Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the sad end to my trip

the sad end to my trip

well, at least for now, my trip is kinda on hold, and possibly toast...

i was headed towards brians head, ut on ut-130 when the bike started acting like it just hit fuel cut. however, i had just filled up 15 miles back. anyways, im in cedar city, waiting to see what the local honda dealership will tell me tomorrow. we pulled it apart to do a visual inspection and a compression test (which was 100 on both cylinders), and so far we haven't found the problem. now i have to wait for tomorrow, and see what comes from that. im just lucky it broke down relitively close to a town big enough to have a few motorcycle dealerships.

anyways, i for some reason brought my laptop, which im now very thankfull for, so i can waste away the night watch simpsons episodes on hulu, and hope for some good (and inepensive) news tomorrow.
    ^Ted^

Re: the sad end to my trip

you didn't use the green pump did you?!

suck man... hope it's an easy fix.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Is all that luggage on a 250? That's the problem. Your bike got pissed at you!

Hopefully it will be back on the road ASAP.
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

ted that sucks bro hope all works out for you. keep us updated on your trip
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    you didn't use the green pump did you?!

suck man... hope it's an easy fix.
    lol, no

Thanks chad.

PS, the luggage weighs less than riding two up, so i don't see it as a problem.
    ^Ted^

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thatmofo View Post
    Is all that luggage on a 250? That's the problem. Your bike got pissed at you!
    ^^^^
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Oh no!! Best of luck with everything and keep us up to date darlin'!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Major Bummer Ted. Kinda glad I couldn't come along or you might be riding bitch on mine. She's been a good bike for ya tho, now she needs a little TLC, that's all. Good Luck.

Lol has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

Why is a school zone 20 mph? That seems like the optimal cruising speed for pedophiles...

R.I.P. Les Paul

check for pinched vac and/or vent lines...had that stall a bike out on the road a while back

good luck with it!

Umm yeah, what he said. Pop the fuel cap, if it has a hissing sound then the vent is plugged.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Good luck. Hope everything works out...

You didn't try that NOS energy drink too??? Say it aint sooooo!!!

Nah, but, best of luck man! I threw a chain and ate up my crankcase passing through Yuma, AZ. Holy crap, was that a shit hole? And it was about 110 degrees out n the desert and a 2.5 mile walk with all my gear, tail and tank packs filled up..... Your ride looks wayyyy better.

Hope you get some great news in the morning.
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Hopefully it's something easy and you're not far away. I got a flat 125 miles from Fairbanks. Fortunately I got a lift into town but it wasn't a cheap tow.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

5Lb NOS bottle on the rear there?

KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post

Nah, spare gas tank. When you're on a 500 mile highway and the one gas station half way _may_ or _may_ not be open, you learn to carry some spare gas with you.

And it helped on the trip to Alaska. There were a couple of spots where I needed the extra couple of gallons.

Carl

Hey, that's pretty nifty.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

It gives me (when full) about a 460 mile range under normal conditions and up to 520 miles if I baby the bike

Carl

That sucks man! I hope it works out for ya.

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

DM,
    So, was your sidewall cut? I guess I dont understand how you could not go through all that extra fuel tank addons, and not carry stuff to fix a flat.
    Even trips around Colorado I carry everything I need to fix a common puncture so I dont get stranded and have to pay a tow bill for a simple flat. Wierd.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    DM,
    So, was your sidewall cut? I guess I dont understand how you could not go through all that extra fuel tank addons, and not carry stuff to fix a flat.
    Even trips around Colorado I carry everything I need to fix a common puncture so I dont get stranded and have to pay a tow bill for a simple flat. Wierd.
    I actually was carrying the stuff around to fix a flat. I even used it once so I know I'm able to repair punctures. The main problem wasn't a nail, but that I'd run over something like a rebar or something else with about a half inch diameter as I had a hole in the tire I could fit my little finger in.

I did stuff some strings into the puncture to see if it would work but it wouldn't hold air.

One problem I discovered was that I was using one of the air hose from heads to tire kits. Unfortunately the hole in the head was too small to fit the adapter for the hose. The one thing I hadn't checked before (I'm a dumb ass for that trick). Nothing like getting the bike apart and the spark plug out only to discover the hose doesn't fit.

I'll have a more appropriate kit before leaving for my next trip

Carl

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

That sucks, Yea the large holes can be a bitch to fill. I carry two packs of the plugs in case I need to combine then to try and fill the hole.I have acually stuffed a tire full of grass before to get home once just to keep it on the bead on my DS bike once. Definatly dont like that experiance.
    Sometimes the road wins for sure.
    Bash
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

The tow truck driver said that he'd put several strings into a tire in order to get it to hold air (and he drove the big rigs). I hadn't thought of that but I will keep it in mind. I'll be getting several packets of string and maybe even a couple of semi-truck strings in case of next time

Carl

So, its official. The engine is shot. It looks like i ran it low on oil and i shot a bearing. Anyways, a good friend is headed to get me with a dodge cummins flatbed, so i should be back in fort collins tonight.

Anyone have a spare ninja 250 engine they'll sell?
    ^Ted^

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post

Nah, energy drink

Ted, sorry to hear man...

For what it's worth though, you can probby pick up one of those fairly cheap at a good salvage shop or even just find a crashed one on craigslist or ebay
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]