know if your friend is cognisant of. (?)
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Wed Mar 11th, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

He is considering 600s (thanks to my advice), but he found a good deal on a 1000.
    He's trying to save a few bucks (and get a bigger bike while he's at it)
    Nathaniel

Well then let him have his druthers!

If this is genuinely nothing more than a situation of economics, and you firmly believe he has a solid grasp on the finer points of living as a motorcycle owner, then I see no problem here.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Well, I didn't read any of the responses, way too many. But you've got to be kidding me. Don't buy a 1000 for your first bike is just stupid. I would say how well your feet touch the ground would be more important for a first time rider. I just have never understood the, "your first bike has to be a 600" deal. As if any bike can't kill you just as fast as a 1000. Hell, maybe the 600 kills you quicker because you think it's a beginner bike and it's totally safe. Whatever... Buy what you like and do a 180mph wheelie down I-25!!
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Wed Mar 11th, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

He is considering 600s (thanks to my advice), but he found a good deal on a 1000.
    What's the bike he's looking at and how much?

So what year is this 1k and what kind is it? Unless this 1k is older and/or a P.O.S., Im pretty sure he can find a 600 for way cheaper than a 1k.

If he has a scene of humor ask him if he has his organ donor card filled out.

Way back in the day (1986) I was looking to get my first bike.
    An 83 Honda V65 Magna (1100cc V4). I was hell bent on getting it.
    Thank god the insurance companies had better common scene than I.
    It was IMPOSSIBLE to get coverage on anything over 750cc for me. That maybe why I as still alive today.

that and pure dumb luck.

weird I still have a thing for the V4

and BTW I backed off my 600RR at 155mph. That was PLENTY fast for me.
    Last edited by puckstr; Wed Mar 11th, 2009 at 11:11 AM.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

A deal may not be a deal once he factors in the cost of insurance.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Maybe you should have him read this thread? People in this thread have a huge variety of knowledge and experience. Racers to novice, old to young.

my .02: any bike can kill you. The speed going though a corner is based on the rider, not the bike. Any idiot can open up the throttle on a straight road. I've passed liter bikes on my 600, and I've been passed by another 600 with two people on it. It's always the rider, not the bike. Chances of riding a 600 to it's full potential are pretty slim, I'm not even close yet. No matter what bike he gets, respect it, or bad things can happen.

AMEN!
    end of discussion.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

I fail to recognize the correlation between losing 10K, hospitalizing Gorgeous, and a good deal.

[/Jason Statham]
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1029908259.html

this is the bike 01 gsxr 1000
    Nathaniel

so has he seen the GSXR yet? or is he just basing it on the minimal ad?
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM