Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best beginner bike?

Re: Best beginner bike?

my plan was to take the MSF at ACC. is there a better choice I'm unaware of?
    To the best of my recollection, I must recall on my memory, I cannot remember.

When I bought my first bike back in 05 I was one of those jackass Marines buying a bike right after a deployment because I had a ton of cash to blow. I was also about your size. Thankfully I had an experienced friend there to help make sure I didn't screw the pooch.

Bottom line is get what you are comfortable on. Sit on EVERY bike within your price range. See what fits you best. I would recommend staying with a 750 or lower. Most people will tell you to stick with a 600. But in CO a 750 is basically a 600 unless you get some work done on it. I went from a 600RR to a GSX-r 1k to a GSX-r 750 and then a GSX-r 600 (I still have the last two).

I know guys that have picked up a liter bike for their first bike and been fine. It all depends on you and your personalty. Comfort is a big thing though.

Oh and my thoughts on a 250. Fun bike for the track but as a guy the first time you go on a group ride and get left in the dust because everyone rips the throttle and takes off on you, you will want a larger bike. At least with a 600 you will not be totally crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
    my plan was to take the MSF at ACC. is there a better choice I'm unaware of?
    MSF, from my understanding, is basically the same everywhere. The only difference will be the instructors themselves. I am sure some guys on here know instructors and can point you in the right direction. I know a GREAT team in Cali if you wanna go out there for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL4LIFE!! View Post
    Oh and my thoughts on a 250. Fun bike for the track but as a guy the first time you go on a group ride and get left in the dust because everyone rips the throttle and takes off on you, you will want a larger bike. At least with a 600 you will not be totally crushed.
    If you are getting crushed on a small bike on group rides it is because of two reasons, 1 you don't have the skills to ride fast in the corners or the throttle jockeys are pinning it in the straights. Both of which will happen on big bikes too as a beginner. Unfortunately too many people actually worry about it and try to make up time with the power and end up eating shit. I have no problem hanging with group rides and on occasion lead the ride and can put space between me and a group. A small bike requires you to learn how to ride the bike and not the motor. A 250 will teach you more about how to ride in a shorter time than any full size superbike can and when your ready to move up you will be able to sell it for basically what you bought it for, assuming you buy used. Or race prep it and run it in the ninja 250 cup (another reason it will hold it's value).

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    If you are getting crushed on a small bike on group rides it is because of two reasons, 1 you don't have the skills to ride fast in the corners or the throttle jockeys are pinning it in the straights. Both of which will happen on big bikes too as a beginner. Unfortunately too many people actually worry about it and try to make up time with the power and end up eating shit. I have no problem hanging with group rides and on occasion lead the ride and can put space between me and a group. A small bike requires you to learn how to ride the bike and not the motor. A 250 will teach you more about how to ride in a shorter time than any full size superbike can and when your ready to move up you will be able to sell it for basically what you bought it for, assuming you buy used. Or race prep it and run it in the ninja 250 cup (another reason it will hold it's value).
    +100

I see way too many new riders become dependant on the throttle. Sure, anyone can go WOT on a bike in a straight line. When you come up to a turn, you then park it on the brakes and rely on power to get you moving again coming out. With a smaller bike, you learn to use less brakes and get on the throttle earlier then on a 1000cc.
    Casey D

But you can't do 0-60 in 2.6 seconds on a 250!

Just kidding. I've been riding off and on for years, and I've been on some big bikes, but my 1k RSV grabs me by the balls and threatens my manhood every time I open that throttle. Liters and even most 600s are NOT for the feint at heart. That sort of power sobers you up real quick when you can fly past 100+ mph in 1st gear.

Doubly so when you touch the brakes and slam to an instant stop and smash your manhood against the tank.

Did that on my first ride on the bike, only doin about 25, coming up to a stop, squeezed with what I thought was very little pressure, and stopped just as quick as if I had hit a wall. Thankfully I didn't drop her, but it was an eye opening experience, to say the least. Them Brembo's got some serious stopping power.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Best advice I've heard for a new rider. Buy used, buy cheap... learn how to ride it, learn your limits, then move on.

