Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast

Thread: *** The Photography Thread ***

Re: *** The Photography Thread ***

Canon 5D3 specs and photos starting to dribble out before tonight's big announcement party...

Unsurpassed Image Quality
    22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor
    DIGIC 5+ Image Processor
    ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400
    Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600)

High Performance Operation
    61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)
    6.0 fps for high continuous shooting
    Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage
    3.2-type, approx.1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II
    iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor
    Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles

High end features
    Silent & low vibration modes
    Dual card slots (CF & SD)
    High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode
    Multiple Exposures
    Comparative Playback function
    Improved durability & water and dust resistance

Available Colours – Black
    Megapixels – 22MP
    Sensor Size – 36 x 24mm
    ISO/Sensitivity – 100 – 25600
    Autofocus Points – 61 points
    Lens Mount – Canon
    LCD Size – 3.2″
    Liveview – Yes
    Viewfinder – Optical TTL
    Min Shutter Speed – 30 sec
    Max Shutter Speed – 1/8000 sec
    Continuous Shooting Speed – 6 fps
    Self Timer – 10 sec, 2 sec
    Metering – Centre-weighted, Spot, Evaluative, Partial
    Video Resolution – Full HD 1080
    Memory Type – Compact Flash
    Connectivity – USB 2, HDMI, Mic Input, Wireless (optional)
    Battery – LP-E6
    Battery Type – Lithium-ion
    Charger – Includes Li-Ion Charger
    File Formats – AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4
    Dimensions – 152 x 116 x 76mm
    Box Contents – Battery Pack LP-E6 .. Battery Charger LC-E6 .. AV Cable AVC-DC400ST .. Interface Cable IFC-200U .. Eyecup Eg .. Wide Strap EWEOS5DMKIII .. CR1616 Lithium Battery+

http://www.akphotodenver.com/2012/03...-specs-posted/
    WANT!

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

VERY Nice!!!! But what's the price point going to be? $3k?
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    VERY Nice!!!! But what's the price point going to be? $3k?
    Yes, rumors are $3k - $3500... I guess we'll have to wait until tonight to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    Yes, rumors are $3k - $3500... I guess we'll have to wait until tonight to find out.
    Sadly way out of my range considering I only do a couple weddings and a few senior portrait sessions a year. Looks like the 7D will still be the next new body for me.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

You know... I'm not sure I've ever posted any of my stuff up here.

Well here's a few from my latest shoot I'm particularly proud of:

Damn -- very impressive! Great stuff Vance!!!

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

Nice shots, on the mark3 ..... I love canon

Quote Originally Posted by Fumet5uNo View Post
    Nice shots, on the mark3 ..... I love canon
    Agreed.

Canon's high ISO performance is bar none. That's my main hope with this body - that the ISO improvements match the 5D to 5D2 progression, where 6400 looked like 1600. Shooting at 6400 with images clean enough for prints at events, parties and wedding receptions is a life saver. If they can make the same jump and get clean images at ISO 25k... heck, this 5D3 will be a real game changer in digital photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Matheo View Post
    Ok guys, go easy on me lol.

This is my first attempt at photography and editing. Just picked up a Cannon 350D and decided to try my hand at some shooting. Pretty much took 3 shots at different exposures and then edited everything in photomatix. Please critique and let me know what ya think. I am VERY new to photography and dont even know how to use this damn camera yet, but im super stoked i finally got a semi-decent one to learn with.

Looking good, i like this shot.

Very nice!

Just did this one. Its a non-HDR. Edited in lightroom then exported to photomatix.

-K7 GSXR 1000-
    Few goodies here and there
    10.03 @ 147 1.74 60'

Just did this one. Its a non-HDR. Edited in lightroom then exported to photomatix.
    Why the export to Photomatix if no HDR work? Lightroom is very powerful - for standard edits it may be all you need.

Also - FYI - LR4 free beta is currently available for download from the Adobe website.

