Thread: riding keeps you young

Lightbulb riding keeps you young

Motorcycles help keep you young: software expert March 4, 2009
    Riding motorcycles helps keep drivers young by invigorating their brains, the scientist behind popular "Brain Training" computer software said Wednesday, citing a new scientific study.
    "The driver's brain gets activated by riding motorbikes" in part because it requires heightened alertness, Ryuta Kawashima said after his research team and Yamaha Motor conducted a string of experiments involving middle-aged men.
    "In a convenient and easy environment, the human mind and body get used to setting the hurdle low," he warned. "Our final conclusion is that riding motorcycles can lead to smart ageing."
    Kawashima is the designer of "Brain Training" software, which incorporates quizzes and other games and is available on the Nintendo DS game console under the name "Brain Age" in North America.
    A self-professed motorcycle fan, 49-year-old Kawashima cited a new study conducted jointly by Yamaha and Tohoku University, for which he works.
    One experiment involved 22 men, all in their 40s and 50s, who held motorcycle licences but had not taken a ride for at least a decade.
    They were randomly split into two groups -- one asked to resume riding motorcycles in everyday life for two months, and another that kept using bicycles or cars.
    "The group that rode motorbikes posted higher marks in cognitive function tests," Kawashima said.
    In one test, which required the men to remember a set of numbers in reverse order, the riders' scores jumped by more than 50 percent in two months, while the non-riders' marks deteriorated slightly, he said.
    The riders also said they made fewer mistakes at work and felt happier.
    "Mental care is a very big issue in modern society," said Kawashima. "I think we made an interesting stir here as data showed you can improve your mental condition simply by using motorbikes to commute."

© 2009 AFP
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Re: riding keeps you young

I should share this with the chic who told me that she was going to quit riding because she was afraid that wearing a helmet and all the gear would give her wrinkles.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsTonic View Post
    I should share this with the chic who told me that she was going to quit riding because she was afraid that wearing a helmet and all the gear would give her wrinkles.
    lol...wow...just wow.

I think we all can attest to the feel-good'ness of riding. The lack of wrinkles is more because of my extra porkiness, but that hasn't kept me from continuing to ride. More gray hairs also is just a part of my body aging, but brain function? Now, that's a different story. Like the article mentions, it's a brain thing.

You should share the article with her.
    Last edited by mtnairlover; Mon Jun 1st, 2009 at 10:57 AM.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

The only wrinkles you can get from riding are the ones around your smile. Well.. that and the pruning from getting caught riding in a rainstorm.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Hell yeah it does. I was attending a track day and Doug Polen was there conducting his riding school. He had a guy in his class who rolled up in a mercedes van and unloaded two brand new TRICKED out 1198. I went over there and talked with him. His name was John. he was in his late 50's early 60's and he ripped. Flew by my ass. So smooth. He said he and Doug raced in the championship way back when. When he and Doug hit the track, IT was great seeing them real EVERY ONE in. He would come back in the pits, take off his helmet, and be grinning ear to ear flashing me a thumbs up. My dad 58, rides a Busa cross country and is not afraid to do back to nack 1,000mi days. Kid at heart, and can party like he is still 18. The majority of people I ride with are older, there outlook on riding, is fantastic. Have to respect the Old Skool
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Mon Jun 1st, 2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Old Skool
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

I'm going to give this article to my kids....especially my daughter whose comment to me was this..."This is the WORST midlife crisis EVER!!!!"

"....dumb.....arrogant......condescending..... .
    lunatic.....douche....limited.....nut-case...."

oh...and from PMs "dumb broad".

"Posted by chanke4252"

Quote Originally Posted by SaShWhO View Post
    ..."Mental care is a very big issue in modern society," said Kawashima.... "
    It is a big deal, and I want you all to know. I do care.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsTonic View Post

Don't. The girls on this site have likle the best dude to chick ratio ever. Of course most of us are taken, or helpless losers, sociallly inept freaks, prostitutes, ugly, or all of the above but thats not the piont
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Ya thanks for calling my single ass out in your post Mental. Why do I have to be freaking all the above.

But anyway how many times is this going to be reposted?
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    It is a big deal, and I want you all to know. I do care.

Don't. The girls on this site have likle the best dude to chick ratio ever. Of course most of us are taken, or helpless losers, sociallly inept freaks, prostitutes, ugly, or all of the above but thats not the piont
    Yea I haven't decided if that ratio is a good thing or a bad thing.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F