Everyone's so hung up on cc's... While I'm not condoning running out and jumping on a busa as a first bike. IMO, if you're going to kill yourself on a bike, you'll be able to do it just fine on any cc: 250, 600, 1000, 1300, etc.......

Find what you like, what you're comfortable riding, and call it good.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

+1 on used and cheap. I'm of the camp that says it's a good thing to drop a motorcycle or two while learning, so you know what it feels like to lose a rear in a turn, or lock up a rear and then let off the brake for an awesome tank slappin high side. On a used and cheap bike, you won't shed any tears, or probably spend too much money fixing the thing, other than just picking it up and riding away on it.

Just don't go cheap on gear. #1 place NOT to skimp.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

If anybody thinks that you need a 1000 to keep up with people, come out to HPR during an MRA race and watch Josh Galster on his kawi 6.

I started on a 95 CBR 600 F3. Moved up to an R1, then to an R6, then to a GSXR-600.

I am getting my wife an SV650 next summer.

I second Salsa - buy cheap and used. Ride that beat bike proudly until you're comfortable. My first bike was an 02 (or 03 - can't remember) CBR F2 or something....see, bottom line it doesn't matter. It had been crashed, it rode like a couch, it apparently wasn't straight to the road when going straight but I learned to ride. I fell down once, picked it back up and rode it home with bent levers - replaced the levers and kept going.

A year later the beater bike was parted out rather than have some other poor rookie ride it and I got a new one. Now I ride an SV650. I'm still on a rather rookie bike - but it's light, there's no fairings, the power isn't crazy but I'm no where near the bike's potential (and probably never will be).

If you've never ridden (which it sounds like is the case) my advice is to take the MSF class. Once you've done that - spent 16+ hrs on a little honda 250(that's what I had) maybe you'll have a better idea what you want. IMO - drop 1K to 2K on your first bike. Ride it until you feel like you can ride really anything - then go buy what you really want. Chances are by then what you really want has changed a few times.

That's my rookie $0.02
    First, the only person you have anything to prove to is yourself. Second, you can watch life with your nose pressed up against the glass. Or you can swing the doors open and step inside.

[QUOTE=cdbouncer;526705] IMO - drop 1K to 2K on your first bike. Ride it until you feel like you can ride really anything - then go buy what you really want. Chances are by then what you really want has changed a few times.
    QUOTE]

Starting with an older bike that if you drop it you don't care about is a good move. When I got my first bike it was brand new. I spent more time worrying about not dropping it than learning how to ride. Pick up a cheap bike and then resell it a year or two later to get some of your money back and then get the bike you really like.... speaking of which I have an 01 Kawi ZX-6 sitting in my garage. just saying...

People see moving to a larger bike as moving "up." The only thing you're moving "up" in is engine size. It's not like there's a hierarchy of riders that you climb based on your bike's cc's or that anybody who's ridden for more than a week will respect you more for having a larger bike. I'm 5'8"-5'9", 170 lbs and I'll never "need" anything larger than a 600cc engine. In fact, I don't even "need" the one I've got. I've been riding 5 years and I ride just about every day. My 600 is more bike than I'll ever need.

Like others said, don't get hung up on size because, while it seems like there's a bigger difference between a 250 ninja and a 500 ninja or GS500 than there is between a 500 & a 600RR/zx-6r/gsxr/r6, that 100cc difference doesn't address the vast horsepower difference.

Ninja 250 (250cc) = 25 HP ish
    Ninja 500 (500cc) = 50 HP ish
    Ninja ZX-6R (600cc) = 100 HP

Whatever you get, enjoy your ride and don't ride to "catch up" with others. Gotta tell ya that I've been on plenty of rides where larger bikes smoke me on the straights only to have me right up their asses at the next corner. Ride the pace (use the search function to look it up) and find a bike that's comfortable for you.

Before this turns into a 9 page epic thread on the everyone's feelings about "beginner" bikes, use the search function to find the OTHER 9 page threads on the exact same topic. There's at least one a year back to the dawn of time...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

To kind of expand on Buellers post, if you are riding a 250 and getting crushed on the straights, and you're frantically trying to keep up.......you're breaking the cardinal rule: "ride your OWN ride". You'll get there when you get there, and if the other guys aren't assholes, there'll be a an experienced sweeper behind you to make sure you make it anyways.

