Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: group passes

group passes

Let's face it, if we didn't pass in the canyons we might as well park our bikes at the 7-11. This is a fact of riding. Sometimes we have to go around. That old farm truck, or the winnebago, or the sedan with the out of state plates.

Specifically, I can see ma and pa Kettle from Iowa getting freaked out as 10 sportbikes zip by at mach 1. On every group ride I've been on this spring, there has been one Cager who's given us a finger or if not, must've said aloud "damned bikers!". You've all been there, you ride their ass hoping they see you and move over enough .. gawd those that move over in the wrong places ..

So how do we pass with consideration? I see a bunch of us who give a "thank you" wave .. but short of having red & blue flashing lights on the lead bike, are we forced to do these mass passes? One day some idiot is going to get pissed enough to move over on one of us as we go by. Or maybe I'm being paranoid and just need to take a valium before each ride?

I do it when I have to, I know some won't pass unless waved by. Some will pass anywhere / anytime, while others wait for a passing lane, etc. I know if it's just me or a couple of bikes, I will pass more often than when I'm leading a group. It's early in the season and some newbies might be wondering what the etiquette is when we go on these group rides.
    Last edited by asp_125; Sun Mar 22nd, 2009 at 10:09 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: group passes

The main response that I have noticed on group rides is 98% of the riders in the group have no clue where the passing lanes are, where each corner is on the route, and where the basic stops are located ----- even with a 'group talk'.

When folks begin to pass, no matter when, where, how safe (or not) it invokes the 'mob mentality'. For some reason the pack gets the notion that they, (some times as in each-and-every bike) have to pass. I don't know if they feel that they will be left behind, the lunch stop will run out of grub before they get there, or if their ego's take over and they have to prove to themselves --- or to someone else, that they can do it too. Fucked reasons or not --- they happen and they happen this time of year most often. So ---- have fun, be careful and think.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    ... Fucked reasons or not --- they happen and they happen this time of year most often. So ---- have fun, be careful and think.
    Yep. Todays ride was pretty good, passes were made but hand signals (all clear, no-go) were communicated during the pre-ride meeting, and actually used on the road. We can't control what the cager will do, so we have to THINK for them as well. Just cause the rider ahead of you made it, is no guarantee the cager won't speed up, move over, or one of several outcomes.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Account Deactivated at users request

I have to agree with you on that one Jeff. I was waiting for the Red Lincoln on HWY 6 to take out the next person that tried to go around him because he was riding the front groups ass the whole way down. Ray and I were the next in line to pass but I think it was for the best he and I included chose not to.

I recommend everyone give a wave to the car if you're going pass or the move over or slow down at all. That small little wave goes a long way especially when 20+ bikes go cruising past them.

Let's face it, most people have an issue being passed and when a bunch of people are doing it illegally, people (cagers to be specific) tend to get worked up. I would hate to see some road rage come out from someone during these nice riding weather months to come.

Definitely use the all clear and no-go signals if you are the first or second bike in front of the cage being passed. It helps keep everyone a little bit safer and avoids us doing it if there is an LEO up ahead.

There have been a lot of people going down lately and I definitely don't want it happening to any CSC'ers, so be safe out there people. Where your gear and use your heads.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YZFRydn View Post

Let's face it, most people have an issue being passed and when a bunch of people are doing it illegally, people (cagers to be specific) tend to get worked up. I would hate to see some road rage come out from someone during these nice riding weather months to come.
    I couldn't agree more. Definitely, the "thank-you" wave is a good idea. And let's face it, sometimes we've been around one or two riders who seem to think the road belongs to them just as much as the cager does. The road belongs to everyone...so, most definitely, think before you pass. Don't pass just cuz the guy in front of you passed...don't pass cuz you think the guy behind you is getting too antsy. Do what you feel is safe, plain and simple.

I was riding with 2 people on Saturday and up front. We ended up behind a Vette, and for the life of me, I just did not feel like passing at any time. The first thought on my mind was the gravel in the middle of the road and then the idea of kicking up that gravel if I passed...I just did not feel comfortable at all. So, I rode 'granny-style' this weekend...meh, it's only the beginning of Spring. There's lots more rides to come.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    One day some idiot is going to get pissed enough to move over on one of us as we go by. Or maybe I'm being paranoid and just need to take a valium before each ride?
    It isn't paranoia, I've had it happen when a bunch of people in the group I was in passed someone in a gigantic mob. I waited a little bit and tried to do it safely, but he had just been angered by the whole thing, and moved his pickup over in an attempt to "block" me off the road. I finally got around him when he realized I wasn't trying to be a dick. I've seen cagers flip off bikers, chuck cigarettes at them, cuss wildly, etc.

