Thread: 748 Duc questions

748 Duc questions

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes...

I'm seriously thinking about switching from a cruiser ('01 Vic) to a sportbike. I have always loved the look of the Ducatis and have been watching the ads on Craigslist. There have been what seems to me some pretty good prices lately on 748's. I am 40, 5'10" and could definitely stand to lose a few pounds. Just how comfortable would one of these be for me as a daily driver? Would I be crazy to even think about multi-hour rides on one? How expensive is maintenance?

Thanks for any answers you can give me on this!

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: 748 Duc questions

Hit up Peter here, PETEREMSLEY is his SN. He commutes on his awesome, yellow, foxy, badass, 748
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

In my experience, most Ducati supersport bikes feel like you need long arms to reach the bars. They lay you over the tank moreso than Japanese bikes. (Except the reviews of the new Streetfighter, which has a shorter reach). I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and my 750 put a lot of weight over my wrists, I still did 300mi weekends on it with the help of ibuprofen. For a while it was my daily ride to work (40mi one way).

Early 748's are nice bikes, without the "love it hate it" Terreblanche styling. They are really stable in fast corners, and the desmodue motor is not terribly expensive to maintain. Find one with a good maintenance history and up to date servicing, even if that means paying a bit more up front, it's worth it.

There are faster bikes for the money, there are more practical/comfortable bikes in that category. But nothing compares to the visceral and audible symphony of a dry clutch and a pair of Termignonis at full song.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Switching to a sportbike will definatley be a new thing for your back! That said, I commute on my bike all the time and I don't have any back problems. In fact, if your back starts hurting, strengthening your core will go a long way towards helping that & allowing you to lose a few pounds too!

Maintenance is gonna be different for every bike. Like a car, there's a lot you can do on your own, but there's also a good amount of stuff that you'll just need a shop to work on. I've never owned one myself, so get a second opinion on this, but I've heard Ducatis are notoriously expensive to work on and maintain. I've heard that the amount of work you're able to do on your own is a lot shorter of a list and that the service intervals are much more frequent than they are on a Japanese sportbike. That said, Duc's are much better looking machines for sure!

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Daily commuter, multi-hour rides in comfort, but sporty? You might seriously consider something like this:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1267795942.html

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I knew that was a VFR before I even clicked on the link...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    It's the bike for people who are honest with themselves about what they need in a one.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I just switched from a sportbike (Suzuki TL1000S) to a Ducati S4R. I rode the TL from Tex-ass back to Colorado (~800 miles) and I've ridden the S4R from Salt Lake City to Denver (~500 miles). Riding long distances on a sportbike definitely took a greater toll on my back in comparison. I chose to get the S4R because it has a superbike engine (more power and torque than my TL) with a more upright stance which made it easier to ride for long distances.

My wife has a Duc 750 Sport (thanks to asp_125) but has realized that she hates the body positioning of it. She decided she preferred the positioning of the Monster and just bought an S4RS.

RIP Gene
    07 Ducati Monster S4R Testastretta
    97 Suzuki TL1000S - SOLD
    92 Yamaha FZR600 - R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by PiercedTL View Post
    My wife has a Duc 750 Sport (thanks to asp_125) but has realized that she hates the body positioning of it. She decided she preferred the positioning of the Monster and just bought an S4RS.
    I didn't make that connection..

I wondered what became of that bike. A couple times I thought I'd like it back as a track bike and then I remember the riding position and that thought goes away. Congrats on her new toy.
    Last edited by asp_125; Thu Jul 16th, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I wondered what became of that bike. Congrats on her new toy.
    Yep, she definitely loved the extra power in comparison to her old M600. But she hated sitting on it

RIP Gene
    07 Ducati Monster S4R Testastretta
    97 Suzuki TL1000S - SOLD
    92 Yamaha FZR600 - R.I.P.

I'm just over 6' tall and my 748 is pretty comfortable around town by sport bike standards. I do have the ferracci bars on it that are a little higher than stock.

The heat is the worst thing about commuting. The under tail exhaust cooks you at red lights on 90 degree afternoons.

As far as maintenance goes, the 748 is the 4 valve head, not the 2. The 6, 12, 18k etc services are the pricey ones, that include the all critical belts and valve adjustment. I would recommend a bike with history, but if you do buy a bike with little or no service history, I'd change the belts right away. You can do it yourself in a few hours. One common problem to be aware of is the chrome flaking off rocker shafts. It’s quite an expensive fix.

