Thread: what to expect at Abate of Colorado, rider course?

what to expect at Abate of Colorado, rider course?

I have registered for the basic rider course. There is not much information on Abate's website about the course structure. I know it's for two days but how many hours per day?

I read that "I will learn everything from mounting to maximum braking and swerving." Do they actually take you on a road? or do you keep practicing somewhere off the road? What's the written part all about?

thanks.

Xbox 360 :: FALCONSEYE
    PS3 :: FALCONSEYE_

Re: what to expect at Abate of Colorado, rider course?

Runs ~8-5 if I remember. There's classroom involved obviously, but majority riding. Everything is easy, including the written test, as long as you aren't braindead. I would say the hardest is the figure 8. Nothing on road... all parking lot 'n' cones.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

There is classroom time, but like Zach929rr said, its mostly on the bike out in a parking lot with tons of course things painted on the ground. If I recall, I read somewhere on here that they did away with the figure 8, but I could be mistaken.

Basically, if you know how to ride a bicycle and know that on sharp turns you put weight on your outside foot and inside hand, the turns will be easier. If you can get a friend to do it with you, its a LOT more fun, cause then you have competition on every part of the course!

Good luck!

Oh, and the only person that didn't pass in my class, was a 74 year old man who had knee replacements and couldn't hold the bike upright while sitting on the seat (he had one of the lower rebel 250s), so he was always standing up whenever he needed to stop. They forced him to sit down, which caused him to fall over and they ended up kicking him out because he dropped the bike 3 times total.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ600s View Post
    Oh, and the only person that didn't pass in my class, was a 74 year old man who had knee replacements and couldn't hold the bike upright while sitting on the seat (he had one of the lower rebel 250s), so he was always standing up whenever he needed to stop. They forced him to sit down, which caused him to fall over and they ended up kicking him out because he dropped the bike 3 times total.

How sad
    The time to hesitate is through
    No time to wallow in the mire
    Try now we can only lose
    And our love become a funeral pyre

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

Yea, the guy was really motivated to learn because all of his friends had bikes and convinced him to get one (he was also a retired brain surgeon or something like that). The instructors encouraged him to try the course again, he got a full refund as well. It was a little sad but everyone felt inspired by his commitment and dedication to keep learning how to ride.

8-5, wow. Oh well, I know I have to learn a lot of things. Hopefully, it will be a great experience.

^ Yup. Thankfully they have some complimentary hot coffee in the mornings (class in the morning both days). You'll do fine... most of all it's pretty fun if you haven't rode before.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

First time.

I took it in the Springs at the Post Time track.... 8-5 with an hour lunch break. We had lots of rain issues and had to return on a Monday to finish. There were five people in my class. Try to take it in a small class or there will be lots of waiting time for each person to do the required moves.
    Also, you can get $25 off if you register on-line and look for the discount. I still don't feel qualified to hit the streets with traffic.

"....dumb.....arrogant......condescending..... .
    lunatic.....douche....limited.....nut-case...."

oh...and from PMs "dumb broad".

"Posted by chanke4252"

its a fun class. i just took it a couple weeks ago and we were still doing the figure 8. i wasn't too fond of those, but draggin peg on a nighthawk was super fun.
    Kawika (pronounced kuh vee kuh)

'06 r6 raven-stolen
    '03 cbr 600rr

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    I took it in the Springs at the Post Time track.... 8-5 with an hour lunch break. We had lots of rain issues and had to return on a Monday to finish. There were five people in my class. Try to take it in a small class or there will be lots of waiting time for each person to do the required moves.
    Also, you can get $25 off if you register on-line and look for the discount. I still don't feel qualified to hit the streets with traffic.
    yeah class size does make a difference, our class was quite large and we seperated into two groups, but there was still a lot of waiting and when I took it, it was unbearably hot outside. Fun though and a must for all first timers IMHO.

Pandora, just start in the neighborhood, move to the secondary streets and work your way on up.

When I got my bike delivered I was around the neighborhood a ton, then I moved to on to a four laner that goes to the house. rode around that for a while then I moved onto traffic on the side streets, I graduated to the hwy on a early Sunday morning, and have been quite comfortable ever since. It's the canyons where i need to work on some things. But just go your own pace, if your not comfortable don't push it. Oh yeah and have fun
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    I still don't feel qualified to hit the streets with traffic.
    Remember that the aim of the course is to teach you how to safely operate the bike and plant the seeds of what to do in an emergency. The only way to make sure that the lessons stick is to get out on the bike and ride it. Taking the course doesn't make you a great rider if you never practice any of the lessons or get a chance to apply the knowledge directly to real life situations. You're always going to be nervous on your first street rides, first highway rides, first canyon rides, first rides with traffic, etc. We've all been there and just about all of us were nervous too. The best thing to do is get as much seat time as you can, build up your confidence, and then throw yourself into the fire. All the practice and lessons in the world will still leave you nervous your first time!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Good points. It will probably take me quite sometime to enter a busy road like Evans or Colorado. I hope my neighbors don't hate me since I will be doing a lot of stop and goes, and turns on the side roads by my house.

Bring weather appropriate gear, snacks, and lots of hydration. Most of all, have fun with it.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...