Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Riding

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Night Riding

...in the canyons...

Don't do it if you don't like not knowing where you're going.

(Can't see that rock wall on the left side of the road, can you?)

Actually, I've been up and down hwy's 36 and 34 so many times, I could do it in my sleep...but...WARNING...it's so different from driving in a car in the canyons at night when you're on your motorcycle.

So, here's the thing...in a car, you have two headlights whose beams will light up the whole canyon wall on both sides as you twist and turn your way through them. But, because you are on 4 wheels, the lights on the canyon walls, never falter all the way through.

On a bike...on 2 wheels, that light beam isn't steady at all. Each turn you take, no matter how much you try not to lean (can't believe I just said that), the beam still moves. I mean, it doesn't stay steady all the way through a turn. So, as you are in a left turn, that beam tilts and continues pointing straight ahead, but does not shine in the direction you are going. In front of you is complete and utter black. If it weren't for the lines in the road, you'd be mushmeat off into a ditch, or into a river, or a rock wall.

Night riding most definitely makes you concentrate a whole lot more...and slow down.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Re: Night Riding

Yes it does I have run ute pass a few time in the dark. And in those few times on a road I know like the back of my hand have I gone throw more oh shit moments then any other time and they happen faster too.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Although on a warm summer night in a clear sky with a full moon, night riding is sublime.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I've made a pass thru the lower part of Deer Creek and Chatfield at midnight a few times....eerie and surreal. There's this one spot in Chatfield Park that I like to stop for a few....it's at the end of the secret road.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

For more fun ride at night...in the rain...with a tinted shield! Yeah buddy!

Had to do that one night when I was working nights in Boulder. Went in when it was light and usually home when it was light but got called home once in the middle when I didn't have my clear shield. Probably my slowest commute outside of driving home in blizzards a few times.

As for the canyons at night, LOOOOOOVE IT!
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

I kept trying to get away from the cagers...even though their lights lit up the rock walls. But, I wanted to be alone. Didn't exactly work that way. Next time there's a full moon, I'm gonna have to find a less-traveled canyon for that sublime feeling ;-)

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

ride a dirt bike on the trails @ night if you want a real thrill!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Riding the canyons at night is exciting and scary at the same time... It's like riding a totally different road at night
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

i have not done this. I have thought of it, but just have not committed to doing so. It does sound fun, excited, scary and all that stuff. I guess i will just have to venture out one evening and do it.

never mind I have tried it once, coming down pinewood. It was not quit a night ride as it was just pass sunset. It was not all that fun just cause of how tight that road is.
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Ironbutt rides that start at midnight are quite eyeopening
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Ironbutt rides that start at midnight are quite eyeopening
    Didn't you and some others ride Trail Ridge one night?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Didn't you and some others ride Trail Ridge one night?
    To the top and back down on full moon

I've ridden over and back a few times at night too in summer and fall.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

The next full moon is over the Labor Day holiday. CSC full moon ride?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I can pull the "it's my birthday and I wanna ride" card.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

I'm all sorts of about that

Hmmm...full moon ride up Trail Ridge? I wonder how if there's a curfew on that road at night?

Planning on moving that weekend, but a night ride won't hamper the moving activities at all.

Full moon.. not just one cheek? There may have to be an interesting photo or two from up there.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Hmmm...full moon ride up Trail Ridge? I wonder how if there's a curfew on that road at night?

Planning on moving that weekend, but a night ride won't hamper the moving activities at all.
    It's a US highway (34). They cannot close it except for inclement weather or seasonal closure.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    For more fun ride at night...in the rain...with a tinted shield! Yeah buddy!

Had to do that one night when I was working nights in Boulder. Went in when it was light and usually home when it was light but got called home once in the middle when I didn't have my clear shield. Probably my slowest commute outside of driving home in blizzards a few times.

As for the canyons at night, LOOOOOOVE IT!
    Same thing here man...

Coming home from boulder at ~ midnight, I decided to take the 'scenic' route, not thinking that it was pitch black and I wouldn't be able to see a damn thing. As I hit Estes, it started to rain/snow. Let me say that is the most focused hour or so of my life. I am a fairly conservative rider to begin with, but I did manage to keep a reasonable pace and had a smoother ride than anytime I had ridden that road during the daylight hours. It was actually a very enjoyable ride.

I'm game for a moonlight ride...altho I would be breaking my vow to never hit trail ridge on two wheels ever again

im usually afraid of getting gobbled by sasquatch at night in the canyons. ive done a few and the more riders the better and the more illegal hids glaring all over the place the better.

I like to ride with my lights off on top of Trail Ridge on full moon nights

geeezz......I'm still working on riding while it's light....without tipping over.My knee is going through its fourth color change.

"....dumb.....arrogant......condescending..... .
    lunatic.....douche....limited.....nut-case...."

oh...and from PMs "dumb broad".

"Posted by chanke4252"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    I like to ride with my lights off on top of Trail Ridge on full moon nights
    Now that just about seals the deal for me.

And no, Jeff (asp_125), it can't be a half-moon, it's gotta be full to do it right.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

I customized my headlights for night canyon riding.
    Just remove all the fasteners from the headlights and let them hang off the fairing.
    Every time you lean they flop over and light the turn.
    (I'm thinking of patenting it.)
    Last edited by Sortarican; Mon Aug 10th, 2009 at 05:46 PM.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.