Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wanted to say hi!

Red face Just wanted to say hi!

I took the MSF's basic rider course over the weekend. I got to ride very first time ever. Over the last couple days, I already put 40 miles on the bike. I have a ton of things to learn but if anybody wants to ride with a noob, please let me know. It will be good practice for me. Btw, i won't be able to ride on i25 or any other busy roads.
    Xbox 360 :: FALCONSEYE
    PS3 :: FALCONSEYE_

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Re: Just wanted to say hi!

Congrats! You're off to a great start... MSF course AND Gear!
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

AKA "Devaclis"

Oh, hai!

Congrats on the course. Good way to start, IMO.

I really like that Ninja too. Go have some fun
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Tylar's Avatar

+1 on gear from the giddy-up.
    -Tylar

2009: 2009 GSXR 600 *wifey's*
    2010: 2008 YZF-R1

Sharp bike & clean gear! Keep 'em both shiny side up!

Good job with the course, now just expand your comfort zone & get as much riding in before the weather changes. Cold tires are already starting to become a factor in early morning commutes!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

AKA "Devaclis"

I have knobbies that might fit that if you want to ride this winter.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

The course was great. Thanks to everybody. I will most likely not ride in bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by FALCONSEYE View Post
    The course was great. Thanks to everybody. I will most likely not ride in bad weather.
    Think about adding some riding pants (either leather/textile or riding jeans or carhartts); regular jeans shread in about 4ft in a slide. Frame sliders too.

Good first bike, learn to ride it well and it will make the transition to faster bikes easy. 'Grats on gear and MSF, good way to start.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

You may not want to ride in bad weather, but if you keep riding, you'll end up in it eventually. If you've got a chance to learn to ride in bad weather in a controlled environment (i.e. down to the store & back) it might not be an altogether bad idea to acquaint yourself with it and how the bike handles differently.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I never wanted to ride in bad weather when I first started. However, the first night I took my bike from my buddies place (where I was keeping it while I learned) it started to pour down on me. I realized its not that bad. Now I will ride in just about anything.

I know how to spell it, I just forgot the other "h". Heater's Avatar

Congrats on coming to the Dark Side!!! Everyone here is really helpful and great for getting tips and pointers. I think it's awesome that you know your limitations and aren't going to push yourself too hard yet. Don't loose that!! That's how people get hurt. Save the pushing yourself for a trackday, not on the streets
    Go big or go home

asp_125, I am looking for some riding pants but couldn't find one yet. I will have to google a bit more.

MetaLord9, you are right. I was thinking about riding to work this morning. I rode yesterday taking side roads in almost no traffic just to see. It took me 22 mins vs. 7 to 12mins in my car driving on I25. It's kind of funny that I came to realize the cracks, pot holes on the road that I have never seen before. When I checked the weather this morning, I read chances of thunderstorms so I decided not to ride. I might need to ride in my neighborhood just to test braking, and turning before riding on roads where the speed limit is 40 mph.

Another thing, I had to wait at a traffic light on E. Tuffts Ave and S. Ulster Street for almost 6 mins. While I was at the course, the instructor mentioned how the automated traffic lights sometimes fail to recognize the presence of a motorcycle. (something to do with smaller motorcycle not completing the electromagnetic circuit). Anyway, finally some cab stopped by me and the light turn into green. What do you do? Do I have to take another route, hope somebody will stop by me or do something else?

Personally, I'll just wait about 5-10 mins or for two light cycles to go without a green and then check both ways before just going through the light. If it's a faulty traffic signal and you get pulled over you can reasonably explain to an officer that you gave the light ample opportunity to change and that you ensure your own safety when proceeding with caution.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

If you can see the sensor bars on top of the pavement, stop directly on top of one of those. I usually rock the bike back n for with some light clutch if its one of the more bastardsome lights... usually don't get caught at lights
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Another thing, I had to wait at a traffic light on E. Tuffts Ave and S. Ulster Street for almost 6 mins. While I was at the course, the instructor mentioned how the automated traffic lights sometimes fail to recognize the presence of a motorcycle. (something to do with smaller motorcycle not completing the electromagnetic circuit). Anyway, finally some cab stopped by me and the light turn into green. What do you do? Do I have to take another route, hope somebody will stop by me or do something else?
    I bounce up and down on my seat a little. That way it triggers the weight sensor. Other people have even suggested takaing it out of gear, putting the kickstand down and going and pushing the button by yourself. It's never come to that for me though. Good luck and welcome to happiness.

There's a lot of voodoo witchcraft old wives tales type of solutions to the "how do I get the light to change when I'm on a motorcycle" question, but sometimes, ya just gotta run it.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    There's a lot of voodoo witchcraft old wives tales type of solutions to the "how do I get the light to change when I'm on a motorcycle" question, but sometimes, ya just gotta run it.
    That's illegal! I would never do anything that might break any sort of traffic violation. You're a bad person.

AKA "Devaclis"

I run that light ALL the time. If I wait for 5 minutes and it does not turn green, I treat it like a stop sign.

Where do you commute from and what time?

I leave Highlands ranch between 6:30 and 7 each morning and go right by that light to DTC blvd

asp_125, I am looking for some riding pants but couldn't find one yet. I will have to google a bit more.

MetaLord9, you are right. I was thinking about riding to work this morning. I rode yesterday taking side roads in almost no traffic just to see. It took me 22 mins vs. 7 to 12mins in my car driving on I25. It's kind of funny that I came to realize the cracks, pot holes on the road that I have never seen before. When I checked the weather this morning, I read chances of thunderstorms so I decided not to ride. I might need to ride in my neighborhood just to test braking, and turning before riding on roads where the speed limit is 40 mph.

Another thing, I had to wait at a traffic light on E. Tuffts Ave and S. Ulster Street for almost 6 mins.
    i live 2 minutes from there.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    i live 2 minutes from there.
    I work right there.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

With the bike in the sensor area, I just put it in neutral and drop the sidestand down lean the bike over several times to let it contact the surface and it usually works
    Mike

Thanks, I will try these next time minus the red light running.
    Devaclis, asp_125 and Matty.
    I work at the building right across from Hyatt Regency ( 4643 South Ulster Street) and live by i25 and Colorado.
    I am typically in by 07:00~07:30 and out by 15:00~16:00. I guess it depends on if I have last min requests.
    One of these days, maybe we can meet for lunch or grab a diet coke at baker street after work.

AKA "Devaclis"

Diet coke is for Kawi....wait

Thanks, I will try these next time minus the red light running.
    Devaclis, asp_125 and Matty.
    I work at the building right across from Hyatt Regency ( 4643 South Ulster Street) and live by i25 and Colorado.
    I am typically in by 07:00~07:30 and out by 15:00~16:00. I guess it depends on if I have last min requests.
    One of these days, maybe we can meet for lunch or grab a diet coke at baker street after work.
    Well howdy neighbor!! 4582 South Ulster.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots