Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab/Durango/Gunnison the weekend of Sept. 26/27

Re: Moab/Durango/Gunnison the weekend of Sept. 26/27

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I can’t go but some highlights if you can...Monarch Pass, McClure Pass, Hwy 92, Grand Mesa, Hwy 141, Hwy 550, Wolf Creek Pass, Hwy 129.
    Highway 92 between Hotchkiss and Delta sucks right now. They are doing major construction. There are some sections with no pavement and lots of dust.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Vess View Post
    Highway 92 between Hotchkiss and Delta sucks right now. They are doing major construction. There are some sections with no pavement and lots of dust.
    guess where I'm riding this weekend...

WTH, if Cathy can dual sport the Zed so can I.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Board Newbie

I am very interested too, but I am new to denver, so u guys have to help me out! maxgsxr@live.com

If you take Hwy 50 out or back, the Black Mesa (hwy 92) is def worth riding between the dam and Crawford....one of the best rides in the state.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

(formerly "ABATEStateCoord") THoward's Avatar

Decent motel in Durango off Main St www.caboosemoteldurango.com. Family run and clean runs about $80 bucks a night for 2 beds. We have a meeting down there once a year and we stay with them, so they are used to motorcycles. They are just about the cheapest place I've found down there, unless you want to share the room with bugs. Someone mentioned Wolf Creek pass, they are STILL doing construction, down to one lane 45 minute wait. I can't think of an alternate route back, but give me a couple of days. I'll ask around see if anyone knows another way besides I-70. I will be in Minnesnowta that weekend, getting educated, anyone want to trade? lol

Always construction in this area.

http://www.dot.state.co.us/TravelInfo/CurrentCond/

US 160 Eastbound/Westbound on Ute Mountain Ute Reservation (Milemarker 7-12) (through September 2009)

7:00am-6:00pm MO-SA There will be one lane alternating traffic. for wingwalls, riprap, slope and ditch grading, fencing, guardrail, and bridge joints. 10 minute delays possible.

US 160 Eastbound/Westbound Durango from Doubletree to SH 3 (Milemarker 83-87) (through November 2009)

8:30am-3:30pm SU-SA Motorists can expect periodic single lane closures or lane shifts on US160 during daytime off peak hours (8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) while crews complete miscellaneous work on the center median barrier and roadway striping on US160. Partial daytime closures may also occur on the east and west frontage roads to complete asphalt paving.
    Last edited by FZRguy; Fri Sep 11th, 2009 at 09:29 PM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Easy to get around this construction and a cool ride. Take Florida Rd (SR240) east from Durango for 15 miles. Look for a small store on your right and go right (south) at the store. Be looking for SR501 about 18 miles out. Take 501 to Bayfield (you will cross US160 before Bayfield). Pick up SR521 (Buck Hwy) to Ignacio. Head east on SR151 from Ignacio to Arboles. Continue on 151 past Chimney Rock and to US160. I have a detailed map with mileage markers of this route that I can send you.

Take 160 to Pagosa Spgs and over Wolf Creek Pass. Head north on Hwy 149 at South Fork over Slumgullion Pass (very cool) to Lake City. Continue on 149 to Hwy 50. Take 50 east to Blue Mesa Dam (hwy 92) to Hotchkiss, Hwy 133 over McClure Pass and Hwy 82 over to I-70.

You can still take 550 to 50 east if you want, but I think Wolf Creek and 149 is the better route.
    Last edited by FZRguy; Fri Sep 11th, 2009 at 07:30 PM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Drat, found more construction but usually not a big deal.

US 160 Eastbound/Westbound Over Wolf Creek Pass (Milemarker 166.9) (through November2009)

24 Hours There will be one lane alternating traffic with flaggers during week days and controlled by traffic signal from 5pm-7am and on weekends for reconstruction. 10-15 minute delays possible. 12 ft. width restriction in effect 24/7 through 10/02/09. Construction hotline 719-850-0429.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Durango Lodge is another option, fairly reasonable and downtown.

