Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone actually ride at The Pace?

Re: Does anyone actually ride at The Pace?

The pace is more about riding to a percentage of your abilities and less about adhering to speed limits. Most of the crew I ride with top out at about 60% of their abilities on the street. That's not to say that they're slow by any means. Some of the folks in the group are faster and cleaner than I'll ever be and I really only see them at major turns in the routes and when we stop. I'm a big fan of engine braking, staying in a low gear on street corners, and picking an entry speed I'm comfortable with. I'd much rather come out of a corner going "I can speed that entry up next time" rather than hitting the apex going "Shit! That was WAAAAAY to fast in..."

I was riding with someone new over the weekend and one of the things I told them was not to watch for my brake lights b/c I try not to get on the brakes going into a corner.

The other reason you're hearing about folks getting popped for speeding, etc. is because it's the major event of the ride when it happens. Most rides go off without a hitch or without any trouble so you never hear about them. Only a small percentage of the rides I've heard of involve close encounters with phsyics or law enforcement.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I think you will find that people's idea of "spirited" will vary from person to person and small group to small group. I've ridden with a small group where one person said, "And you call that taking it easy?..." even though I was taking it easy. I've also ridden in small groups where their "taking it easy" was my really quick. So, it all depends.

The one thing that is a constant in all of the rides I've been on though, has been the "Pace" mentality. I rarely hit the brakes, unless I think I'm getting too close to the person in front of me in a corner. Going too fast in the straights to me, is hitting 90+mph. I can do 90mph on wide sweepers, but more than that, and I think I'm pushing myself too much and just being more like an ass than anything.

Even though I ride the Pace, I too, have gotten pulled over. Didn't get a ticket, but got a nice long speech by our favorite, Officer Robinson on hwy7 last year. Was doing 68 in a corner and in a 40mph zone (maybe a 35mph corner). I was sort of off the bike a tad and he was coming around a rock wall in mid-corner. I don't think it was his radar that got me, just his judgment. Anyway, so that's my spirited. And I know for darn sure that there are others here who ride much more quickly up and down hwy7 than I do.

Oh and even though I've mentioned speeds, I only mention them because I do look on occasion...only to get an idea of what my bike sounds like at certain rpm's, in certain gears, at certain speeds.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

+1 MetaLord_9

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Even though I ride the Pace, I too, have gotten pulled over. Didn't get a ticket, but got a nice long speech by our favorite, Officer Robinson on hwy7 last year. Was doing 68 in a corner and in a 40mph zone (maybe a 35mph corner). I was sort of off the bike a tad and he was coming around a rock wall in mid-corner. I don't think it was his radar that got me, just his judgment. Anyway, so that's my spirited. And I know for darn sure that there are others here who ride much more quickly up and down hwy7 than I do.

Oh and even though I've mentioned speeds, I only mention them because I do look on occasion...only to get an idea of what my bike sounds like at certain rpm's, in certain gears, at certain speeds.
    You were just warming up Officer Robinson for us... devil woman!
    .. yeah.. busted in a corner going 20+ over .. on a slower day... ....
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

my skills have deteriorated over the years due to crashes and watching others crash and die.
    I pretty much try to ride the pace, though, I've developed the nasty habit of taping my brake to "set my entry speed" regardless of what speed I'm coming in at (eg betr will vouch for this and I believe he's referring to me as one of those annoying peeps).
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

I'm with Metalord...

On the several group rides I've been on, I pretty much ride at the pace of the front 4 or 5 riders. Unless they are really ballin' through the canyons, I really haven't needed to grab the brake to scrub speed entering turns. When I'm riding solo (or leading), I usually ride up and around The Pace, but never commit hard to blind curves. I never cross the lane divider unless to pass.

