Thread: Short jaunt - northside I-70

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Short jaunt - northside I-70

Well, actually not quite that short...more like 440 miles RT for me...not sure about asp_125. What a day, though!!!

I have no idea how my finger got in the way. Funny side note...that rock is called "Finger Rock"

Here's what we ended up doing...

Ok...well yeah...part of the route went on the southside of I70, but it was worth it...

I think Jeff fell and he couldn't get up (or something to that effect)...

I've never been under that bridge, always over and always wanted to stop...bout time! Some of the scenery along this road (along many of the roads) is breathtaking. All along this part of the ride, there are sharp drop offs to the river below. Taking the little road that goes under that bridge to Red Cliffe was worth the detour.

Part of this road ends up becoming the 10th Mountain Division Scenic Hwy (or Memorial Hwy). Either way, if you've never been, there's a spot before this sign that opens up into a huge valley where the military camp was located. Nothing there anymore, but it's a beautiful area.

Yep, good times....good times. Thanks, Jeff.
    Last edited by mtnairlover; Sat Jul 11th, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Re: Short jaunt - northside I-70

looks like fun! great pics too!

Yep, was lotsa fun. Kinda bittersweet though, considering some of the other news on the forum today. :-(

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

great pics look like a good day for riding
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Thanks for showing me some new roads Cathy! Berthoud Pass is too much fun to be legal That stretch of high speed sweepers on 131 was most excellent. Yep, good times with a good friend. Even the rain shower didn't dampen our spirits. And how bout that bike parking on Fremont pass?

ps- after the Chicken Fried Steak at the Turntable I needed a nap at the bridge

pps- Finger Rock, for those who don't know, is the core of an ancient volcano. The softer cone eroded away leaving the central column of basalt standing.
    Last edited by asp_125; Sun Jul 12th, 2009 at 06:43 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Nice pix, Jeff!

I forgot about those pix by the M-something Mine. Darned if I can't figure out how to spell that name...lol. I'll have to go back to my cell phone to find those and upload to my library.

Yeah, I was wondering how satisfied you were after that yummy lunch/breakfast. Taking hwy131 right before made for a good hunger for some good eats. That road really is a nice ride. Plus, the landscape sure does change in that area...kinda arid and lots of red.

Edit: Found it! molybdenum - a silver-white metallic element, used as an alloy with iron in making hard, high-speed cutting tools
    Last edited by mtnairlover; Sun Jul 12th, 2009 at 07:21 AM.

great pixs!!
    I want to do that same route, but overnight it in stramboat,
    maybe this fall??
    When I die I want to go to Heaven, just don't want to do it real soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTIAN COWBOY View Post
    great pixs!!
    maybe this fall??
    I hear talk about something overnight. I think the route might be a tad different, but we'll have to talk more if you would like to get a small group going.

ya thanx for the pictures during the day... lol. glad ya'll had fun. next time for sure.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTIAN COWBOY View Post
    great pixs!!
    maybe this fall??
    Fo sho! I was mentioning to Cathy that the Grand Mesa, Cottonwood Pass area might be a nice overnighter. Now that you mention it too, timing it for the aspens would be perfect.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Sounds like a great way to ride and enjoy the scenery. I've not been along the road by Grand Mesa, but it's on the list. It looks really nice on a map and I'd love to see it up close and personal. The other roads along that route are just as enjoyable and the scenery is well worth the trip.