150 E. 5th Street Durango, CO 970-247-0955
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I was over Wolfcreek three weeks ago. It isn't a big deal. I also rode the streach of road west of Hotchkiss and it isn't a big deal eather.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

I have two words for all of you who will go on this ride:

I'm Jealous!!!!!!!!!
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250

Just got back from a loop out to Grand Junction over the Grand Mesa. Ok... here's the scoop if you're not sure about this ride. GO!!! The aspens in the upper reaches of the Grand Mesa are starting to turn, really good colors up over in the central mountains in Marble, Crested Butte and Aspen areas. Some of the best fall riding is still to be had in the next couple weekends. Go!!!!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    guess where I'm riding this weekend...

WTH, if Cathy can dual sport the Zed so can I.
    It wasn't all that bad...well, sorta.

What was funny was when we finally cleared the dirt, the people in the truck ahead of us was were waving at us to pass them.

Most definitely, the colors will be peaking in the next week or so. There are some amazing colors with the lower lying bushes, etc. Lots of bronzes and golds out there.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

I know how to spell it, I just forgot the other "h". Heater's Avatar

I'm game as long as it doesn't cost to much. I'm going to have to take some time off work, so let me know departure/return times if you can Bob. I've never been on a long group ride so this would be a blast!
    Go big or go home

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Thanks for the info Terry & John...

I've updated the first post with a list of people interested. We're up at about 10 people for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Live4theMoment View Post
    I'm game as long as it doesn't cost to much. I'm going to have to take some time off work, so let me know departure/return times if you can Bob. I've never been on a long group ride so this would be a blast!
    Heather, as far as cost goes, gas + meals + lodging, and I don't expect any of those to be extravagant. My plan is to leave early Saturday morning, and get home sometime Sunday evening, so I'd block off both days.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

I'm 50% maybe yes. By when will you need to know for sure? Will you arrange rooms in Durango or is that up to us?

I'm 50/50 at this point. I have my room in Durango if I go. I doubt I will go into Utah. I will turn at Mancos and do the Lizard Head Pass to To-Hell-U-Ride deal and then back either 50 or 133. Decisions -- Decisions. I do want to ride with the Spider-Man though.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

The one time I was in Durango, I believe I went back through Mancos and Cortez and then up through Black Canyon, by Telluride, and to Glenwood Springs. The Black Canyon was very scenic, and would very much enjoy going back through there!
    If that's the route you're taking, I might go back with ya if you don't mind. Maybe we can convince Spiderman to join?!
    Last edited by Ninja2; Mon Sep 14th, 2009 at 10:04 PM.

If I have a second to leave town (between any inbound weather fronts) I"M ALL IN.

Any hotels in downtown Durango are cool. It's OFF season and they ALL HAVE DEALS

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    I'm 50% maybe yes. By when will you need to know for sure? Will you arrange rooms in Durango or is that up to us?
    I was planning on just finding a place when we got there, so last minute would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    I doubt I will go into Utah.
    They still got that warrant out for you, eh?

I do want to ride with the Spider-Man though.
    Likewise... I mean, I'd really like to ride with you too... riding from work to Boston's for bike night doesn't really constitute "riding together" in my books.

If I have a second to leave town (between any inbound weather fronts) I"M ALL IN.
    What's it gonna take? Something going on, or is that just a crack a the weather?

Any hotels in downtown Durango are cool. It's OFF season and they ALL HAVE DEALS
    That's what I was counting on.
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
    R.I.P. 502

I am taking part of that route but going to Laughlin NV that weekend. Plan on following route to durango, but keep going south into AZ. What are the exact dates? Saturday and Sunday? I might be able to catch on the way back on Sunday. i am leaving the Thursday before.
    MRA #176 Rookie/Novice
    Sponsor: Visa Mastercard overdraft protection

Quote Originally Posted by nwatkins View Post
    What are the exact dates? Saturday and Sunday? I might be able to catch on the way back on Sunday. i am leaving the Thursday before.
    Yes, I plan on leaving the Morrison Conoco early-ish Saturday morning, returning sometime Sunday late-afternoon/early-evening.
    R.I.P. 502

AKA "Devaclis"

Bob, can you do a little research and find a dirt alternative so I can follow along and meet you guys when you stop?

I would also require a list of fuel stops, beef jerky stands, an ACME store so I can get supplies to catch that RoadRunner, and at least one place where I can pee outside without having to register as a sex offender.

Thanks!
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    ... without having to register as a sex offender.

Shouldn't you already have this taken care of...