Also, I take a different corner line on the street than on the track. I'll stay on the outside of the lane through a turn until I can see the exit, then I'll hit the apex of the turn. It gives more time to react to anything in the road.
    -Ryan

I'm starting to pick up on this whole pace thing. I've come to realize coming into corners so hot isn't the way to go. When you can learn to control with engine and gearing only, it's so much less effort.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    You were just warming up Officer Robinson for us... devil woman!
    .. yeah.. busted in a corner going 20+ over .. on a slower day... ....
    That was one of my happier days riding in the canyon....althoooo...I think I like it better when I can get to the bottom of the canyon without hitting traffic, and without seeing any law enforcement.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

without seeing any law enforcement.
    That is soooo rare nowadays...
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

I rarely use my brakes except for the sharpest of corners. Even on routes like the Deer Creek High Grade I use engine breaking for those switch-backs and try to be smooth throughout.

I'm with Chris, it's a much better feeling to say "I can do that faster", than "Shit, that was too fast, and I need to change my pants."

To me, Canyon Riding is about letting go of the rest of the B.S. that fills our lives on a daily basis. If I keep a healthy pace I don't have to concern myself (that much) with law enforcement or being in way over my head in a corner when gravel pops up or other assorted hazards. When I ride the canyons I feel myself relax and let go just a bit.

Some folks get a rush out of going as fast as they can, but I bet you they aren't having as much fun as I am.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    I rarely use my brakes except for the sharpest of corners. Even on routes like the Deer Creek High Grade I use engine breaking for those switch-backs and try to be smooth throughout.

I'm with Chris, it's a much better feeling to say "I can do that faster", than "Shit, that was too fast, and I need to change my pants."

To me, Canyon Riding is about letting go of the rest of the B.S. that fills our lives on a daily basis. If I keep a healthy pace I don't have to concern myself (that much) with law enforcement or being in way over my head in a corner when gravel pops up or other assorted hazards. When I ride the canyons I feel myself relax and let go just a bit.

Some folks get a rush out of going as fast as they can, but I bet you they aren't having as much fun as I am.
    +1 - I couldn't have said it better myself.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Pace rider here...all about smooth and flow in the canyons for me.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I think you will find that people's idea of "spirited" will vary from person to person and small group to small group. I've ridden with a small group where one person said, "And you call that taking it easy?..." even though I was taking it easy. I've also ridden in small groups where their "taking it easy" was my really quick. So, it all depends.
    *raises hand* - I remember that ride, one of the better rides I've ever been on.

I generally don't particularly enjoy hauling ass down straights. In fact, I go at most 5-10 over on straights in the canyons. Definitely can't say the same about corners.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

I don't ride

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    *raises hand* - I remember that ride, one of the better rides I've ever been on.

I generally don't particularly enjoy hauling ass down straights. In fact, I go at most 5-10 over on straights in the canyons. Definitely can't say the same about corners.
    You will have to join me on a ride again when you get back from MD. Be prepared for a long day, cuz I like the all-day trips filled with awesome roads, scenery and great riding buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I don't ride
    +1

You will have to join me on a ride again when you get back from MD. Be prepared for a long day, cuz I like the all-day trips filled with awesome roads, scenery and great riding buddies.
    +1 Soon as the weather pattern breaks I think some long day trips are in order. Gotta bag some high passes.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I ride like a scared little girl, on tires that are so square the bike will stand up by itself. With my helmet on backwards. At 35 mph down the interstate. Canyons are scary, because of those corner things. I usually stop the bike and get off it and push it carefully around corners, because leaning is scary.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I don't ride
    Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I ride like a scared little girl, on tires that are so square the bike will stand up by itself. With my helmet on backwards. At 35 mph down the interstate. Canyons are scary, because of those corner things. I usually stop the bike and get off it and push it carefully around corners, because leaning is scary.
    LOL!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Don't tell anyone --- I trailered my bike to Miller this past weekend.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I have not ridden "the Pace" on the street ever since I have hopped on the track. Even going "the pace" on the street, does not compare to going "the pace" on the track. I trust very few people to go " a pace" with on the street. My Touring tires are more than capable of keeping up with "a pace" on the street. Maybe not a knee dragging pace, but a comfy pace. I agree with you saying that their are alot of people wearing sticky rubber and paying good money for them with inch strips on the side, and how it looks kind of wierd. But oh well, get them in a good enviornment and those strips will deminish. Not everyone has the balls/ lack of brains to rock and roll on the street.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!