Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops who ride?

Cops who ride?

What is your take on them. I know their are cops who ride with the club, but at what speeds do they ride when they are out of uniform......

Last fall I rode with a CHP from Denver to the MotoGP deal over at Indy. We cruised at a solid 85-90 the entire way, with bursts quicker when it opened up. We would stop and have a beer, or two, or three then hop back on and cruise again at 85-90. We passed people who were pulled over, and when we stopped, he would tell me how lucky I was to be riding with him. I could never stop thinking about how he could go back to work, and hand out speeding tickets all day, patrolling back and forth his little "stretch". I have rode with cops all over the country, and they were all the same. We would cruise, generally 15-20 mph over the limit, and I always felt good. I was pulled over twice with two different cops, and both times, the two of them started laughing and one slapped the other one on the back. Kiss my ass. Every other year I almost lose my liscence with points, and these guys ride with a shield.

Re: Cops who ride?

Its got to have some perks, right?? It's not like they make millions to get shot at and fight wife beaters and crack heads....
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Account Deactivated at users request

Well, I have been riding with cops on dirt bikes ever since I was about 11 (Stepdad is a motor officer), and I have ridden with them on the street since 17 when I got my M endorsement. I know a lot of them push 15-20 just cruising along and they are all damn good riders. I don't think I want to try outrunning Cali Motors.

Motorcops are riders too, they have to be to spend 8hrs in the saddle. There are some who have an attitude, but most like to be out riding just like the rest of us. As long as you're not being a dick they cut you some slack. Like the one I rode with from Boulder the other day. I saw him in my mirrors and we acknowledged each other, and then played cat/mouse filtering through traffic a 5-10 over.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

ASP... I think your reply is way off. I dont think you understood the post...

Rajun... You make me warm and fuzzy.

Aaron
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

I hope I haven't been riding with cops on the board... Now I need to think about who I ride with.
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

I got couple of friends that are cops and I push my limit with some of those guys when we ride. Of course, they tell me they give drivers/riders up to 10mph over before pulling anyone over so I guess they are pretty cool.
    11 Hayabusa
    12 Tundra Rock Warrior
    03 Evolution VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    ASP... I think your reply is way off. I dont think you understood the post...
    You don't think cops are just riders like the rest of us when they're off duty? That's all I was sayin'
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

^^^nope they are robots. Now bite my shinny metal ass.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Once rode to the top of Berthoud Pass with other members of the CSC. The pace was ummmm... race like. At Winter Park for lunch I introduced myself to a rider on a liter bike. Learned he was a town sheriff. When I noted what we had just done he mentioned when he clocked out, he clocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    You don't think cops are just riders like the rest of us when they're off duty? That's all I was sayin'
    Got ya... Sounded like you were replying about motorcops during thier work day. While the post was about riding with cops off duty.

As long as we both understand...

Aaron
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun View Post
    Its got to have some perks, right?? It's not like they make millions to get shot at and fight wife beaters and crack heads....
    So who decides when enough is enough?
    No one should be above the law
    That entitlement attitude is one of the reasons people hate some cops. I put my life at risk almost every day at my job but I am not asking for any privileges.
    Last edited by Bueller; Wed Apr 29th, 2009 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun View Post
    sorry I dont believe any of those happen often enough to justify a person being a hypocrite like most cops are. The worse thing a cop need to worry about is filling their quota and getting yelled at by some hot chick that doesnt like him.
    Most cops dont do shit but revenue collect to save their own jobs.
    Plus what happen to lead by example, they are the one that should show us the PERFECT way to live and for them to break the blatantly break the law they should lose their job

just my 2cents
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    What is your take on them. I know their are cops who ride with the club, but at what speeds do they ride when they are out of uniform......

Last fall I rode with a CHP from Denver to the MotoGP deal over at Indy. We cruised at a solid 85-90 the entire way, with bursts quicker when it opened up. We would stop and have a beer, or two, or three then hop back on and cruise again at 85-90. We passed people who were pulled over, and when we stopped, he would tell me how lucky I was to be riding with him. I could never stop thinking about how he could go back to work, and hand out speeding tickets all day, patrolling back and forth his little "stretch". I have rode with cops all over the country, and they were all the same. We would cruise, generally 15-20 mph over the limit, and I always felt good. I was pulled over twice with two different cops, and both times, the two of them started laughing and one slapped the other one on the back. Kiss my ass. Every other year I almost lose my liscence with points, and these guys ride with a shield.
    This pisses me off. Stupid cops putting themselves above the law, and including you in it.

BULLSHIT double standards...

It's one thing to act like a normal person outside of your job as a cop, but it's another for on-duty cops to put an off-duty cop and his friends, above the law.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

i used to work around LEOs all the time..... back then i was speeding like crazy averaging 2 tickets a year or more and the resounding advice was..... if you want to avoid speeding tickets, become a cop.

just like burger flippers get hooked up with extra fries, these guys get off all the time. at least they are good..... how many times do you hear "off duty police officer crashes his motorcycle on academy and platte at speeds 100+"? rarely at best, if any.... lol

06 DR650SE

oooo...alot of negative vibes coming across at us cops.
    We choose to ride with CSC for the love of the bikes and the comraderie. I cant tell you how many times Ive bit my tongue on some young pup mouthing off on us. We take the same risks riding as you. Law enforcement is like any other job, most of us are cool, a small percent are not (thats life).
    I will hit 10mph over to stay with a group but stick to the limit when riding solo. I am also not afraid to back off when a group is riding too"spiritedly". Everyone knows riders must stay within their comfort zone or bad things happen.
    Everyone has a different personality. If you try to figure out whats fair in life or why people are the way they are, then you better invest in the tylenol company and make sure your insurance covers long term psychotherapy.
    Introduce yourself and hang out with us before you fire off a judgement. You'll see most of us are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR View Post
    the resounding advice was..... if you want to avoid speeding tickets, become a cop.
    Any emergency responder position will generally do ya well. It kept me from any tickets until last damn month....but that one was reduced after the cop found out. lmao
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Medicjess View Post
    It kept me from any tickets until last damn month....
    *Sigh*
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

I think it sucks when cops get off because of who they work for, but guess what?

Life's not fair. If you become a politician or gain some position where you could make come changes then I'll be the first to stand behind you. Ultimately...too f-ing bad. The best way to not get a ticket is to not speed. $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    *Sigh*
    LOL... C'est la vie!
    I'm sure I could have pressed the issue even more since the guy was impressed with all of my gear and chatting me up about his past riding experience...but I was not thinking real coherently at that point as I'm sure you remember. haha...oh well!

But back onto topic.... Yes, everybody is different and every career can have its perks. I don't complain when a cop gets their perks, but I don't like it when they EXPECT them. Unfortunately there are a few bad seeds tainting the image as a whole - and methinks that it is a sensitive issue for a lot of folks since it is a position of authority.

Sometimes the job goes to their heads...same thing with firefighters for instance - and that is what the general public sees and judges. What can ya do but be who you are and try to provide a more positive image for the class that you are lumped into?
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

membership has it's privileges, so what?!

I hang w/ a lot of LEOs and consider them all friends...

I got a ticket last week from a motorcycle cop... was I mad? nope, I screwed up and he called the ball... life goes on.

You want to have some real fun, get a bunch of cops together to go shooting! They're worse than sport bikers when it comes to the farkles they put into their hobbies (weapons)...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Kawasakirob, what is your issue with cops that ride? You just joined this forum and already complaining about them twice....the other time on your introduction.

From your other post:
    "I do not like cops who ride and try to be my friend, for the simple fact that when they are out of uniform, they are the first ones to haul ass. I like riding with them however because it provides a shield."

All types of people like to ride, no matter what profession, and yes, no matter what you ride, you will at one point, get spirited, they are no different than the rest of us.
    Last edited by Slo; Wed Apr 29th, 2009 at 11:01 AM.

Also what I may add is you say it being a hypocrit but that same cop that is riding with you. If he was to pull someone over he is more likly to let them off with a warning if all there paper work is legit. IMO.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

[quote=Slo1299;443687]Kawasakirob, what is your issue with cops that ride? You just joined this forum and already complaining about them twice....the other time on your introduction.

My issue with cops is that yes they do ride, and I respect that. I never said I did not. I have a problem with when they do ride, they do the EXACT same thing that gets me nailed every time. And yes I have complained about it twice and will probably complain about it again. I am new to the forum. I do know how diverse riding is, thats it. I find it interesting that they can hand out speeding tickets...collecting big fines, and give a safety speech, or a speech on lack of poor judgement. Then on the weekend, we all rock the canyons. I am not a goob, I simply like to open my bike up when nescessary, and generally that includes 15mph over the limit to pass people before they hit me. I have been down 8 times on the street. 3 involving cars, 1 truck, 1 cow, 3 bad calls on corners. I do not need some biker cop in shortsleeves and half helmet to tell me to slow down for my own safety. I do have friends who are cops, they are great people, I just don't get how they can write tickets for the same things they do(speeding) when they are off.