Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senate bill 148 (bicyclists)

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Senate bill 148 (bicyclists)

If you guys are concerned about the new bill that will allow bicyclist to impede traffic with even more impunity, you can e-mail Senator Greg Brophy at: greg@gregbrophy.net
    or his phone#: (303) 866-6360

or call or fax Gov. Ritter at:
    Ph: (303) 866-2471
    Fax: (303) 866-2003

Here's what I wrote:
    Senator Brophy,

As a current resident of Boulder, and of Colorado for the last 6 years, I am greatly concerned about this new bicyclist bill. I see the current arrogance and attitudes of the typical militant bicyclist, and am appalled. This bill can only make things worse. They are at best an impediment to traffic, at worst a hazard to not only themselves but all motorists. I see them blatantly hugging the white line, though there is plenty of bicycle lane to use farther from traffic. I see them blowing through red lights and stop signs with impunity, just to prevent them from having to actually come to a complete stop which, by law, they as we are required to do. I see them cutting across multiple lanes of traffic with no signal, forcing drivers and motorcyclists to take evasive action. I see pairs and groups of them riding side-by-side, impeding traffic just so they can chat. If there are no bicycle lanes I see them using the middle of the lane, blocking traffic and forcing vehicles to cross double-yellow lines to avoid them. It’s even worse in the canyons where a long line of cars can be stuck behind them for miles. Sometimes, even though there in fact are pedestrian and bicycle paths that we paid for, for their use, they shun them because they don’t want to have to slow down to avoid the joggers. If this bill passes, it will only let them act with more arrogance, entitlement, and impunity. This behavior has to stop.

When I rode bicycles and skateboards all over as a kid in Boulder from ’75 to ’80 when I lived here before, I rode as far off to the side as possible because it was instilled in me by my parents and society that we did not have the right to impede traffic. That we were the vulnerable ones who would be the losers in any vehicle/pedestrian accident, and therefore developed a healthy sense of self-preservation. Sadly, these lessons seem to have been lost on this new generation of bicyclists. Instead, they have instilled in themselves a sense of entitlement allowing this reprehensible and irresponsible behavior. That the roads are theirs, and not ours.

I believe that as the majority of the road funding comes from motor vehicle taxes, and the fact that most people and the goods and services that sustain our society are transported by motorized vehicles, that their needs should take precedence. I would hope that as I’m sure I’m only one of many, if not in fact the majority of Coloradans that feel this way, that this bill will be dropped or defeated. I know if I had the chance to vote on it, I would vote against it. It’s time to take our roads back.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this further.

Best regards,

Frank S. Schiavone
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Re: Senate bill 148 (bicyclists)

I haven’t exactly seen the roads “taken over by cyclists,” Frank. This bill will provide a 3 foot safe passing zone by law for road cyclists and nothing more. Like you said, cyclists (like motorcyclists) are vulnerable road users and I don’t see this bill changing how cyclists currently use the roadways. Are there arrogant, law-breaking cyclists on the roads...sure are, and those cyclists are not real smart IMO. Are there arrogant motorists and motorcyclists on the roads...yup (you make quite a generalization with cyclists).

With the exception of a couple big charity rides, I’ve given up road cycling b/c there are just too many morons on the roads and I have more fun on my FZR in the canyons. I do use a bicycle to get to work most days (I rode 4,019 miles last year commuting). I ride bike paths about 60 percent on my ride to work in the afternoon, and secondary streets with a bike lane on my return home around midnight. Am I concerned about getting run over by some inattentive, arrogant, drunk (you name it) motorist even while riding in an on street bike lane? Yes I am, and I take every precaution that is feasible to prevent this. So while I agree with you regarding the arrogant, law-breaking cyclists, not all cyclists you see are that way. Some of us are just working stiffs on our way to work.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I say if they cant keep pace with traffic get on the sidewalk!!!! they are a safety hazard and nothing more.
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

A lot of folks think sportbikes are a "safety hazard and nothing more." Shall sportbikes be banished to tracks only?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

No but harleys should be made to ride on the sidewalks
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

nope, but that is the great thing about it being my opinion. I can care less what they think about sportbike riders as I can care less about their pedal bikes. Plus I have yet to see a bicycle keep up with the flow of traffic and thats the key to my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    A lot of folks think sportbikes are a "safety hazard and nothing more." Shall sportbikes be banished to tracks only?
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

First, I haven't read what this new bill is but I'll take John's explanation for now.
    Motorcyclists complaining about bicycles are the pot calling the kettle black.
    Sportbikers, as well as cruiser yahoos, break just as many, if not more laws each and every ride as what a bicyclist does. And honestly, from what I've experienced from riding two wheeled vehicles (both motorized and not) for over the last 30 years, whoever is doing the whining is basically jealous. When I used to bike commute, I could make it across Ft. Collins faster on my bicycle than driving or riding a moto simply because each time I got a redlight (no, I don't blow thru them) I only had to wait one signal change. There were times driving that I would sit at a light for 3-4 cycles before getting across the intersection.
    Moto's piss off cars the same way because you can go where they can't and make your way thru traffic much easier (and this IS possible without being a jackass and cutting people off or splitting lanes).

