Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab/Durango/Gunnison the weekend of Sept. 26/27

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Re: Moab/Durango/Gunnison the weekend of Sept. 26/27

Bob,
    Short of mechanical troubles or rain/snow that whole weekend you can change me from interested to definite.
    +1 on skipping Utah and staying off of I-70, but whatever works for the group is good by me.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Made reservations. I have a room with two beds, and interested in splitting the cost with preferably a female rider.
    Will most likely take 50 back because I'm in the Springs. Hoping that we get to see some Fall colors.

Lightbulb Re: Moab/Durango/Gunnison the weekend of Sept. 26/27

Please let me know when you are leaving - perhaps I will tag along. I added a tail bag so I can bring a change of clothes !
    finally - handlebars ...an Aprilia Tuono with Ohlins and OZ's

present
    past rides too numerous to mention

AKA "Devaclis"

The best thing about clothes is they are normally optional
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

The route should be ridden clockwise. If the route is ridden counter clockwise you will end up in Durango way after 10 PM.
    Last edited by Nick_Ninja; Wed Sep 16th, 2009 at 09:07 AM.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Board Newbie

I just returned Sunday from a 4 day ride down around hwy 550. Everything was lovely but the temps are definitely cooling down so bring warm clothes. We saw lots of fall colors climbing from I70 towards Leadville, and again on the east side of Independence Pass. The west side was still green and no leaves had yet turned in the aspen groves outside of Aspen. Some fall colors along 550 but much less than I expected. The roads were all clean, except if (it doesn't look like it from your map) you plan on going over McClure Pass. Lots of construction on 92 west of Hotchkiss with stretches of watered down dirt to ride over.
    We had a fantastic time. Caught some rain and hail outside of Telluride and dodged plenty of thunderstorms. Sunday morning I was going to ride into Silverton (from Ridgeway) for breakfast but the high country was covered in mean nasty looking clouds so I headed on home.

I'd love to join you all and do it again but now I need to get back to work!

Spiderman,
    There has been a lot of chatter about routing/direction but it's your thread, do you have a revised route? I'm game either way I just need to calculate what part of my tire I will be on and if it will last. Nothing worse than pulling off good rubber if you don't need to!

Quote Originally Posted by LaverdaGuy View Post
    I just returned Sunday from a 4 day ride down around hwy 550.
    Didn't we (not so formally) meet in Leadville Sunday during lunch at Doc Holidays? Glad to hear you got home safely.
    Toby

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by noskills View Post
    Didn't we (not so formally) meet in Leadville Sunday during lunch at Doc Holidays? Glad to hear you got home safely.
    Toby
    Yeah we did! I'm going to have to start asking people I meet about the CSC, y'all seem to be everywhere. The ride home was fine, a little rain but nothing worth worrying about. I was in around 5:00 I guess. Did you go up Mosquito?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by LaverdaGuy View Post
    Did you go up Mosquito?
    Nah. I spent some time east of Leadville looking for mines, slipping and sliding in the mud, then I just shot back on 70.

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    Made reservations. I have a room with two beds, and interested in splitting the cost with preferably a female rider.
    Will most likely take 50 back because I'm in the Springs. Hoping that we get to see some Fall colors.
    Where did you make a reservation?

Quote Originally Posted by norcolmille View Post
    Please let me know when you are leaving - perhaps I will tag along. I added a tail bag so I can bring a change of clothes !
    I was planning on leaving the Morrison Conoco at 8:30 AM on Saturday the 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    The route should be ridden clockwise. If the route is ridden counter clockwise you will end up in Durango way after 10 PM.
    Ya think? I wasn't planning on taking long breaks. Here's how I was picturing it:
    - Leave Morrison at 8:30 AM
    - Lunch in Grand Junction around 12:30 (something quick)
    - Arrive in Moab around 4:00
    - Arrive in Durango by 8:00 PM

Spiderman,
    There has been a lot of chatter about routing/direction but it's your thread, do you have a revised route? I'm game either way I just need to calculate what part of my tire I will be on and if it will last. Nothing worse than pulling off good rubber if you don't need to!
    I'm sorry, I've been slammed at work and haven't had time to examine the different options that people have mentioned (sorry John), so no, I do not have a revised route at this time. Like I said, I'm open to changing the route. I would really like to do that 41 mile stretch of road along the river that leads in to Moab, that, along with stopping in Durango, was my goal for this trip. If someone has a solid suggestion for a revised route, please post it up.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Ninja2, I'm a rider gal from the Springs who was planning on heading to Durango with one other buddy on Saturday the 26th. We'll be staying the night there. However, he and I are not together, so could I split the room with you that night? E-mail me and we can discuss more details and contact info. - Sarah
    Last edited by aerofaze; Wed Sep 16th, 2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Date clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    I would really like to do that 41 mile stretch of road along the river that leads in to Moab, that, along with stopping in Durango, was my goal for this trip. If someone has a solid suggestion for a revised route, please post it up.
    To include the Moab section (road 128 ) and stop in Durango, without adding huge miles, 70 is pretty much the only. I'm planning to follow the crowd, backroads or freeway, I'll be in Durango.

