View Poll Results: Fender Elliminators: Yay! or Nay!

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Squiddy as they come.

3 4.41%
  • Who the h*ll cares.

5 7.35%
  • I have/would put one on.

60 88.24%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fender Elliminator Kits (Poll)

Re: Fender Elliminator Kits (Poll)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    One of our esteemed members suggested frame sliders as the first, most important mod for my new bike. I wanted to talk extended swingarms and neon but...
    FTFY..
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Hahaha!!! Busted.

Fender eliminators have always perplexed me. Do none of you ever ride in the wet? Don't you get sprayed by crap off the back tire?

Check out my Tuono, the tail is identical to the RSV. All I did was cut the plastic behind the license plate, total cost 5 minutes of my time. A fender eliminator will only raise the plate another 1 1/2 inch so my opinion was why bother?
    Last edited by longrider; Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_blue View Post
    Fender eliminators have always perplexed me. Do none of you ever ride in the wet? Don't you get sprayed by crap off the back tire?
    Looking at the profile of most bikes, the tail section is usually long enough by itself to prevent tire spray... IMO

Quote Originally Posted by sgt775 View Post
    Now that thing is simply sexy. You have to do any drilling or anything to put it on? The less the better.
    No drilling. It just bolted in to the holes from the original fender.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_blue View Post
    I was confused about this as well, at first anyway. Every street bike I've ever owned has had a separate license plate holder and fender. If you look up at the pics in my first post you'll see I have a carbon rear fender and then that wheelie bar of a plate holder.

I guess the squids are the ones who actually remove the rear fender entirely to put on small license plate holders?

lol.

*edit*
    Added this photo to show my fender better. Sorry if it's more oriented towards the rear shock, I took these pictures back on leave and won't be home to take more until February at the earliest. But in the pic you can see that there's a separate fender or rear wheel cover, and if you compare it to the first two in my original post you can see that my "fender" is really just a hugeass plate holder.
    Last edited by Sarge; Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Usually the first thing i discard from the bike when i get it home. I make them from Home Depot for like 3 bucks.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Check out my Tuono, the tail is identical to the RSV. All I did was cut the plastic behind the license plate, total cost 5 minutes of my time. A fender eliminator will only raise the plate another 1 1/2 inch so my opinion was why bother?
    She's damn pretty, what year is that? 2004?
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Looking at the profile of most bikes, the tail section is usually long enough by itself to prevent tire spray... IMO
    The replacement license plate holder I have on the speedie keeps up splash to a minimum at speed. However, when going slow, the tire does fling water up all over the tail section and me. So I try to avoid puddles and the like in parking lots.

Now, if I'm out riding in the rain, a little water off the tire isn't going to make a bit of difference on my bike.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I was confused about this as well, at first anyway. Every street bike I've ever owned has had a separate license plate holder and fender. If you look up at the pics in my first post you'll see I have a carbon rear fender and then that wheelie bar of a plate holder.

I guess the squids are the ones who actually remove the rear fender entirely to put on small license plate holders?

lol.

*edit*
    Added this photo to show my fender better. Sorry if it's more oriented towards the rear shock, I took these pictures back on leave and won't be home to take more until February at the earliest. But in the pic you can see that there's a separate fender or rear wheel cover, and if you compare it to the first two in my original post you can see that my "fender" is really just a hugeass plate holder.
    What you have is a wheelie bar for a fender and a carbon rear tire hugger. Some people will confuse the two, but the rear fender is the whole plate/reflector assy. The rear tire hugger is the part that goes over the top of the rear tire to prevent the undertail and rear shock from getting nasty.

I just hate the monstrocity's they call fenders. They tend to look more like a Rudder for a large boat. I ditch them first chance I get also.
    '95 Suziki GSXF 600 (Katana) (sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka. Black Betty) Thunder Grey (Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I love being identified as a with the unusually large and ugly plastic thingy hanging off the tail of my Zed. It's cool!

Actually, it's been quite a while since I had thought about it, but after reading this thread, I am inclined to find a good hacksaw and cut off the extra baggage, er plastic...to see what, if any, improvement can be made.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

I have an unusually large thing hanging .. oh nvrmd.

On the SV I removed the huge grain shovel cause I was a racer wannabee and wanted to hide my plate from the po-po. But riding year round and in the rain, dirt and water off the tire worked its way into the "trunk", and I had a nice skunk stripe on my back more than once.

I've run the stock fender on the gixxer for years now, because other than removing the round safety reflectors, it doesn't look like captn hook's nose.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

If I ride in the wet not really worrying to much about my back due to the fact my front is already soaked, so I avoid the wet when possible and just wipe the day to day stuff. Might get caught one of these days where that long thing thing could have helped me but hey I like it the way I like it, so I got it the way I got it.

As for your frame sliders make sure you get them long enough to actually do you good. The ones I got don't seem like they would do anything if I plop it much less have it actually slide down the road.
    Αφροδίτη

https://www.facebook.com/dcbk.stanley

The one in the back still catching up....

She's damn pretty, what year is that? 2004?
    Thanks, that is a 2009. The Tuono didnt get the new engine & chassis until 2006

The replacement license plate holder I have on the speedie keeps up splash to a minimum at speed. However, when going slow, the tire does fling water up all over the tail section and me. So I try to avoid puddles and the like in parking lots.

Now, if I'm out riding in the rain, a little water off the tire isn't going to make a bit of difference on my bike.
    I like your solution: Speed.

Your bike has a short tailsection though... right? Triumph, Buell, and... what else?

=caring what other people think about how your bike looks.

Good luck getting back stateside healthy!

I like your solution: Speed.
    While I'm not nearly as crazy as Devaclis, I like riding in adverse weather. It provides unique challenges and makes riding that much more fun. I think one of my favorite rides in 2010 was up Mt. Evans in June when it was sleeting, snowy, rainy, foggy... I haven't been that scared and excited on a bike in a long time.

Oh, and a good quality rain suit is worth every penny!

Your bike has a short tailsection though... right? Triumph, Buell, and... what else?
    Yep... the Speed Triple has little to no tail section.

The 1125R's gone, but it also had a relatively short tail. I didn't own this bike long enough to cut off the tail but it would have happened eventually.

The Multistrada is fully stock with the fender, hugger, and rear tire fender thing (I don't know what they call it) and will probably remain this way for the foreseeable future. The Rear fender that hangs down off the bike isn't overly obnoxious and with the hard bags on it, it's barely noticeable.
    Last edited by salsashark; Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 03:08 PM.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Fender eliminators =

Frame sliders =

If you have them both, you're

J/K

My homemade fender eliminator (with prices & pics).

Oh, and I have Intuitive frame sliders (clip-on, frame, clutch, & swingarm).
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

changed the whole look of my bike... 08' cbr 600rr with turn signals from 1974! lol

I put mine on because the stock reflector/plasticness is just terribly fugly. I do make a nice rooster tail at speed now, and that keeps most people off my a** in the rain.

Thanks, that is a 2009. The Tuono didnt get the new engine & chassis until 2006
    Eh, figures. Never actually ridden a Tuono, always have preffered the RSVs, and '04 was the last year they made any real changes to the RSV before the RSV4, which will probably be my next bike.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Dude, was that pic taken of the Tetons? I could swear, I have almost that same pic.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)