Thread: Congrats to Boulder!!!

Post Congrats to Boulder!!!

Boulder's naturals industry pioneers gear up for GMO fight

Frequently referred to as one of the epicenters of the organics and natural products industry, Boulder, Colorado, may soon become ground zero for the battle between the forces of organics and those of genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
    "They [Monsanto] picked a fight with the wrong folks," Retzloff says. "We have a lot of resources and a lot of people who are going to be active on this stuff."
    Retzloff thinks that the die is cast. "Monsanto knows they could lose here, and that the ramifications of that are huge. Boulder is a place with lots of highly educated people and thought leaders. Mobilizing out of here means that the entire industry is going to hear about it, and the story is going to end up being much larger than it is now.
    "And the more Americans are educated about the dangers of GMOs and Monsanto's tactics, the more problems Monsanto is going to have. Agricultural biotech has Americans in their back pocket, and we have to change that situation, to bring forth the challenges and problems that GMOs are going to cause in the future."
    And so Demos says the next round will be to call for a referendum on the policy of what can be grown on open-space land, to educate the community and get the issue on the ballot for public vote.
    Retzloff promises it will be a good fight. "They are awakening a sleeping dragon," he says.
    Today IS a good day!

If you're wanting links with data and videos related to Monsanto, ask for it.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: Congrats to Boulder!!!

I worked for Mark Retzloff. They did pick a fight with the wrong folk.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

AKA "Devaclis"

I see nothing wrong with genetically modified organisms. We were all genetically modified at conception.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

If you've eaten strawberries in the last decade, you've eaten GMO food. Natural strawberries are tiny and sweet, not all plumped up and watery.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I heard they are trying to make beans, like the ones used in chili, that don't give you gas, pigs (pork) that have the good oils like fish do and not all of that bad fat, and generally trying to find ways to make all the foods you like, good for you. This was on an AM radio station early in the morning a few years back trying to promote the idea.

At least, that's there side of the story.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I see nothing wrong with genetically modified organisms. We were all genetically modified at conception.
    Or after attending a Bostons Bike Night
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Monsanto is notorious for toxicity issues. When I lived briefly in Alabama, they were sued by the community in Oxford, AL for a decade of knowledge of their PCB toxicity released into the community and to their employees. They had to pay out $700 million to settle the case. They are not to be trusted.

"....dumb.....arrogant......condescending..... .
    lunatic.....douche....limited.....nut-case...."

oh...and from PMs "dumb broad".

"Posted by chanke4252"

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    Monsanto is notorious for toxicity issues. When I lived briefly in Alabama, they were sued by the community in Oxford, AL for a decade of knowledge of their PCB toxicity released into the community and to their employees. They had to pay out $700 million to settle the case. They are not to be trusted.
    +1

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Mankind has been genetically altering themselves, animals, and plants for hundreds of thousands of years. It's called "breeding". Doesn't mean it's a bad thing, and the possibilities for good FAR outweigh the bad. would it be great to genetically weed out coronary artery disease, or "diabeetus", or cancer? Would it be good to have crops more resistant to disease? You betcha. These are goals the granolas cannot achieve. Genetic engineering simply is faster. Now, will there be cross-breeding? Possibly, probably, but it happens every day anyways and I can't see a real legal challenge working. Of course, it IS Boulder.......

Now, maybe that company is unethical, fine, but the opportuniy for advancing things for us is enormous, and I have no problem with it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)