Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of I25 & US36.

Board Newbie

Fear of I25 & US36.

I've been riding for about a month now. I have never ridden before and have just started to get comfortable commuting via Wadsworth Pkwy.

It would be a quicker to take I25 & US36, but those roads both frighten me. First and foremost the traffic behavior, secondly taking even the sweeping curves at higher speeds (50mph+).

I will continue to use Wads for the time being, but I would like to work on getting comfortable on roads like I25 & US36. I was hoping there might be words of wisdom available here.

I'm not sure it is significant, but I am riding a Suzuki SV650.

Thanks.

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Re: Fear of I25 & US36.

Hey Marc,

If you've only been riding a month, don't feel bad about being scared of riding certain roads - especially the major highways with all the brain dead cagers riding next to you. Fear is healthy. Stick to the roads you're comfortable with and keep practicing. Find roads where there is less traffic and get some miles and time under your belt.

Always ride defensively, as if everyone is out to kill you. That attitude will keep you aware of what everyone around you is doing and will save your ass. Knowing what's going on around you, both near and far, and being able to predict what other drivers will do is one of the most important skills you can master.

Have you taken the MSF course? If not, do it as soon as you can. It will teach you many good habits. As you become a better and better rider, keep educating yourself. Take the experienced rider course, take a track school that's geared towards street riders, read books, watch videos, etc. The more you know and the more you practice, the more comfortable you'll be in various traffic situations.

And most importantly, have fun!

By the way, you chose an excellent bike to learn on. Twins are "easier" to ride than 4 bangers. They have a more user-friendly torque curve. The SV in particular is a great little bike.

+1 with GuitarX...I have only been riding for six months. My second day on a bike, I was forced to take I25 from Thornton to Parker. I remember being in the slow lane and feeling like I must of been flying, but only going 55. Mini vans were passing me, it was horrible. But its just a matter of getting out there and getting over that fear. Never ride beyond your limits though and dont ever get discouraged. Once you get on the highway, just stay in the slow lane, people will pass you if they want to get around you. Dont panic while you are out there and stay relaxed when riding. If you get too unerved while on the highway for the first time, just get off on the next exit. Trust me, after you practice enough on the highways, you will be a used to them and then its on to learning the canyons!! Good luck out there and stay safe
    For My Diavan

+1 with guitar. You dont wanna push yourself into doing something you fear while your on your bike too soon cause lets face it, Motorcycle + New Rider + Fear = bad news. Get use to riding the bike itself first and then worry about upping to another more busy road etc. These bikes get great gas mileage so i dont think a quicker route is a big problem right now.

Another thing i would suggest is trying to get in on the next noob ride if you can, it helps alot of people to ride with other riders and get use to the road. For me i always seen it as easier riding with someone else that isn't a dipshit but a respectful rider that will make you feel more comfortable while you ride. Once you feel comfortable on your bike you will soon realize it will be alot easier to do more thing.

Just be safe, alot of down riders already this year and we dont need anymore.

Just remember, ride your own ride
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Good advice Gx. Give a lower volume hwy like 285 west a try when you're ready. And unless you are entering or exiting, the right lane is not a good lane to hang out in on I-25 (esp where it is 3/4 lane wide).
    Last edited by FZRguy; Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 at 01:28 AM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

On a day off or something, go ride that route at 2 in the mornring so you can get up to speed.

Honestly traffic on the freeway is as bad as traffic on the surface streets. Sometimes there is just a little bit more of it.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Hey Marc!
    Glad to see ya finally joined us!!!
    I agree with what everybody has said... just keep it to what you feel is an appropriate level for yourself and keep riding. The skills and confidence will build over time. Like I've told ya before, I know a great route for you - so just email me and we can work on some easy curves to get ya comfortable on 'em!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceez View Post
    Once you get on the highway, just stay in the slow lane, people will pass you if they want to get around you.
    That's a pretty dangerous plan.

If you aren't ready for the highway, stay off it. Keep doing what you are doing and wait until you are more confident.

Just going off of what I did. I guess I am more of a...you are never gonna learn until you do it type of guy.
    For My Diavan

Quote Originally Posted by Ceez View Post
    Just going off of what I did. I guess I am more of a...you are never gonna learn until you do it type of guy.
    No offense intended. I just feel the right lane is the most heinous spot you can be on the interstate. People coming on the highway, people going off, people realizing at the last minute they need to cut across three lanes and exit. There is just a lot more for your brain to process, and for a noob that could mean overload. Everyone is different.

No worries, no offense taken, I totally hear what you are saying and you bring up a valid point. Thats the great thing about these forums...its all about everyone trying to help each other out!!
    For My Diavan

Find a Sunday morning, or some low-volume time on the weekend. Get onto I-25 and ride for one or two exits, before turning off. Get used to how easily the SV will get up to speed. Get comfortable with filtering in traffic and changing lanes. Get comfortable with cagers merging on and off at ramps. If you spend any time on the slab, that's the worst areas as folks WILL try to merge into you or cut you off. Pretty soon you'll be able to ride it with the best of em.

Even though I can do it when I have to, I still try to avoid I-25 during the peak of rush hours, and I've been riding 7 years now.
    Last edited by asp_125; Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 at 07:43 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

These guys all have valid points!

Take your time & enjoy your time on the bike on the way to & from work. Once you start taking the highway, it'll become more of a commute and less of a ride. We've all been scared of the highway, just like you and eventually we were forced to get over it and you'll get there too. What will help are the following:

- Stay off of the highway until you feel ready for it. Make sure you're comfortable riding the bike & operating all the controls at speed so that if you have to make a quick correction, your muscle memory remembers that the brake is on the right side and the shifter's on the left.

- When you're ready, it wouldn't hurt to have a couple experienced riders with you in front & back of you to kind form a bubble around you & keep complete idiots from blundering into you.

- No matter what, always ride within your limits. If you're riding at 100% of your abilities and something comes up in the road or falls off the back of a truck or whatever and you're riding at 100%, there's no margin of error left & no extra skills to spare to get your butt out of the jam. Ride comfortably, but feel free to push your comfort level every once in awhile too, it'll make you a better rider!

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I spent a good 2-3 weeks riding surface streets to work before I started taking the highway.

Did you take the MSF class? If not, you should get in there. A lot of what you learn in there will prepare you for all those situations.

Sweeping curves at 50+? It takes time, but now I only fear sweeping curves at 120+.

Good luck! Practice makes perfect
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

~BaRned~

Just grab the front brake as HARD as you can, After that you'll be a Pro.

Another tip. I always ride very close to the lane lines to stay in the mirror view of both lanes. This also gives you a VERY clear view of all the cars in front of you. If traffic comes to a quick stop, you're already in a good spot to not get rear ended, and be able to split between cars if you can't stop quickly enough.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

AKA "Devaclis"

Marc, you are already riding on a pretty busy road. The thing that may be getting to you is the sensation of speed. It is normal. Get some certified instruction, find a GOOD group of SAFE riders to ride around with and progress at your own pace. You can't learn everything by yourself. Having good people to help you is a great boon and will get your confidence and skill level up at a rate you can handle. If you want, I can meet you and take you out for some nice tame rides and possibly help you out.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

~BaRned~

Yeah Marc go ride with DK74..... I heard had a good time with a NOOB last weekend.

It's not worth it until your ready. There is too much to think about with the controls and watching the cars around you to be out there until your comfortable.

Good advice everyone!

That being said, the Interstate may be one of the safer places to ride, as the traffic is mostly going in the same direction most of the time. Be aware of other people's blind spots, and stay out of them. Look where you want to go, because you'll go where you look. I find that normally, riding a little faster than prevailing traffic speed is safer than being slower. Learn to use the bike's strengths (size, acceleration, and agility) to your advantage to avoid possible hazards. Take some rides with experienced riders that have the patience and ability to help teach you. If you can learn to anticipate the movements of the cars around you, you dramatically reduce the chances of a collision. Watch for body language(did the guy on the cell check his mirror, but not turn to look out his window? ), vehicle movement, traffic ahead (Brake lights?). Work on expanding your awareness, using your peripheral vision.

Crap... I sound like a Zen master...

Anywho.... I've been riding for 25 years, and managed to survive and learn some of these things....still learning with every ride
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

AKA "Devaclis"

^^ Good advice "Almost everyone"

Troy can go pilot an Air France jet from Brazil with his comments.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy.N View Post
    Just grab the front brake as HARD as you can, After that you'll be a Pro.
    Oh, yeah, Marc, when you're on this forum...don't forget the salt!

Lots and lots of salt.

Board Newbie

Thanks to all for the advice.

I took the ABATE course before getting on any bike. I'm also all armored up.

I did try 36 & 25 from Sheridan to 20th last night around 11pm. A wanker in a pickup felt the need to tail gate me for a few miles. (He had a "Bad Guy" decal on the back window.)

The sweeping turn off from 36 to 25 is still unsure for me -- I could feel the bike drifting left. I think I'll keep chipping away, and look forward to the next noob ride.

Thanks again.

another option is get out of denver for a weekend and go up north and ride.. its alot less traffic and crap and you can get use to riding a little bit easier.. I wouldn't want to be learning how to ride for the first time in denver.. I have riden for years and still dont care to ride in denver
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen