Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Police want your $$

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: Police want your $$

Quote Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
    also Centennial City Council as part of the police contract is requiring Arapahoe Sheriffs Dept to produce minimum 15 citations for traffic cops & 2 for beat cops per shift....and they also go for every violation ...City Council wants no leniency...the will write you if you dont sign the back of your registration
    I won't be spending any $$ at any business in that municipality.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Keep an eye out on 470 both N and S bound from Kipling up to I-70... Have seen a couple bikes on the side of the road there recently. They LOVE the overpass at Bowles as well, especially on weekend mornings!

SCHOOL'S IN! Cops everywhere!

I thought KLR's were undetectable by radar.....kinda like a stealth fighter!
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

also Centennial City Council as part of the police contract is requiring Arapahoe Sheriffs Dept to produce minimum 15 citations for traffic cops & 2 for beat cops per shift....and they also go for every violation ...City Council wants no leniency...the will write you if you dont sign the back of your registration
    How exactly can a CITY council dictate what a COUNTY agency does? Sense no makey.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    How exactly can a CITY council dictate what a COUNTY agency does? Sense no makey.
    It sorta makes sense since when Centennial was incorporated instead of setting up a police force they contracted with Arapahoe County to provide law enforcement in the city. Now if certain deputies are assigned to function as Centennial police officers then I could maybe see a policy like that but if the sheriff just patrols it like the rest of the county then no way

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I still see an officer sitting in my neighborhood every now and then. There's a stop sign that a lot of locals like to blow right by. It comes up on a T in the road. Meh...I'm not so bothered by that as I am about the idiots in rush hour thinking they own the roads. Some people need a serious reality check.

On another note...I haven't been the best of riders either...on certain occasions.

Anyway, I did notice a beef up in the traps here and there. Southbound on die-2-5 in the mornings on the 20th st bridge. In the HOV lanes...both morning and afternoon rushes. I was thinking it was the increase in ticket amounts, too.

Just seems to me that most publicly funded institutions are hurting financially and it won't be getting better in the immediate future.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

It's only going to get worse. With local gov't's having money problems from lack of tax income and increased expendatures via unemployment from everyone being out of work, it's no wonder they're stepping up the citations in numbers and upping the fine amounts. God forbid a couple of cops and/or gov't workers would have to lose their jobs like the REST of us.....
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Zach, you don't know what you're talking about! On the up side, I'm no longer a probie n00b!

Yanno I think they ought to just stand on corners with a tin cup or learn to make balloon animals for money if they're that hard up for budgets. OTOH just think of the money they'd save if it weren't wasted in getting themselves into these excessive force lawsuits.

Oh, and... www.speedtrap.org
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

and I hope everybody heard that Denver City Council is voting to raise the fine$ on 5-9mph over from $40 to $75...so of course that means they'll be enforcing that one soon....
    It's funny because tickets are for safety violations, yet they clearly admitted the reason they are increasing the fine amount is because of budget shortfall.

Ridiculous.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webman View Post
    It's funny because tickets are for safety violations, yet they clearly admitted the reason they are increasing the fine amount is because of budget shortfall.

Ridiculous.
    Oh, they're trying but it's getting harder and harder for them to keep a straight face:

"We have proposed an increase in traffic fines that will match the average in the metro area. We've also eliminated the early payment discount on traffic fines," Hickenlooper said on Wednesday afternoon. "We weren't necessarily looking for money. We were trying to find out where is a place where if we are gonna increase a fee or a fine, we're making the city better or safer."
    Source

The article lists a link to a Word doc that shows the changes. Unfortunately, the number of speeding tickets for each speed interval aren't given, just in aggregate but you don't have to try to hard to believe that the number of potential tickets in the 5-9 mph over is huge, so that's why they are going after it.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

So increasing a fine makes the city safer? That's somewhat opinionated. I don't base my speed on how much the fine will be. I base it on how many points I still have left. Tickets are tickets, and they're expensive. But the cost of them does not slow me down or make me ride safer. It just makes me more aware of cops and their tactics. It also gives them my middle fucking finger when they are running a speed trap.

And really, if it DID increase safety, then the fine revenue could go down (fewer speeders), therefore making the increase somewhat moot.
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    The article lists a link to a Word doc that shows the changes. Unfortunately, the number of speeding tickets for each speed interval aren't given, just in aggregate but you don't have to try to hard to believe that the number of potential tickets in the 5-9 mph over is huge, so that's why they are going after it.

Dirk
    I saw a report on the television news, probably local FOX network, where they had the breakdown by overage. It showed that tickets had doubled in the 0-10 range while staying the same over the previous year for two additional brackets above that.

Will try to find more detail....

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    I saw a report on the television news, probably local FOX network, where they had the breakdown by overage. It showed that tickets had doubled in the 0-10 range while staying the same over the previous year for two additional brackets above that.

Will try to find more detail....
    So my memory wasn't spot on. The detail was for CSP and "not available" for Denver.

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-ticket...,7919402.story

But latest figures from CSP show that for the first three months of 2008 versus 2009, 574 more tickets were written for going 5-to-9 miles-an-hour over the limit. And 506 more tickets were written during the same period for 10 to 19 miles-an-hour over. Overall, there's been an increase of 1,614 tickets written in the first three months year-to-year.
    If you watch the video, I'd just like to add that I think Hedrick is a putz and FOX killed their morning news broadcast.
    Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Tue Sep 28th, 2010 at 02:58 PM.

I bet that's because more and more people see the stupidity in speed limit logic. 5-9 over isn't a big deal to most people... unless you're an illegal mexican.
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by Webman View Post
    I bet that's because more and more people see the stupidity in speed limit logic. 5-9 over isn't a big deal to most people... unless you're an illegal mexican.
    Or it's possible the officer writing the ticket chose to write the violator for 5-9 over when they were really going 10-19 over.

or what's really happening, is you now get gifted a ticket where you used to get a warning or the cop didn't bother pulling you over.

If you watch the video from the article I linked, you can see that as a %, the tickets written for 10-15mph over was nearly the same. For 15+, it's almost the same to the exact ticket, but 5-9 had nearly doubled.

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

Also there is the photo "0" point vans sitting around that just send a bill to your plate address.
    Αφροδίτη

https://www.facebook.com/dcbk.stanley

The one in the back still catching up....

Personally, I feel that the emphasis should be put on inattentive driving rather than speeding. A person doing the speed limit while talking on a cell phone is way more dangerous and erratic than a perfectly attentive driver, not preoccupied by something, doing 10 over. Tickets for left lane drivers not passing (which is already a law), use of electronic device while driving (which should be a law) and severe causes for causing an accident due to lack of attention (more than a couple hundred dollars for killing, or almost killing a person). That's there cash cow, that's 50% of the drivers out there. Go after it!

itsa catch .22
    I need the money to pave my street so if you dont spend we have to go collect
    Thank God, I don't even live in that swill hole.

Paving your street isn't on my list.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Or it's possible the officer writing the ticket chose to write the violator for 5-9 over when they were really going 10-19 over.
    And why is it that that would change? Why would officers start giving more people breaks, than in the past?
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Yeah its ridiculous..like most cities....
    try speeding on Arapahoe Rd..speed limit 55mph, with normal traffic 30..
    the only time its nice is Sunday morning & then your right in the middle of the setup....BAM!!
    took me 2 times to learn my lesson..& I was on the way to get Dognuts for the fam...no break from LEO full price ticket in the parking lot of the doughnut shop
    centennial
    The bottom line is the citizenry of the municipality can kick out the bastards that control the city council and/or dictate the police policy. It just takes some pressure @ the polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    The bottom line is the citizenry of the municipality can kick out the bastards that control the city council and/or dictate the police policy. It just takes some pressure @ the polls.
    I'm surprised that nobody has ever gone on a state/city employee shooting spree, because of this very reason. Why wait to vote, when you can take action now!
    2002 Yamaha WR250F