Thread: iPood question

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

iPood question

I'd heard of the iPods freezing while snowboarding. Anyone have this problem? Planning on going this weekend and thought about using it, but if it's just going to stop on me, I'll just take my Sansa like I usually do.

BTW... it's a Classic 30gb video 5th Gen.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Re: iPood question

I keep mine in my inner jacket pocket...never had an issue with freezing.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" — Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by eg bter View Post
    I keep mine in my inner jacket pocket...never had an issue with freezing.
    My inner jacket pocket is on my shell, so it's not very warm in there.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

As long as you don't have it strapped to the outside of your gear it will be fine. I have had mine freeze up before when I've been boarding. I started leaving it on the inside of my jacket and no problems.
    ~Dutch Paul - Artist~

Inside pocket, never had a problem. Now the hose for my camelback freezing is a whole different issue.

Same for me, inner pocket, no issues, even when its on the shell

AKA "Devaclis"

You have 2 problems with iPOD/MP3 players and the cold:

1. Batteries do not work well, if at all, in freezing temperatures unless they are built specifically for those conditions. Batteries not made for extreme cold will stop functioning and your device will shut down.

2. LCD screens also do not function in the cold. The chemical reaction that makes them work slows and then stops as the crystals actually cannot change alignment. This causes the device to either lock up, shut down, or go into an error loop (built into the software) as it recognizes the malfunction.

To help reduce, but not solve these problems, I have found that putting a hand warmer pack in the same pocket as the iPOD/MP3 player works pretty well. Be aware that there is always a small bit of moisture involved with doing this. You may want to make sure your device is protected.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    You may want to make sure your device is protected.
    Always make sure your device is protected.

And it's an HDD-based model and HDDs usually like temperatures above 40F.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Inside pocket, never had a problem. Now the hose for my camelback freezing is a whole different issue.
    That's why you get the winter one w/ the hose insulator.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Yeah, Mine's crapped out on me once or twice. The only reason is that the battery doesn't function in the cold very well. For instance, I left the iPod in the car two nights ago when it go down to 20 degrees or so and, even tho it had a full battery, when I fired it up & tried to use it, it told me that I had no remaining power and died on me. All you've gotta do is warm it up a little. Just cup it in your hands & blow on it a little (insert littany of gay jokes here).

I've never really had it freeze while snowboarding b/c even tho it's in the outter pocket, it never really gets cold enough to effect the battery's functionality.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I have left my Ipod in my car during the winter multiple times over the past few years. Worst that has happened will be a slow screen response (never a lock up per Dev), however my battery life hasn't been affected much... still get a quite a few hours out of a charge.

As far as locking up, that happens to me completely randomly about once every 3-4 months independent of weather conditions. Thankfully Ipods are easy to reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    [threadjack] Even with the insulator, on very cold January type days you get freezing. Less so if you blow back after taking a swing, so that the hose nothing but air.[/threadjack]
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I thought batteries liked the cold...they discharge slower. As long as your in sub zero temps...
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" — Hunter S. Thompson

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

I always had the same problem w/ my 30g 5th gen wick...so i ended up getting a 2g shuffle and didn't have a problem when I went boarding this year.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

The chemical reaction in a battery slows down in the cold, that's why it's harder to crank your bike/car in the cold. Asking it to provide the starting voltage/current makes it work harder. iPods are on a smaller scale but the same principle.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

remember that ol Eddie Murphy cut??

........stick an iPod up your butt.....

would make a good newer 2009 remix dontcha think.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    [threadjack] Even with the insulator, on very cold January type days you get freezing. Less so if you blow back after taking a swing, so that the hose nothing but air.[/threadjack]
    What are you guys doing, this is total threadjacking and is completely uncalled for. If it wasn't Chadwick's thread I would reccomend an immediate banning of the both of you!

(j/k Thanks for the advise. Yeah, I'll have to look into one of those insulator's. It would probably be nice to protect the line during summer as well.)

Resume with ipod batteries!

Quote Originally Posted by eg bter View Post
    I thought batteries liked the cold...they discharge slower. As long as your in sub zero temps...
    I have batteries in field monitoring equipment in streams in Buena Vista. 2 D batteries run the same equipment for 12 weeks in the summer, 8 weeks in the winter.

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe Siphek View Post
    I always had the same problem w/ my 30g 5th gen wick...so i ended up getting a 2g shuffle and didn't have a problem when I went boarding this year.
    That's because the 5th generation iPod uses a HDD. The shuffle uses a flash drive.
    Same thing could happen during hot ambient temperatures. The HDD's like to skip or lock up more easily.
    It's not really an issue about battery performance, unless you battery is worn out, then the cold temps will really put more stress on them.
    Last edited by Canuck; Fri Apr 3rd, 2009 at 12:12 PM.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe Siphek View Post
    This is off topic, but it's my thread, so... But is that the one you had the remote for? I was wondering if I could get something like that for mine.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

This is off topic, but it's my thread, so... But is that the one you had the remote for? I was wondering if I could get something like that for mine.
    I use this: http://web.mac.com/jmwest/iWeb/Site%...pod-remote.jpg for skiing and riding. My Nano stays in my jacket.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I use this: http://web.mac.com/jmwest/iWeb/Site%...pod-remote.jpg for skiing and riding. My Nano stays in my jacket.
    I was thinking wireless.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

yeah wick...it's called iJet...found it at Target a couple years back. I love that thing.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    You just need to fill it with "antifreeze" instead of water....I recommend tequila.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"