That said I know that the big group rides that take a whole lane are a black eye for the majority of bicyclists...kinda like those morons on the sportbikes that cut thru traffic doing standup wheelies.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    nope, but that is the great thing about it being my opinion. I can care less what they think about sportbike riders as I can care less about their pedal bikes. Plus I have yet to see a bicycle keep up with the flow of traffic and thats the key to my opinion.
    I have passed cars coming down from Horsetooth and motorcycles on the way into Masonville on a bicycle so key this
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    First, I haven't read what this new bill is but I'll take John's explanation for now.
    Motorcyclists complaining about bicycles are the pot calling the kettle black.
    Sportbikers, as well as cruiser yahoos, break just as many, if not more laws each and every ride as what a bicyclist does. And honestly, from what I've experienced from riding two wheeled vehicles (both motorized and not) for over the last 30 years, whoever is doing the whining is basically jealous. When I used to bike commute, I could make it across Ft. Collins faster on my bicycle than driving or riding a moto simply because each time I got a redlight (no, I don't blow thru them) I only had to wait one signal change. There were times driving that I would sit at a light for 3-4 cycles before getting across the intersection.
    Moto's piss off cars the same way because you can go where they can't and make your way thru traffic much easier (and this IS possible without being a jackass and cutting people off or splitting lanes).

That said I know that the big group rides that take a whole lane are a black eye for the majority of bicyclists...kinda like those morons on the sportbikes that cut thru traffic doing standup wheelies.

I love it when people say my words for me!!
    SweeeT!!!
    2004 Blue GSX-R 600 Ghetto Fenderectomy

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    No but Harleys should be made to ride on the sidewalks

At least a harley motor wont freeze and crack

And E I was thinking just about the same.
    Last edited by Bueller; Sat Apr 18th, 2009 at 05:48 PM.

It is easy to over-generalize, but I mostly agree with Frank on this. Being as that we pay taxes through fuel purchases as well as license plate/registration fees in order to operate motorized vehicles on our roadways, there is a difference between motorcyclists and bicyclists. Just as with drivers/riders who aren't asshats on the road, I've got no problem with bicyclists who are mindful of other traffic when they might be impeding those other drivers and who then get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    At least a harley motor wont freeze and crack

John

Quote Originally Posted by MattTLS View Post
    It is easy to over-generalize, but I mostly agree with Frank on this. Being as that we pay taxes through fuel purchases as well as license plate/registration fees in order to operate motorized vehicles on our roadways, there is a difference between motorcyclists and bicyclists. Just as with drivers/riders who aren't asshats on the road, I've got no problem with bicyclists who are mindful of other traffic when they might be impeding those other drivers and who then get out of the way.
    True, but did the bicyclist not pay a sales tax for their bike, sales tax on accersories, property tax on their home or through rent payments. Bikes have an equal right to a paved road that a car/motorcycle has.

Quote Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
    True, but did the bicyclist not pay a sales tax for their bike, sales tax on accersories, property tax on their home or through rent payments. Bikes have an equal right to a paved road that a car/motorcycle has.
    Is the bicycle required to have license plates, registration and insurance to operate on a public roadway?? Absolutely not

Ride that fucking thing on the sidewalk and bike lane where its supposed to be
    Mike

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:14 PM.

Let's see...I have two cars, one motorcycle and a camper that I pay license fees on. Now the camper doesn't get used every day, that should mean that I should be able to get a refund for paying those road taxes that I didn't get to pull my camper on? Right?

Whoever says bicycles belong on a sidewalk definitely doesn't ride one.
    Let's go with all motorcyclists MUST ride Harleys. But wait you whine.."that's not fair! Harleys are slow! They don't corner or brake as safely as my sportbike!" HMMMM, sounds like the interaction between bicycles and pedestrians on sidewalks! WEIRD, Huh????

Again, don't get pissed off at a certain user group because of a few idiots in the overall group. There are a hella lot more bicycles sold in this country than motorcycles and alot more political clout with them then the hooligans on these damn sportbikes running amuk, crashing all over and killing themselves and innocent people.

