Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for selling a bike

Account Deactivated at users request

Tips for selling a bike

I have some people coming to look at my bike this week. I've never sold a street bike but I am assuming the person will want to ride it around the block or something. There are some obvious things to look for to see if they're going to try and run with it, but I was wondering if anyone knows the best approach to take with it.

I'll check for a class M endorsement on their license, I won't do it at my house, I'll write down their name and address and DOB and license #, anything else?

Re: Tips for selling a bike

Yeah, a check for the amount you want for it.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

No way in hell I would let anybody ride my bike without cash in hand first.

Other than that, get collateral. Car keys of whatever ride he shows up in, drivers license, etc.

I would also make him sign a "you break it you bought it" test ride agreement.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Don't get a check, cash only because a check can bounce.

If they want to ride it and don't have a helmet, there's a good chance they are a new rider or squid. then have them sign a waiver stating they'll pay for it if them lay it down in any way. PLUS get a witness to sign it, and sign it yourself.

When i bought my first bike, the guy wanted me to ride it, I said no way because I hadnt even taken the class yet....the bike looked great, started and i had the guy ride it around for me Paid cash.....and now i miss it
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Where are you located Mike? I want to come test steal, er... test crash, er... test ride your bike.

Just around the block.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Like others have said

1. No test rides w/o cash in hand
    2. If they don't have a helmet with them, not test rides at all...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

The guy I bought my bike from let me give her the 'ol test ride without any collateral, surprisingly. Granted, I showed up with a buddy of mine who rode while I caged it. Seller was a completely stand up guy though. I'm making payments to him (interest free), and he flat out told me, "Well if something comes up and you'll be late on a payment or something, just let me know". I would protect this guy in the showers, no doubt.

With that said, cash in hand and/or a written contract signed on the spot for test rides.

If you don't know what CYA means, learn it before you have people looking at your girl
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Account Deactivated at users request

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Where are you located Mike? I want to come test steal, er... test crash, er... test ride your bike.

Just around the block.
    Lol

At this point I'll be noting that the person needs to bring:

• Class M Endorsement
    • Proof of Insurance for their vehicle
    • They'll be signing a waiver saying if they crash it they buy it
    • I'll be bringing along two buddies
    • Cash Deposit
    • I was also told that it might be a good idea to have a friend follow the person on their bike? Comments?

As far as the last bullet point, as the seller, you have every right to CYA and you shouldn't feel akward about doing so. If the guy has a problem with it, tell him to take a walk.

Listing your requirements(Endorsement, Waiver/cash in hand(!), leave the buddy ride-along to that day, dunno about proof of ins on current vehicle) in your advertisement to sell would also save a lot of wasted time on the buyer's end. Just shows that you care about who gets your bike and that you probably took really good care of it.
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

YUP...I had a past co-worker who told me a story. A dude took the bike for a test ride, left his kid, wife and van there....And as soon as the bike was out of sight the lady in the van took off...

Check for scum-baggish and douche baggery activity.

For me:

I would want their license, keys to their vehicle and their cash in your hand if they want a test ride your bike....Your bike, you make the rules. If not, test ride it for them in front of them. Sounds a little extreme but these are extreme times!!!! Fuck it, make em work for it!

You can lose big in alot of ways, make sure your covered!

Also when I sold my bike, they paid half to hold it and another half to come get it, BUT I delivered it because they didnt have anyone with a M endorsement and I didnt want to see my bike dumped on the side of the road on the way to the bank.....
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I got something a little different when I bought my V-Strom, in that I gave the guy a check and took the bike, but he held the title until the check cleared since I was selling another bike later that afternoon to fund the new purchase. I also had to give him a LOT of proof that I was a real person, where I lived, who I was (like character references), etc but he was at least reasonably assured that I was a legitimate person. Still a whole mess of CYA going on (and I'm not sure I'd even be that trusting unless I knew the guy personally) but a little different than the "cash in hand" method. FWIW I did also test ride the bike, of course with the "you crash it you bought it" clause though I already knew I wanted it unless something bad appeared on the test ride.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

When I bought my first bike I had cash in hand and had my ex test ride it and then ride it home for me since I was still just off the msf course. The seller held on to the cash and his buddy sat in the parking lot in his car until the deal was finalized and all paperwork was completed. When I sold it I required same cash in hand etc. The guy that bought it ended up leaving his DL with me instead of the cash which was ok since he left his girl behind and I knew I could take her. And I had my ex with me to insure my own safety during the transaction. All was smooth

I've had a little bit more trouble getting a test ride from the private seller of a bike I looked at this time around since I am financing through the bank and not cash in hand. She let me sit on it and fire it up but not ride it. She sounded like she might have considered letting me ride it down the street but it was dark and I didn't want to push it just in case something happened. I don't blame her I wouldn't have let me ride it if the roles were reversed.
    The time to hesitate is through
    No time to wallow in the mire
    Try now we can only lose
    And our love become a funeral pyre

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

When you adverstise on craigslist, your flake factor goes up 98%. If you have any kind of gut reaction, don't let em near it. I would advertise "No test rides without cash in hand" to keep some of the flakey peaple away. If someone shows up and they seem straight, make an exception.

But on that, I would keep almost no gas in it, so if it does disapear, you can start at the gas stations. Or at least you would have security camera proof when they went to court.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

I say cash in hand for test rides not keys tto there car. I had someone call me last year to keep an eye out for a bike cause the guy that took it gave him his truck keys to hold on to and guess what the truck was stolenand not really his.

And wft does CYA mean
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

CYA = Cover Your Ass
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

CASH CASH CASH CASH.

Make him give you the cash, THEN go ride it. Count the cash too, I had some douche bag come try to buy my ducati with 1500 less then I was asking hoping to haggle after the fact. If you're asking 6k, get 6k cash in hand then let him do whatever he wants, you've got the cash. If he wrecks it, he owns it. Easy.
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

When I bought my Ducati from someone on this board it was easier, since we all kind of know who's who, less chance of someone being a scam. He held on to the title while my check cleared, and then snail mailed the title so I could get the bike registered.

When I sold it the buyer came with cash, so it was even easier.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I've always done "test rides" as a presale deal. Basically, they can place the cash in full in my hand, and they have 30 minutes to undo the deal, as long as the bike is returned in exactly the same condition it left in. No cash, no test ride. I also have a bill of sale I use which includes a release of claims, releasing me from any and all liability related to the motorcycle from the point that the buyer takes possession of it.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

OK, no change from anyone else.

Back in 1994 I was selling my 1991 Kawi Ninja 750r. Dude who was interested did not know how to ride so he brought his friend who could. Yeah, you see where this is going.

He rounded the second corner in my apt complex not a mere 50 yards away and put it down. Broke clutch lever, shift lever and left side peg.

I looked at dude who was interested and he paid me my full asking price without me saying a word. Friend got up and said he did not know the front brakes work so well......

Could have been an interesting day for me.

John

Seriously? You trust strangers enough for a test ride on your bike?

Sheeeet... I don't even trust the Momma with two babies on her hips walking across Broadway in front of me when I'm on the scooter. That bitch has a plan... I know it! LOL

Good luck with that!

seriously?
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Shit, this was back in 1994......times were a little different. Folks sort of cared.

If that was not directed at me, carry on.

John

As per my story of my bike purchase, I pretty much rode it without much more than talking to him on the phone and talking to him for 5 minutes at his house.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd