Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10% ethanol vs 15% vs motorcycles

10% ethanol vs 15% vs motorcycles

2006 ZX-14 RED Sold
    2008 ZX-14 Midnight Sapphire Blue Metallic (Almost black)

Re: 10% ethanol vs 15% vs motorcycles

I find it hard to believe that motorcycle manufacturers haven't tested their motors with ethanol blends more than E15 for that matter. The trend has been coming for a long time and personally I doubt it will hurt anything.

Kind of like the fear of unleaded fuels that pretty much turned out to be nothing.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

engines had to be changed signifigantly to run on unleaded fuels...hardened valve seats, different valve material, etc.

I'm not going to get started, but corn based ethanol is a complete failure, and I wish the government would stop forcing it on everyone. Maybe I'll just stock up on leaded sunonco @ HPR...mmmm...smells sooo good

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I'm wondering how they would regulate if you are using E15 or not on the vehicle that it supposed to use it.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Corn growers subsidies FTL. Hemp based fuels FTW!

The article doesn't say what specific harm it does to a motor. Someone's bound to come up with an additive, much like they did when leaded gas became scarce.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Yep, the yield on corn based ethanol is pretty weak. I read somewhere that it takes something like 2.5 gallons of petrol to produce 1 gallon of ethanol. On top of that, the more ethanol that is in petrol, the worse gas milage you will get. Corn based ethanol is not the answer... but the ethanol lobby is pretty powerful.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Alcohol fuels should be used for large stationary powere generators where they can be specifically designed for it (alcohol-resistant seals, etc.), and where the distillery (garbage fermentation, etc.) can be located on-premise or nearby. Alcohol is caustic to seals and gaskets, and even the aluminum of your engine. I can see it easily causing damage. In fact, a friend who used to work with Indy cars tells me they start the engines on gasoline, run the alcohol fuel, then at shutdown run the engine again on pure gasoline to get all the alcohol out of the engine and fuel pumps/lines etc. because it's so nasty.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

A couple of the basic problems with this is the ethanol will destroy all natural rubbers in the fuel system. Fuel lines, injector seals, and all carburetor seals. t is also an alcohol based fuel where the correct mixture with air is 9 to 1 (not 14.7 to 1). Therefore, there is a decrease in fuel economy as you will need as much as 1/3 more ethanol versus gasoline to produce the same effect. My final rant about this is I once saw a statistic that said is every inch of agricultural land in this country was converted to grow crops for ethanol production, it would be enough to cover only 7% of our fuel needs.

My .02 on four cents worth of paper.
    Brakes are simply a means for expressing fear.

Even the supporters of E15 say it is only for 2007 and newer vehicles. That makes me wonder what retailer would want to switch as he would be cutting off 80 -90% of his potential customers?

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Even the supporters of E15 say it is only for 2007 and newer vehicles. That makes me wonder what retailer would want to switch as he would be cutting off 80 -90% of his potential customers?
    Excellent point. I have an '01, and I don't want to run that shit.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    engines had to be changed signifigantly to run on unleaded fuels...hardened valve seats, different valve material, etc.
    That's what they said. But I know plenty of engines in autos and small engines that predated the lead fuel debate, running just fine on unleaded. Those design changes/improvements happened anyway and are probably a key reason why we see vehicles turning 400,000 miles.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Best estimates show ~1:1 fuel used to ethanol produced, but the corn lobby is the ethanol lobby, and when I met with these rubes in DC, they actually believe corn is a great solution. I was in a meeting trying not to laugh at the shit that was spewing from their mouths...

even for other alt. fuels, an acre of soybeans yields ~60 gallons of fuel...who in there right mind looks at an acre of land, and a years worth of work as 2 tankfulls in their pickup.

come-on bio-butanol! haha

400,000miles divided by 30mpg = 222acres of soybeans over the life of the vehicle.

that's a lot of realestate. Better get started tearing down those wind towers and plowing fields.

