Thread: Rake and trail

Rake and trail

Question for the mechanics and builders.... In newer bikes, is it possible to adjust the rake without rebuilding the front end?
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Rake and trail

Quote Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
    Question for the mechanics and builders.... In newer bikes, is it possible to adjust the rake without rebuilding the front end?

Yes and no,

Some ducati's have adjustable head tube angles that will allow you to adjust rake (and by default, trail). Other than that you would need to purchase triple clamps with adjustable offsets to change the rake and trail on the front end of the bike.

Rake is also affected by changing front and rear ride height. Again, some high end bikes offer rear shocks with adjustable lengths, but most do not. You can adjust the front ride height by moving the forks up and down in the triple clamps. I suggest only moving them a few MM at a time as the effects on handling can be drastic.

Hope that helps

s

Thanks....this makes sense. I know on my last road bike...it was possible to adjust the rake without changing the geometry of the frame. So increasing the rear height would increase or decrease the rake? Decrease??
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

Decrease, you're making the forks more vertical.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Yep, what scott said and also just changing the size of the tire will lower the rake as well. That's why you might get the nice tank slappers effect going on with high speeds when you make that jump from the small tires to bigger ones. Also take in the effect that as you travel faster the tire does grow due to the heat and centrifugal forces on it. So if you are on a high speed track/course try to adjust for that as well. Not all tires grow the same either.

adjust on adjustas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

Interesting... When you say changing the size of the tire...you mean, rubber front, rear or rim diameter. Can you go into detail about that?

Mostly I am talking about the rear tire. because most of the front tires are the same sizes when it comes to DOT's. (The tires with grooves in it, non-slicks)
    The aspect ratio (second number in tire size) tells you the sidewall height. So a 190/60/17 has a side wall of 190*60% or 190*.6=114 which means the sidewall height on that tires is 114 mm.
    Then, on a 190/55/17 tires the sidewall is 190*55% or 190*.55=104.5mm
    Thus the difference in sidewall height between the two tires is 114-104.5=9.5mm Therefore, to compensate for that difference in height you will need to adjust your suspension accordingly.

learn on learnas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by Scer View Post
    Mostly I am talking about the rear tire. because most of the front tires are the same sizes when it comes to DOT's. (The tires with grooves in it, non-slicks)
    The aspect ratio (second number in tire size) tells you the sidewall height. So a 190/60/17 has a side wall of 190*60% or 190*.6=114 which means the sidewall height on that tires is 114 mm.
    Then, on a 190/55/17 tires the sidewall is 190*55% or 190*.55=104.5mm
    Thus the difference in sidewall height between the two tires is 114-104.5=9.5mm Therefore, to compensate for that difference in height you will need to adjust your suspension accordingly.

learn on learnas
    Excellent info! Thanks, I never knew this..