Afterall, that's how sportbikes are viewed by the soccer mom/ city council member/ joe average citzen you just rode a wheelie past/pissed off with your loud pipe/ or alomst sideswiped while lane splitting illegally isn't it?
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    SnipAlso I think it is nuts that people would ride bicycles in the canyons. Your going even the seed limit say 35mph or 45mph and you come up to a nice set of corners and as you round one there is a damn bicycle in the roadway and as they are going slow uphill they force you to break hard to avoid hitting them. Hell you might be forced to cut close to them so you can get around and avoid the oncoming vehicle.
    I think you should be glad to come upon a vehicle travelling the same direction, with clearance to go around them vs. a car or better yet an elk or deer that could scatter anywhere.

If motorcyclists actually ride within their limits and expect the unexpected then there shouldn't be a problem with the situation you state.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

I think in at least most of the state that bicyclists are not allowed to operate said vehicles on the interstate -- why would that be? The huge disparity in speeds easily makes unsafe conditions for all groups involved if bikes could ride the interstate. To me, the same thing would apply on many other roads as well. How to figure out a safe answer for all is what needs to be determined -- we can't cater to just one group.

I have no problem with bicyclists....IF they don't behave like I mentioned. Sadly, they seem to be in the minority. I don't believe there is ANY reason to ride side-by-side as they are nothing but slower than traffic. Wilson/Taft Hill between FTC and LVLD has a nice wide bicycle lane (at least 8' wide), yet I almost always see the bicyclists hug the white line forcing most people to go into the oncoming lane. The whine about "debris".....waaah. We used to ride our Schwinns over EVERYTHING far off the side of the road and not cry about it. And, if there are 2 or more, they hang out into the car lane, further obstructing traffic. I saw a couple idiots doing that when I was bringing a trailer to Boulder last weekend. I had traffic coming and this guy was huggin the white line on my side. I wasn't going to risk a collision so I just held my line. Probably had maybe a foot between the wheels and the guy, but he had plenty of room and plenty of time to move away from the line and didn't.

There are minimum speed limits for a reason, and if they can't keep up with traffic in the mountains are an impediment, ban 'em. Hey, we get tickets for going TOO fast, why don't they get them for going too slow?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I think in at least most of the state that bicyclists are not allowed to operate said vehicles on the interstate -- why would that be? The huge disparity in speeds easily makes unsafe conditions for all groups involved if bikes could ride the interstate. To me, the same thing would apply on many other roads as well. How to figure out a safe answer for all is what needs to be determined -- we can't cater to just one group.
    +1

Say for example, since I paid sales tax on my skateboard, that "entitles" me to ride it down Santa Fe. Or further, I just bought a kick ass pair of heelies and since I paid sales tax on them, I could just coast along the middle of broadway.

Paying sales tax, homeowners tax etc. does not "entitle" anybody to shit. And along with that driving is a privilege, not a right. The whole bicyclist movement of share the road is misdirected. Instead it should be watch out for me. Share the road should be a slogan backed by motorcyclists.

I do agree that motorists should be cautious toward bicyclists, but along with this the bicyclists should have an implied responsibility not to impede traffic unless in an instance where there is no other option.
    Mike

If I remember correctly, sales taxes aren't much of the revenue collected for roads, it's vehicle registration fees etc., which cyclists don't pay on their bikes.

Regardless, the real issue is still the fact that they seriously impede traffice flow for the majority of the road users (motorized).

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I see the problem of elitist cyclists in and around hippy college towns and no where else. My $0.02

Bicyclists who act appropriately are largely ok, but here's the way it should be: if you want to act like a car (or street legal motorized vehicle), receive the same rights and considerations on the road as a car, and receive the same privileges as a car, then you need to act like a car. If you're going to blow through traffic lights, stop signs, and down roads, that's fine, but you've gotta pay your reg fees, get insurance (in case you CAUSE an accident), wait in line at traffic lights, stay off the sidewalks, and use turn signals like a car. If you want to skip ahead of the line of traffic & go all the way up to the light, ride on sidewalks, and disobey traffic signals and otherwise act like a pedstrian, then you're gonna get treated like a pedestrian. It's illegal to run over somone crossing the street and you can bet your ass if I was walking up the middle of Deer Creek canyon or down the middle of santa fe you can you bet your ass that I'd be arested. However, I seen cyclists doing this exact thing. Today we countered two cyclists riding side by side, taking up the middle of the road and forcing our car to stop so that they could get by without us hitting them. If four motorcycles were riding next to each other on a canyon road, taking up the entire lane or maybe two of a two lane road, then they'd be a rolling roadblock and be ticketed. I'm not against cyclists and the majority of them are completely fine. However, comparing them to motorcycles isn't accuate since motorcycles are requried to follow the same rules as cars and only do things cars can't when they're breaking traffic laws. When bicyclists do these things then they're fully allowed because they're on bicycles and not motorized vehicles and they're NOT the same thing.

Again, if you wanna act like a car, you've gotta follow the rules like a car. If you don't wanna follow those rules, then get the hell off the road.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Me me me me me.. .the roads belong to me. The rest of you go home.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...