The 2 valve bikes are significantly easier to maintain, and are a lot more do-it-yourself friendly if you are so inclined. I had a 900ss for a while, and it was a very fun bike with pretty similar riding position.

Multi hour rides? I don't think there is a bike much better suited to a day in the canyons. Light, nimble and torquey. I found out the hard way that the fuel tank is too small.

If you haven’t visited yet, there is lots of model specific discussion at www.ducati.ms
    peter emsley - MRA #203

Basically, I need a bike for commuting to work (16 miles each way thru town), and fun riding on the weekends. I want something much more canyon friendly than my Vic. I've always heard of how Ducati's hold the curves and that was the main reason I wanted to check into getting one. I had also considered the SS models, but I have to admit, the 748's are damned good looking. Maintenance cost is a big deal though for me. Thanks for the info and the link, I'll check it out.

I didn't make that connection..

I wondered what became of that bike. A couple times I thought I'd like it back as a track bike and then I remember the riding position and that thought goes away. Congrats on her new toy.
    Hi Jeff! I put a lot into the bike only to find out it wasn't going to work long term for me. Sucks but now I'm on my way to my dream bike. Are you sure you don't want it back?

Any one want a DUC 750 Sport, new tires, maintenance up to date and a new Corbin seat? Cosmetically I've made some improvements but she is still a little banged up from track days...PM if you are interested.
    DUC '07 S4RS
    DUC '01 750 Sport (sold)
    DUC '01 M600 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    Hi Jeff! I put a lot into the bike only to find out it wasn't going to work long term for me. Sucks but now I'm on my way to my dream bike. Are you sure you don't want it back?

Any one want a DUC 750 Sport, new tires, maintenance up to date and a new Corbin seat? Cosmetically I've made some improvements but she is still a little banged up from track days...PM if you are interested.
    LOL.. nope not unless a masseuse is thrown in with the deal. Bump for a good way to get a dedicated track bike, all you Chicane people.
    Last edited by asp_125; Thu Jul 16th, 2009 at 01:35 PM.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Somehow, I was sure too...weird....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

LOL.. nope not unless a masseuse is thrown in with the deal. Bump for a good way to get a dedicated track bike, all you Chicane people.
    It's just not good for old people!
    DUC '07 S4RS
    DUC '01 750 Sport (sold)
    DUC '01 M600 (sold)

I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out....am I too old for a Ducati?

Do you feel old

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by ScottZ View Post
    Basically, I need a bike for commuting to work (16 miles each way thru town), and fun riding on the weekends. I want something much more canyon friendly than my Vic. I've always heard of how Ducati's hold the curves and that was the main reason I wanted to check into getting one. I had also considered the SS models, but I have to admit, the 748's are damned good looking. Maintenance cost is a big deal though for me. Thanks for the info and the link, I'll check it out.

Scott,

I'm a long time Ducati owner, and own a 2001 748 for the street and a 1997 version for the racetrack. I've found my bikes to be reasonably trouble free. I do keep up on my maintenance and work hard to keep the bikes in good shape.

I've been unemployed for 7 months now and times are getting tight. I'm considering selling the streetbike, but want to make sure it goes to a good home. It has 16K miles on it and is in great condition. I had flaking rocker arms at 6K and fixed them with factory supplied parts. The bike has been maintained by me for most work and by Brian Sharp of Boulder Motorsports and Ben Fox of Fox Performance Engines for all of it's major services. I've owned the bike since new. The only mods on the bike are a Termi CF exhaust and a properly mapped chip for the ECU.

If this is something you're interested in I'd be interested in talking to you. If not, I totally understand.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottZ View Post
    I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out....am I too old for a Ducati?
    Do eet! I was over 40 when I got the Duc. It's one of the must do things in life, you never know till you test sit one.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Do you feel old
    I know I do! Hence going back to what's comfortable.

Before you take the plunge you should ride one for an hour or two, your body will let you know if it's mad and your mind will help you decide if it's worth the pain if you have any pain.
    DUC '07 S4RS
    DUC '01 750 Sport (sold)
    DUC '01 M600 (sold)