The main response that I have noticed on group rides is 98% of the riders in the group have no clue where the passing lanes are, where each corner is on the route, and where the basic stops are located ----- even with a 'group talk'.

When folks begin to pass, no matter when, where, how safe (or not) it invokes the 'mob mentality'. For some reason the pack gets the notion that they, (some times as in each-and-every bike) have to pass. I don't know if they feel that they will be left behind, the lunch stop will run out of grub before they get there, or if their ego's take over and they have to prove to themselves --- or to someone else, that they can do it too. Fucked reasons or not --- they happen and they happen this time of year most often. So ---- have fun, be careful and think.
    +1.

We have a lot of people out there working against us. Yes cars go slower than bikes -- that's just what they do. That does not give us the right to ignore anything remotely related to courtesy and do some of the shit I've seen happen on group rides. Here's a tip: When the number of bikes passing a car causes that car to have to make a dive for the shoulder just so there's enough room that someone doesn't die, that is not cool.

Now I've also had some really nice cagers realize that a bunch of bikes were trying to get around, and drive half on the shoulder for a while so we could all get by in the lane without having to cross double yellow's (which are painted that way for a reason, esp in mountains), and in that case I have no issue with it, but I'm still watching that cage's path in case he needs to come back in suddenly.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    It isn't paranoia
    It has to be a steryotype then. I was coming down Boulder Canyon on Saturday at the speed limit to +10, and cars would still freak out. I had no intention of passing any of them and still left 2-3 cars length in between us. I never pressured them to speed up. Yet 3 cars, at 3 different spots, throughout the canyon pulled aside on the dirt to let me pass by. It really let me know that a lot of people are making some questionable passsing.

I'm a fan of the wave as you go by. Even if it's in a passing zone. I think people get freaked out by a bike buzzing by them. In canyons, on group rides (because everybody needs to pass the car at the same time ), I at least try to do the "safe pass" signal of holding your left arm straight out. If I can't stop them from passing, hopefully I can let them know if there's a car in that blind corner that they are barreling into.

see i have been pulled out on, fliped off, cut off, yelled at, called names. and this has all happened without passing and then people that do that kind of stuff is when i decide i dont want to be around so i pass them and for some reason that pisses them off more but i wasnt going to stick around there with them. i have also noticed it seems to be the guys in big trucks that get the most pissed off about it.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    meh, it's only the beginning of Spring. There's lots more rides to come.
    Exactly. There's no reason to waste the rest of the season trying to pass that one car that may be annoying you. Be safe. Double yellow lines are not intended to piss you off... they're engineered to keep you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    i have also noticed it seems to be the guys in big trucks that get the most pissed off about it.
    There's a couple stories posted every season about some dood in a big pickup who followed/threatened/swerved into or otherwise harassed one of us. Hmm.

real simple..... if you wanna pass, then pass. if not, then don't.

If i'm in the lead then i'll pass whenever i feel comfortable (if people follow that's their decision). If i'm hanging back and riding in the middle and a few people in front of me pass another vehicle. i'll wait till i feel it's safe and then i'll make my pass.

Also, whenever i do pass i look back and let people behind me know when it's safe to make their move if they choose.
    Last edited by Matty; Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I'll pass when comfortable too. I've been in the pack mentality before where it's been "Oh fuck these guys are taking off & I have no idea where we're going, I NEED to hang with" but I don't ride with those kids anymore. I ride with folks who are gonna pull over before the next turn or even after several miles, just to regroup & make sure we're all ok. If I can't see far enough ahead of the car in front of me, I'm not passing. It did get to the point, however, that last year we started experiencing people pulling halfway over in their lanes to let us by without crossing the double yellow. That was a new wrinkle for me, especially 'cause I couldn't tell if they were being very nice & giving me room to scoot by or just being awful drivers!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

ride with hi beam hids? lol

most of the time i use my signals, wave and pass slowly so as not to startle them. even i get startled by my friends blowing past me and for half a second am very angry.

Maybe we should go the speed limit... hahahaha
    Clean Riding - Dirty Bikes
    A slabside, a grandma wagon, and a 3-er.

