Thread: Accident this morning (not me)

Accident this morning (not me)

One of the things I noticed when I started the Close Calls thread was that the intersection of Rt 7 and East Countyline Road east of Lafayette was particularly dangerous. Garbage trucks make a right on Countyline from 7 since the offices are just a ways up there. New homes are going in in Erie which increases traffic both making a right on to Countyline but making a left on to 7. To make matters worse, Countyline is at an off angle making it even harder for people making a turn (left or right). Add in the morning sun and you have an accident waiting to happen.

One thing I noticed is that people seem to roll the dice in making the left or right turn when something is blocking their view such as a garbage truck or UPS truck. They pull out hoping that oncoming traffic from the left will see them in time to stop. I've approached that intersection with the sun at my back and had the sense to slow down from the speed limit (55MPH) to something where I can safely stop if necessary and if you check the thread, it's happened a few times.

Unfortunately this morning the fates caught up with a left turner. Rt 7 and Countyline was blocked and traffic rerouted around the intersection as a fire truck, ambulance, and several police investigated the two car accident.

Be careful out there and think about upcoming intersections and whether they can see you. The people in the two cars probably survived the accident. We as riders likely wouldn't.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: Accident this morning (not me)

Motorcycle + Garbage Truck (loaded going to the dump) = pulp
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Actually the garbage truck guys can see you since they're higher. It's the cars and SUVs that can't see through the garbage truck. I'm coming down the road, garbage truck making a right and I can just see the front fender and bumper of a car waiting to make a left. I see a gap in oncoming traffic and I know the waiting car is going to pull out and try to make the gap. That's where I'm aware of what's going to happen and slow. He pulls out, sees my modulating light and you can see the fear in his eyes as he hits the gas. But I'm already slow and well able to stop and shake my finger and head at him.

And that's what I mean about being aware. If I was just cruising and taking in the sights, I would have ended up in the guys front seat. Since I was aware, I could take evasive action even if it's just slowing down and being ready to stop (and don't forget the guys behind you that are zoned out).

Especially since I know this is a dangerous intersection. 55MPH, off angled turn, sun in their eyes, big trucks making rights, moderate to heavy traffic, and impatient drivers is just a bad set of circumstances. I expect a light will be put in there soon along with a speed reduction to 45.

Carl

Any way to bring these intersections to the attention of traffic planning and safety at CDOT? I swear, some of them must've been laid out by summer interns.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Any way to bring these intersections to the attention of traffic planning and safety at CDOT? I swear, some of them must've been laid out by summer interns.
    I don't know about county or state but I reported a intersection in Longmont recently. A "Transportation Engineer" from the city of Longmont responded to my suggestion (additional lane markings at an intersection) and said they would make the changes.

Good to know. I'll check the Boulder County website and see how to let them know. With the entries in the Close Call thread and this morning's accident, it might be enough for them to review it.

Thanks.

Carl

That's right in front of my house! I live in Vista Ridge, near the entrance by the 7-11... Dangerous place to ride at times...
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    I don't ride like a tool, tools ride like me! foo...

I hate that intersection. I almost got tagged there last summer. Now I avoid it if I can.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.