Jeff's does this mean we will see you in Durango?

I vote for one of the below on the way back.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Durango+co&daddr=CO-550%2FNavajo+Trail%2FUS-550+to:County+Rd-11+to:CO-67+to:39.445738,-105.373993+to:Morrison,+CO&geocode=%3BFfyhQwIdCWSV-Q%3BFU9nTQIdd5u3-Q%3BFX52TwId6mW7-Q%3B%3B&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=4&sz=11&via=1,2, 3,4&dirflg=h&sll=39.427707,-105.114441&sspn=0.384526,0.615921&ie=UTF8&ll=38.41 4862,-106.155396&spn=3.120216,4.927368&z=8
    or
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Durango+co&daddr=37.8640 12,-107.157898+to:County+Rd-11+to:CO-67+to:CO-126%2FCounty+Rd-126%2FS+Pine+Valley+Rd+to:Morrison,+CO&hl=en&geoco de=%3B%3BFU9nTQIdd5u3-Q%3BFX52TwId6mW7-Q%3BFZLfWQIdPh-4-Q%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1,2,3,4&dirflg =h&sll=37.824972,-106.990356&sspn=1.572839,2.463684&ie=UTF8&z=9
    Last edited by noskills; Wed Sep 16th, 2009 at 09:46 PM.

I'll be in Durango. I'll be riding the main passes to get there but not go to Utah -------- weather permitting.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

I am a follower...I am down for whatever

This is going to be a blast!!! POWERS and I plan on being in Durango the night of Sep 26 (I'm sharing a room with Ninja2).

I have the feeling that a lot of us may be doing slightly different routes along the way and back, even though we're all starting and ending in the same locations.

For me and POWERS (we are both from Colorado Springs), we'd definitely like to meet with folks Saturday morning. We have THIS ROUTE in mind, but it may deviate if something else sounds more interesting. The idea of being in a large group is awesome, but we're okay if we end up splitting from everyone else, or if other people come along with us.

Therefore, does anyone have specific times and locations in mind of meeting places for the morning of Saturday the 26th (where in Morrison/Denver? where in Colorado Springs? times?)

Thanks!
    Sarah

Breakfast at the Durango Diner on Sunday AM --- say 9:00 AM

How about dinner Sat night at Carver Brewing: http://www.carverbrewing.com/restaurant.html?
    Location and map: http://www.carverbrewing.com/location.html
    These will be the only directions I am in charge of!

Just a heads up, if you're going north over Grand Mesa. On the north side descending towards I-70, towards the bottom, there are a couple of nasty frost heaves where the pavement drops several inches. It looks like the new pavement just sagged in areas.Those are marked by cones .. but don't trust that the cones will always be there.
    Last edited by asp_125; Thu Sep 17th, 2009 at 07:49 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

How about dinner Sat night at Carver Brewing: http://www.carverbrewing.com/restaurant.html?
    Location and map: http://www.carverbrewing.com/location.html
    These will be the only directions I am in charge of!
    Say 8:00? The Moab riders won't be in till then.

Say 8:00? The Moab riders won't be in till then.
    Sounds good. We will wait for them while sipping on that delicious brew
    Now that we have dinner and breakfast covered, i still need to figure out which route I'm gonna take to get there.... .

Sounds good. We will wait for them while sipping on that delicious brew
    Now that we have dinner and breakfast covered, i still need to figure out which route I'm gonna take to get there.... .
    I'll PM you our plans once I hear more as there might be another couple of friends tagin' along.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Just a heads up, if you're going north over Grand Mesa. On the north side descending towards I-70, towards the bottom, there are a couple of nasty frost heaves where the pavement drops several inches. It looks like the new pavement just sagged in areas.Those are marked by cones .. but don't trust that the cones will always be there.
    Awesome (or awsome as some prefer), I love it there is a jump or a sag in the pavement mid sweep! That and deer jumping out while at 80% lean angle, anything to increase pucker factor.

I'll PM you our plans once I hear more as there might be another couple of friends tagin' along.
    Jeff where you starting out from and time? I will probably skip the long and flat and opt to go twisty with ya!

Jeff where you starting out from and time? I will probably skip the long and flat and opt to go twisty with ya!
    I'll include you in the PM.