Also, in reference to the 250 thing, it's true a good rider can do very well against a dork on a 1k.....but it also depends very much on the road. On a tight road, for sure (though I saw Terra on his ZX10 flat smoke everyone on smaller bikes at IMI so go figure....), but if you're doing big uphill sweepers etc., well, not so much. A perfect example; my buddy Doug (modified BMW 1100RS) who's an excellent rider and used to endurance race in WERA with the big dogs, we did IMI together for my first trackday. And, on that track, we were pretty evenly matched because I couldn't really get the power down effectively there, plus I think because of my vision issues, I wasn't going hard enough on the tighter corners. But, on the longer rides where there are any long uphill climbs or big sweepers, (like Walden to Ft. Collins thru the Poudre and other similar rides) I always end up leaving him behind. And, if you ever plan on any high-altitude rides, up hills, with a passenger, well, an SV650 might be a better choice. You've stated you're 170lbs, which is larger than the norm. As a 215lb 6'1" "plus-sized" bastard, I like the extra power when I need or want it.

Sounds like you're approaching street riding with a good plan, and good attitude, so good for you. I hope you have a LONG, safe riding experience. It's been 27+ great years for me, and counting and I don't regret any of it. It's provided me with some of my best memories ever.....
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Hey mods, I got an idea: since this type of thread ALWAYS gets rehashed from time to time, can we please merge all these threads into a single thread, and make it a sticky? That way, the FNG's don't need to be told "do a search, noob!", and it's right there as a collection of good info for them.

Thanks!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    (though I saw Terra on his ZX10 flat smoke everyone on smaller bikes at IMI so go figure....)
    Dunno that this is the best example...

You've stated you're 170lbs, which is larger than the norm.
    The norm for what? MotoGP? I think a lot of guys that I know that ride that are around or heavier than that, but not many that are lighter. Most of the lighter ones are actual racers too
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

All this 250 talk is crazy! I started out on '72 Suzuki TS125

I would agree with cheap, used, AND comfortable (to you phisically and your ability) for your first bike. Something that won't make you cry when you drop it (aka Duc) but something you can still enjoy yourself on. I've had 250's and liter bikes... all are motorcycle bliss. A would also second the motion of just going to sit on every bike you can find. Figure out what you like then go for it. The best beginner bike for you is the one you get
    --- Jack

Don't ever confuse having a career with having a life.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Dunno that this is the best example...

Ummm, I don't see why not. IMI is about as tight as you'll find anywhere, and should be a good example of a smaller bike beating a larger bike (the MotoGP 250's and sometimes even the 125's have/had higher cornering speed than the MotoGP bikes).

The norm for what? MotoGP? I think a lot of guys that I know that ride that are around or heavier than that, but not many that are lighter. Most of the lighter ones are actual racers too
    I seem to remember that bike manufacturers design for an "average" rider around 159-160lbs. I'm way over that, and even Jelly is a little larger than the norm. And, in fact, I'll bet a Ninja 250, for instance, is set up for even smaller riders (in height and weight) than that as it's designed as a beginner bike to be ridden lightly and not hard (further affecting spring and damping rates).
    Oh, and getting a small dirtbike would be a GREAT idea too. Nothing teaches you bike control and how to instinctively react when sliding either or both ends like a dirtbike. And, for the guaranteed endo, they're easy to pick up, dust off, and fix if needed.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

given your size, I'd go with a dual sport or a sumo. The taller seat height and "dirt bike" ergos will probably be more comfortable than a 250. On my recently deceased 250 I raised the rear over 2" and I could still stand over the bike, and I'm only ~5'12"

the gearing of the sumo will still make it feel quicker, enough to zip around on, but still not have too much power where it might get you in trouble. Also, if you drop a sumo...its a dirt bike...who cares!

the 250's are fun, but you really have to wind them out to get them going

I have an RZ350 for sale that would make an outstanding beginner bike!!

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ighlight=rz350
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Another awesome beginner ... er.. hooligan.. bike.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...489#post526489
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Anything less than a 1000cc is a waste of a motorcycle. This is perfect for a beginner!
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=36158

(just kidding)