Quote Originally Posted by haelo View Post
    Maybe we should go the speed limit... hahahaha
    We do.. it's called the n00b ride. LOL.

Srsly, there are times where we do, because it's not safe to pass, or passing would get you nowhere, like coming down 6 behind a string of cars.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

If ya can't pass on a bike and give the other drivers some respect in allowing them to let ya go by or give them a chance to respect ya back, then ya probably drive like an ass-hat in a cage as well.

And don't let another rider ahead of you allow you to ride just as stupid as they may have exhibited on a previous pass. Just with all group rides, a good mantra is "don't get sucked in"

Seriously, as the weather is nicer, tourists are too busy looking at "the pretty leaves on those trees..." give them an opportunity to NOT treat you like a group of dick riders.

For those drivers who just plain hate bikes, pass them and get the fuck away as safely and as fast as you can.

I believe this law was passed recently and it forces drivers holding up at least 5 vehicles to get over. But don't expect all drivers to have gotten this memo: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...08/detail.html
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

I normally don't pass, unless there is a defined passing zone or unless the car rides the shoulder and waves me past. A lot of time the drivers in the canyons are considerate enough to pull over when they can. There's also no reason to get all aggrivated and try to pressure them off the road. I realized while taking it easy in the mountains riding sat and sun this weekend, that it's enjoyable just to cruise at a very polite pace and enjoy the gorgeous scenery that we have here.

I do have my moments though and do pass when I probably shouldn't, but I try to behave myself. I would rather live to ride another day.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

i dunno about you guys but a couple weeks into having my bike i was going through the poudre a little faster then the speed limit and i got overtaken and smoked by some mail van

Quote Originally Posted by sag View Post
    i dunno about you guys but a couple weeks into having my bike i was going through the poudre a little faster then the speed limit and i got overtaken and smoked by some mail van
    Hehe that's funny. Probably would happen to me too
    The time to hesitate is through
    No time to wallow in the mire
    Try now we can only lose
    And our love become a funeral pyre

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

Board Newbie

I have to put my .02 cents in here and say that on my first ride up through Estes Park twisties, when everyone else had passed and left me behind, I did get a little nervous, however I just waited until I could pass the cager's safely. I just kept in mind that I would eventually happen upon the spot where everyone else had stopped to make sure everyone was still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wockilla View Post
    I have to put my .02 cents in here and say that on my first ride up through Estes Park twisties, when everyone else had passed and left me behind, I did get a little nervous, however I just waited until I could pass the cager's safely. I just kept in mind that I would eventually happen upon the spot where everyone else had stopped to make sure everyone was still with us.
    Good for you. Don't be pressured into making a sketchy pass.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

I had a funny one earlier this year when I passed a Ford pickup at moderate speed on an open stretch with good visibility and the guy took offense and started riding my ass. I decided to lose him and went into the next corner at a pretty good clip, dude got half way in and freaked out, hit the brakes, and ran wide into the other lane. I am pretty sure he learned his lesson and he was lucky there was no one coming the other way.

I have noticed a big increase in road rage in my normal commute, I think with the economy being rough and people stressed out about their jobs etc. they are just right on the edge of snapping...best advice is don't be an ass and wheelie down the freeway, lane split, or ride peoples bumpers, but even then just watch out for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    real simple..... if you wanna pass, then pass. if not, then don't.

If i'm in the lead then i'll pass whenever i feel comfortable (if people follow that's their decision). If i'm hanging back and riding in the middle and a few people in front of me pass another vehicle. i'll wait till i feel it's safe and then i'll make my pass.

Also, whenever i do pass i look back and let people behind me know when it's safe to make their move if they choose.
    +1 Couldn't agree more with this. Goes back to riding your ride and doing what feels comfortable to you. Then letting others know if and when it's safe to pass. I think the wave to the cagers is a good thing and also a courteous way to let them know we all share the road.
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...hang on a second. There's passing lanes? I never knew that! And this whole time I've just been passing in the center lines or into oncoming traffic's lane at 90 MPH in second gear. lol
    President-Syndicate Riders
    www.syndicateriders.com

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa...hang on a second. There's passing lanes? I never knew that! And this whole time I've just been passing in the center lines or into oncoming traffic's lane at 90 MPH in second gear. lol
    And that, my friend, is why I will have a beer with you but not ride with you
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV