Thread: Looking for feedback - Deckers, Cripple Creek

Looking for feedback - Deckers, Cripple Creek

Hey there,

I am coming from the North end of the state, and I am looking for some feedback regarding the Southern area in the Deckers and Cripple Creek area.
    Specifically ...
    How are the road conditions at this point (Construction, gravel, etc.)?
    Are there any common areas for the local tax collector to hand out coupons?
    Are there any points of interest that I might want to check out?
    Are there any recommendations on where I might want to have lunch in the area?

Any additional information is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Looking for feedback - Deckers, Cripple Creek

Deckers roads are all great, few dirty patches south of Horsepowerhill but that's about it. Only piggy I saw was helping a crashed Harley rider.

I dont know if went the wrong way or took a wrong road. But if you are taking 67 from deckers to I25, it turns into dirt for about 4 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by leadbedr View Post
    I dont know if went the wrong way or took a wrong road. But if you are taking 67 from deckers to I25, it turns into dirt for about 4 miles.
    What is this 4 miles of dirt I keep hearing about. Someone said I missed a turn I was on dirt for 9 miles.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by d3spair View Post
    Deckers roads are all great, few dirty patches south of Horsepowerhill but that's about it. Only piggy I saw was helping a crashed Harley rider.
    The only piggy I saw around Deckers was the one with his emergency lights on tailgaiting me. When I sped up, he sped up ...it was weird. Then I pulled over and got a lecture, a FAT fine, and something about points on my license.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

The often talked about dirt road is part of 67 between Deckers and Sedalia, a section known as nighthawk hill. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=decker...12,119.94,,0,5

Further east on S Platte there is another dirt road that meets up with 67, Pine Creek Rd
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=decker...=12,91.93,,0,5

In short, son y'all can't get there from here.

The "normal" way is from Pine Junction on 285 to Deckers and south to Woodland Park. Jo Mama's restaurant in Woodland Park has a great meatball sub!

67 from Woodland Park to Cripple Creek and Victor is a nice ride, but again there is no paved route south out of there towards Canon City; just dirt roads.

Oh yeah, the proprietor of the little fly fishing store in Deckers doesn't like us bikers parking in front of his store. One of these days I think I'll show up with my fishing pole and walk in, pretending to spend money, and then walk out.
    Last edited by asp_125; Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 at 04:47 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

ive spoke to this proprietor. hes a nice guy. i fish also and ride up there on my twin. ive never had a issue with him not liking bikes?
    the roads great just ride it cautiously.

We rode 67 from Divide to the turn off to Victor (Lazy S Ranch Road), it has several work areas. There's probably 10 miles of fresh chip seal.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    The often talked about dirt road is part of 67 between Deckers and Sedalia, a section known as nighthawk hill. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=decker...12,119.94,,0,5

Further east on S Platte there is another dirt road that meets up with 67, Pine Creek Rd
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=decker...=12,91.93,,0,5

In short, son y'all can't get there from here.

The "normal" way is from Pine Junction on 285 to Deckers and south to Woodland Park. Jo Mama's restaurant in Woodland Park has a great meatball sub!

67 from Woodland Park to Cripple Creek and Victor is a nice ride, but again there is no paved route south out of there towards Canon City; just dirt roads.

Oh yeah, the proprietor of the little fly fishing store in Deckers doesn't like us bikers parking in front of his store. One of these days I think I'll show up with my fishing pole and walk in, pretending to spend money, and then walk out.

I didnt see either of those dirt roads.
    I took 67 from sadelia went about 20 miles, and then it turned into a fork in the road, both ways dirt. One went up to a neighborhood, the other said 15% downgrade. SO i just turned around.
    There was a little restaurant/bar there. And a bunch of guys on dirt bikes heading off into trails.

the other said 15% downgrade. SO i just turned around.
    That's the one.

Just gotta learn to drift the corners cause the washboard gets boring

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post

There is a paved route out of Cripple Creek down to Canyon City,
    but I will have to kill you if I told you where it is.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    There is a paved route out of Cripple Creek down to Canyon City,
    but I will have to kill you if I told you where it is.
    Sure is. Rode it 10 days ago. Nice road. Even has free range cattle there so you can play a little bit of frogger with them.

John

Quote Originally Posted by leadbedr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    What is this 4 miles of dirt I keep hearing about. Someone said I missed a turn I was on dirt for 9 miles.
    Tipys,

It's pretty freakin steep man. I did a ride several years ago with a bunch of guys. We took 105 out of Palmer Lake, ended up on Hwy 67, which takes you to the Sprucewood Inn(I think it was called). And from there it's a super steep dirt road for about 4 miles or so. Dumps you right out onto Hwy 67 just North of Deckers. Once you're on that section, it's real twisty and fun. I'll never forget that ride, because we managed to go around this gigantic thunderstorm the whole trip. It was actually pretty cool, going around it and then coming back into Woodland Park and then the Springs.

I'd recommend not taking the steep hill, but that part of 67 is nice for all the twisties.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Sounds like I'll be hittin the dirt roads with a quickness as soon as I get my bike! Any other takers?

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Tipys,

It's pretty freakin steep man. I did a ride several years ago with a bunch of guys. We took 105 out of Palmer Lake, ended up on Hwy 67, which takes you to the Sprucewood Inn(I think it was called). And from there it's a super steep dirt road for about 4 miles or so. Dumps you right out onto Hwy 67 just North of Deckers. Once you're on that section, it's real twisty and fun. I'll never forget that ride, because we managed to go around this gigantic thunderstorm the whole trip. It was actually pretty cool, going around it and then coming back into Woodland Park and then the Springs.

I'd recommend not taking the steep hill, but that part of 67 is nice for all the twisties.

There were alot of steep parts in the 9 miles on dirt we ended up on.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    There were alot of steep parts in the 9 miles on dirt we ended up on.
    yeah you may have been on a different section of road than I'm thinkin. Cause I only remember the dirt road being about 3 or 4 miles at best. It goes by fast but ultra steep in some spots.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."