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    Best estimates show ~1:1 fuel used to ethanol produced, but the corn lobby is the ethanol lobby, and when I met with these rubes in DC, they actually believe corn is a great solution. I was in a meeting trying not to laugh at the shit that was spewing from their mouths...

even for other alt. fuels, an acre of soybeans yields ~60 gallons of fuel...who in there right mind looks at an acre of land, and a years worth of work as 2 tankfulls in their pickup.

come-on bio-butanol! haha
    Yeah, it's pathetic that these idiots think it's worth it. The Greens don't believe in the reality of physics, obviously. Now, bio-fuels from fermented garbage is a great idea from what I've read. Hey, it's waste anyways, right?

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Let me introduce you to Captain Obvious:

Bob Greco, spokesman for the American Petroleum Institute, told The Wall Street Journal that by approving E15 without full testing, the EPA is putting "politics before science."
    Since when has the EPA been anything but a political weapon against us?
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    They don't - I saw a station in IA that had three versions of E10(89. 90, and 93), E15, E25(IIRC) E85, diesel, farm diesel, and bio-diesel. It was a fuel buffet!
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Ethanol is a good idea in theory, just in in practice as it currently is. With the problems associated with seals and what not for older vehicles, and the decreased fuel efficiency it's not there. The plus is this is a renewable source of fuel for vehicles, but my understanding is the energy needed to both harvest and process ethanol far outweighs the gain at this point. Who knows what the future holds.

They are just trying a different approach to control the public
    now that gas/oil prices are down
    let's make up some bullshit that the public will believe so we can make more $$$

Quote Originally Posted by R1NORI View Post
    They are just trying a different approach to control the public
    now that gas/oil prices are down
    let's make up some bullshit that the public will believe so we can make more $$$

The single biggest benefit to corn ethanol is that it's all produced right here; no shipping our money overseas.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post

The single biggest benefit to corn ethanol is that it's all produced right here; no shipping our money overseas.
    Regardless, the energy out of the process vs the energy in to the process makes it a huge mistake. Anything that takes more energy than it produces is just stupid.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I own a few small engine shops and 10% ethanol fuels have been hell for these engines. Cant wait to see the problems that arise with the 15%. All of the manufactures, say not to use any fuel over 10% ethanol in the owners manuals now. Between the regulations on the fuels and the regulations on the engines. They are making it very tough to keep these engines running. Its great for the repair department. Keeps stuff coming in. It gets old, explaining to the average homeowner why his new machine is so much harder to keep running then his 15 year old mower was.
    Danny

One of these Ethanol execs just got caught slipping millions "secretly" to some Republican special interest money laundering factory. Yay for America! and rich people everywhere!
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Found it:

Bruce Rastetter the original money behind American Future Fund
    The American Future Fund, a conservative organization based in Iowa, has been one of the more active players in this fall’s campaigns, spending millions of dollars on ads attacking Democrats across the country. It has not hesitated to take credit for its attacks, issuing press releases with headlines like “AFF Launches TV Ads in 13 States Targeting Liberal Politicians.”

Like many of the other groups with anodyne names engaged in the battle to control Congress, it does not have to identify its donors, keeping them — and their possible motivations — shrouded from the public.

But interviews found that the group was started with seed money from at least one influential Iowa businessman: Bruce Rastetter, a co-founder and the chief executive of one of the nation’s larger ethanol companies, Hawkeye Energy Holdings, and a rising force in state Republican politics. And hints of a possible agenda emerge from a look at the politicians on the American Future Fund’s hit list. Most have seats on a handful of legislative committees with a direct say in the ethanol industry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/us.../12donate.html

GO Republicans! And +1 for special interests!
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Found it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/us.../12donate.html

GO Republicans! And +1 for special interests!
    This might be credible if the NY Times served as anything more than a Leftist Pawn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y8tzEmhm1o
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000