I'm beginning to think hdr is overused. You go on G+ and it's on everything. Why bother learning proper exposure when you can fix it in post.
    Last edited by asp_125; Thu Mar 1st, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Why the export to Photomatix if no HDR work? Lightroom is very powerful - for standard edits it may be all you need.

Also - FYI - LR4 free beta is currently available for download from the Adobe website.
    I used the "compression" thing in photomatix to change it a little. Is that a mistake? I heard your one of the big go to guys when it comes to photography! Teach me your ways gypsy!!
    -K7 GSXR 1000-
    10.03 @ 147 1.74 60'

looks good Matheo..i can see scuffs or water marks on the M4.

I used the "compression" thing in photomatix to change it a little. Is that a mistake? I heard your one of the big go to guys when it comes to photography! Teach me your ways gypsy!!
    I dunno about being a "go to guy", as there are plenty of skilled and talented photographers here in the CSC community (Mother Goose, Vance, ASP, etc. - just to name a few). But I'd be happy to share my thoughts...

If you're not doing extensive HDR work, there's no reason to double your processing up by moving to Photomatix for a little compression. Some of the looks achieved with the basic Photomatix presets (on a single image) can be done just the same in Lightroom - as long as you know what you're doing.

I just try to minimize exporting-importing and re-exporting, as there is a potential for image degradation with every step of file saving. While I agree with ASP that HDR is getting a little too "common", it is what drove me into digital photography a few years back - so I can't totally dismiss it. I started with off-the-wall Photomatix creations, and began toning things down. I took the time to learn the nuances of Lightroom, the specifics of histograms and tone curves, and kind of developed my own style from there.

I've had disagreements with many, even on this board, with my own post-processing techniques, but that's kind of the joy of digital photography... you get to find what fits your personality... and it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks. Does it really matter if some one disagrees with your approach? As long as the fundamentals of your photography are sound - you should be confident to edit the images as you see fit.

On the flip side, some people are real purists, and preach "if you can't do it with film, you shouldn't do it with a computer". Personally, I think that's a pretty arrogant and close-minded approach. Would a painter only work with a certain set of brushes and paints, would a charcoal artist limit himself to a specific set of papers, pencils and blenders? Do artists ignore innovations and progressions in creativity? Hardly. I think it's quite the opposite - artists are always looking at new ways to interpret their visions, and computers are just another aid to that process of creativity.

I think a lot of the negativity surrounding computer editing is based on the incorrect assumption that "photoshopping" is a 5-10 minute process that allows for "simple" and "quick" edits that distort the reality of what was captured in an image. I think that cannot be farther from the truth, as I've spent days - even weeks - on a single image getting it prepped for print as a fine art piece. Do those edits sometimes alter the "reality" of the image? Sure - but those edits help me present the image as I see it - and that's the entire purpose of art: individual creative expression. Who wrote the rule that every photograph has to be a 100% accurate depiction?

While the basics of photography (such as proper exposure, composition, etc.) are tantamount, I see no problem with creative license in post-processing. In closing I'll say this - learn the basics, learn the importance of histograms, exposure and composition. Really take the time to learn Lightroom (there are TONS of great tutorials on YouTube), and as your knowledge increases, you'll find that the opportunities and creative potential for your photography will be limitless.

Keep the photos coming - you're off to a killer start!

Thumbs up Re: *** The Photography Thread ***

Agreed.

Canon's high ISO performance is bar none. That's my main hope with this body - that the ISO improvements match the 5D to 5D2 progression, where 6400 looked like 1600. Shooting at 6400 with images clean enough for prints at events, parties and wedding receptions is a life saver. If they can make the same jump and get clean images at ISO 25k... heck, this 5D3 will be a real game changer in digital photography.
    Maybe is time to sell the 7d & xs and go to a mark

Maybe is time to sell the 7d & xs and go to a mark
    Is your glass compatible with the full frame series?
    That, besides cost, is why I can't upgrade to that series --- it'd make all my glass obsolete instantly. That would be a waste of a lot of money IMO.

