Thread: Permanent Fiberglass or Plastic Sealer / Protectant (a la Armorall) ??

Permanent Fiberglass or Plastic Sealer / Protectant (a la Armorall) ??

I recently scored a 1700 cubic foot Thule roof box on Craigslist on the super cheaps. It works perfectly, and is still waterproof, but has definitely seen it's fair share of road miles. The original "sheen" is totally worn off, and the box is dull and windblown.

I put a coat of Armorall on it, but as expected, it has worn off after a few days and a good drive in a soft rain. So I am wondering, is there any type of product, short of a Krylon or Rustoleum spray-on sealer, that will provide a hard seal and shiny surface? I dig the whipe-on application of Armorall, and am hoping there is some kind of similar product (maybe epoxy based?) that will dry hard -- but maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part.

Am I stuck with spray can products? Any thoughts/recommendations?

Re: Permanent Fiberglass or Plastic Sealer / Protectant (a la Armorall) ??

a couple layers of clearcoat?
    '95 Suziki GSXF 600 (Katana) (sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka. Black Betty) Thunder Grey (Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Quote Originally Posted by Depths_of_Mind View Post
    a couple layers of clearcoat?
    I was hoping to avoid spray-cans and/or brush applied stuff. But I guess it's my only option.

Merr.

There's a product called back to black. When I was into the whole Jeep scene, the Wrangler guys loved it for their faded fender flares and swore by this stuff. I don't think it's that pricey and you can find it at local auto parts stores. In the end, you may be stuck with something like a clear coat though.

there may be other temp solutions, like the armor-all, but I would just go ahead and clear the thing

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

I used a fiberglass cleaner/protectant on my travel trailer and it has done wonders. It cleaned off all the oxidation that had occured and then put a barrier on it to protect it from futher damage. It even took off tree sap that had been dripping on the unit for the last 5 years from where it was parked. I'm sure you could source it at any RV supply house. It worked kinda like the old Honda polish, cleaned all the crap off and left a nice sheen behind. Looks like brand new.Thats my 2 cents.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

If it is fiberglass ,I would call any boat place and ask them . I would bet to say it will be clear coat though.

i would try to avoid clear coat it will most likely chip or peel look into that back to black!

I heard about this stuff on another forum. It's called "New Black"
    http://showroomnewproducts.com/_mgxroot/page_10772.html
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

FWIW your box isn't made of fiberglass, it's a thermoplastic, and can be protected with products, like armorall. I would not clearcoat it as the box flexes a lot in travel and the clear will just crack

Back to black works well and you can wax it with car wax if you want

If you clear it, most companies (Krylon, RustOLeum) have come out with some really great performing paints for plastic that not only bond really well but flex with the structure. I'd still try other products first but you do have that option.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I heard about this stuff on another forum. It's called "New Black"
    http://showroomnewproducts.com/_mgxroot/page_10772.html
    Ooo... that looks like it may be JUST what I'm looking for. Thanks!

And thanks everyone for the creative ideas - I appreciate it. word.