Thread: Mixing tire compounds

Mixing tire compounds

Why? I know racers sometimes put a hard compound with a soft compound. Is it to get better bite at one end to turn the bike?

What about tire wear? On the street? My front's looking a bit thin and I just got a new rear in May. (Dunlop Roadsmarts). I typically go through two rears for each front on the Gixxer. So I was thinking of putting a softer Qualifier up front next time. Handling feels pretty neutral right now, that I can tell at any rate.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Mixing tire compounds

For me it's all about balancing wear and traction.

I want the most possible traction, but I can only afford one set of tires per race weekend.

That being said, weather, track temperature and track type all play into my decision about tires for a given race day. If the air / track is cooler I may go with softer compounds for that weekend and if it's really hot it's likely I'll choose some harder tires for that weekend. In the end race tires work best at a given temperature and I'll choose compounds to make sure that I can achieve and maintain those temperatures on the track.

For road use, I would say that it's a fair assessment that a modern 600 would go through 2 rear tires for each front. A lot of retailers are offering packages this way these days where you buy three tires instead of two. There are some street tires that mix well, I know the Michelin Pilot Road rear works well with the Pilot Power front and will give you some additional life, but I don't know that I'd do it and here's why. I don't use all of the available traction of good street tires on the street. I rode an R1 at the racetrack this weekend that had good street tires on it (DCIII's ) and went as fast as I had gone on a 600 earlier in the day on race tires. I was leaned WAY over, using the throttle for real and going pretty quickly. WAY faster than I would ever consider riding on the street. That tells me that I don't really need that tire for the street alone. It would be a great tire for combined duty, street and track days.

For full time street use I would probably just go with the modern sport touring tires. Michelin Pilot Road, Dunlop Roadsmart, Diablo Rossa or Strada, Metzeler Z6 are all great tires that will do a fantastic job of lasting a pretty long time and delivering plenty of grip on the pavement. Additionally these tires are all very good in wet conditions, making them a very good choice.

My thoughts.

s

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    For full time street use I would probably just go with the modern sport touring tires. Michelin Pilot Road, Dunlop Roadsmart, Diablo Rossa or Strada, Metzeler Z6 are all great tires that will do a fantastic job of lasting a pretty long time and delivering plenty of grip on the pavement. Additionally these tires are all very good in wet conditions, making them a very good choice.
    +1 to everything Scott said, except that you want the Pilot Road 2 not the Pilot Road for the Michelins. The Road 2 is an awesome tire for the street. Turn-in is a little slower than the Powers but they are sticky, grip very nicely in the rain and have great tread life.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

On my second set of Corsa III's and love the dual compound.
    (Though the Perelli's only have dual compound on the rear.)
    Got half a dozen track days and most of a season of street outta one set.

Probably try a set of the 2CT's next season to compare.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    What about tire wear? On the street?
    Not sure 100% what your asking, but I am on my first set of 2CT's and really enjoy them. Since I'm commuting now, the center is wearing slower/lasting longer, but the sides are the same as the pilot powers. They get plenty of traction all the way to the edge. It might not be my first choice for a track day, but it would still hold up okay.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Not sure 100% what your asking, but I am on my first set of 2CT's and really enjoy them. Since I'm commuting now, the center is wearing slower/lasting longer, but the sides are the same as the pilot powers. They get plenty of traction all the way to the edge. It might not be my first choice for a track day, but it would still hold up okay.
    I want to change brands and give the PR2s a try. But I don't wanna replace the front with a PR2 and have a newish Dunlop rear. So I was thinking of slapping a Qualifier up front so they'd both wear out around the same time.

If I had money to burn I could just throw away the Dunlop and get a full set of PR2s, I suppose. Unless someone wants to buy a single Roadsmart rear.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

2CT's have actually worn rather well for me at the track. Granted, I'm not tearing it up yet, but the tires have handled it nicely.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Gotcha!

Yeah, I know a lot of people suggest staying with the same set. Besides wear patterns, I don't really see why? As long as you watch your tires to see how they wear? I have a pilot power on the front and a 2ct on the back right now. I can't really tell a difference, especially on the street. Plus I'd rather have a stickier front. I don't see any reason why it's a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Gotcha!

Yeah, I know a lot of people suggest staying with the same set. Besides wear patterns, I don't really see why? As long as you watch your tires to see how they wear? I have a pilot power on the front and a 2ct on the back right now. I can't really tell a difference, especially on the street. Plus I'd rather have a stickier front. I don't see any reason why it's a bad idea.
    Sean,

Just curious. How does that combination handle on wet pavement?
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Vess View Post
    Sean,

Just curious. How does that combination handle on wet pavement?
    Seems to work fine. It rained on the way home yesterday and down to bike night last week with good handling. It's a little hard to tell because I ride like a little girl when it rains. Personally, when the front wears, I'll throw a 2CT on. I just put one on the back because I was stuck in Santa Fe, NM and needed a new tire.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Sean, Jim

the pilot power and the PP 2ct share a profile and basic construction. The difference is that the 2 CT has a softer compound on the edges with satndard PP compound in the center. They work great in the rain, in fact I used them ad my rain tires for a couple of seasons at the racetrack.

S

power pilot in rear and a medium race compound up front has worked well for me this season at every level discussed above especially the even wear concern.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    Sean, Jim

the pilot power and the PP 2ct share a profile and basic construction. The difference is that the 2 CT has a softer compound on the edges with satndard PP compound in the center. They work great in the rain, in fact I used them ad my rain tires for a couple of seasons at the racetrack.

S
    ya i don't know why people think the 2CTs are harder in the center than the PP.

Anyways, never used to be a fan of Bridgestones. But the bt016s are awesome.

I have about 1300 miles on them and no signs of wear anywhere. Other than a lil blueing near the side walls.

The rear tire has a triple compund and the front a dual compound. They grip super well and do great in the rain.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).