I dunno about being a "go to guy", as there are plenty of skilled and talented photographers here in the CSC community (Mother Goose, Vance, ASP, etc. - just to name a few).
    Geez thanks sir! I guess maybe I need to post more stuff now and then huh?

No clue at this point have heard yes, any clue Ak?

I dunno about being a "go to guy", as there are plenty of skilled and talented photographers here in the CSC community (Mother Goose, Vance, ASP, etc. - just to name a few). But I'd be happy to share my thoughts...

If you're not doing extensive HDR work, there's no reason to double your processing up by moving to Photomatix for a little compression. Some of the looks achieved with the basic Photomatix presets (on a single image) can be done just the same in Lightroom - as long as you know what you're doing.

I just try to minimize exporting-importing and re-exporting, as there is a potential for image degradation with every step of file saving. While I agree with ASP that HDR is getting a little too "common", it is what drove me into digital photography a few years back - so I can't totally dismiss it. I started with off-the-wall Photomatix creations, and began toning things down. I took the time to learn the nuances of Lightroom, the specifics of histograms and tone curves, and kind of developed my own style from there.

I've had disagreements with many, even on this board, with my own post-processing techniques, but that's kind of the joy of digital photography... you get to find what fits your personality... and it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks. Does it really matter if some one disagrees with your approach? As long as the fundamentals of your photography are sound - you should be confident to edit the images as you see fit.

On the flip side, some people are real purists, and preach "if you can't do it with film, you shouldn't do it with a computer". Personally, I think that's a pretty arrogant and close-minded approach. Would a painter only work with a certain set of brushes and paints, would a charcoal artist limit himself to a specific set of papers, pencils and blenders? Do artists ignore innovations and progressions in creativity? Hardly. I think it's quite the opposite - artists are always looking at new ways to interpret their visions, and computers are just another aid to that process of creativity.

I think a lot of the negativity surrounding computer editing is based on the incorrect assumption that "photoshopping" is a 5-10 minute process that allows for "simple" and "quick" edits that distort the reality of what was captured in an image. I think that cannot be farther from the truth, as I've spent days - even weeks - on a single image getting it prepped for print as a fine art piece. Do those edits sometimes alter the "reality" of the image? Sure - but those edits help me present the image as I see it - and that's the entire purpose of art: individual creative expression. Who wrote the rule that every photograph has to be a 100% accurate depiction?

While the basics of photography (such as proper exposure, composition, etc.) are tantamount, I see no problem with creative license in post-processing. In closing I'll say this - learn the basics, learn the importance of histograms, exposure and composition. Really take the time to learn Lightroom (there are TONS of great tutorials on YouTube), and as your knowledge increases, you'll find that the opportunities and creative potential for your photography will be limitless.

Keep the photos coming - you're off to a killer start!
    Awesome! Thanks for the input. I went to barnes and nobles today trying to find a solid xxx for dummies but there were so many to choose from. Any recommendations on where to start with reading literature?

Was bored, and i cant keep my hands off my camera so i whipped her out. After trying to find something to shoot i decided to try and capture a semi decent image of my watch haha. Used a black sheet of my bed and my iphone's flashlight for lighting. Not quite what i was trying to do but the best that I could come up with with such limited resources.

-K7 GSXR 1000-
    10.03 @ 147 1.74 60'

Lol I know that feeling sometimes U just can't put them down
    Last edited by Fumet5uNo; Thu Mar 1st, 2012 at 09:38 PM.

No clue at this point have heard yes, any clue Ak?
    I feel like I missed a part... clue on what?

PS: CanonRumors.com's live stream watch party just crashed because of the server load. Guess I just gotta wait until midnight (eastern) for the official specs to drop. Just 21 minutes to go!!!!

If ef-s lens work with mark series