Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about making the jump to a liter...

Thinking about making the jump to a liter...

So I'm saving up some money for a new bike and the 06 and later CBR1000's are really appealing to me (especially the 06 in blue/yellow ). As you can see from my sig, I've been through a bunch of bikes in my 3 years of riding. Test rode an 08 ZX-10 a few months ago and not only did I feel like a giant on it at 6'2, it also felt underpowered. I've sat on a few CBR's and they seem to fit the bill with ergonomics, plus I've just always been more comfortable on Honda's. So for you folks with liter bikes, why did you get them?
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Re: Thinking about making the jump to a liter...

Because only guys who are manly enough for liter bikes get the chicks
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

It's really all a matter of preference. Back in the day the different between a 600 and a 1000 was a lot more relevant than it is today. The only thing I really notice is that it's actually a lot more difficult/uncomfortable to ride a 1000 at slower speeds than a 600, but a lot of that is hardly any different than what you would notice between two different 600s that might be geared differently. It can be pretty annoying to have to feather the clutch just about anytime you're doing under 20-25 Mph, and you can just about get around anywhere in 1st gear if you throttle it out. But, when I open that baby up it takes off like you wouldn't believe, which is really why we all ride supersports in the first place...

Liters might be somewhat less practical, and in all honestly I might have gotten something smaller if I hadn't found the awesome deal on the liter I picked up (and doubly so because it's a V-Twin, which makes it twice as awesome )

On the flip side though, I don't think I'd get anything bigger. I rode a buddies Hayabusa once and didn't like it. Not only did I think it was ugly but it just felt big. Sure, it was fast enough to make me crap my pants, but my RSV gets me there on the street anyway, and its smaller and turns better.

So, go with what fits. Ride a few, see what you like and most importantly what gets you off, which is the whole reason you're considering a liter and not an mx in the first place...
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Oh, and it can do wheelies, at any speed, in any gear...
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Seriously, though, 10 years ago it seemed you had to make a choice between a light, nimble 600, or a heavier but more powerful liter bike. Todays liter bikes are both better and worse. Better in that they are nearly identical size and weight wise to their little brothers. Worse in that the extra power coupled with the small size and light weight makes them less forgiving. Traction control helps even some of that out, but not all.

It doesn't look like you're a Suzuki guy, which is fine, but you should at least sit on an 09 GSXR1000. Feels more like a 600 than some 600's I've ridden!

Good luck with your decision!

**Edit - FWIW, I've ridden and raced 600's, 750's and 1000's. Current race bike (below) is an 08 R1.
    Last edited by The GECCO; Fri Dec 3rd, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

The new liter bikes are almost as light as the middleweights these days. So the handling question is moot. One nice thing (besides the power) is the liters make for much less shifting due to the broader torque range, kind of like the twins. If you want to pass, just roll on instead of downshifting.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

hmmmm my first motorcycle was a 600 v-twin that felt like it was going to explode every time I got near highway speeds.

I then moved up and never felt the need go back down
    900 -> 1100 -> 1050 -> 1352 -> 1050 ---------> ?
    --------------------------------1125 -> 1198 -> ?

I think it depends on what you want and how you ride.

For me, doing long miles on a 600 sounds like absolute horror. I don't want to have to ride around all day keeping the rpm's up in case I want to pass. With the larger cc engines, there's no real worry, just go. Also, larger bikes typically have more relaxed ergos which, for me, is extremely important seeing as how I'd rather do some sport-touring over track days any day.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    The new liter bikes are almost as light as the middleweights these days. So the handling question is moot. One nice thing (besides the power) is the liters make for much less shifting due to the broader torque range, kind of like the twins. If you want to pass, just roll on instead of downshifting.
    +1

One thing I LOVE about my RSV is I can be in 2nd gear, 60-65 at like 4500 RPM, and that throttle goes up to 10.5 before it redlines. So, I can cruise FAST, at low RPM, without screaming the throttle in traffic, and if I want to pass, a little throttle and im doing 80+ in the same gear at closer to 8000 RPM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Downside.. insurance might be more than a 600 depending who you go thru.

Personally I think a 750-800 is about the perfect balance between nimble sportbike and big motor hooligan. Just waiting for the factories to bring back the 750cc class. But with MotoGP going back to the liters I doubt I'll get my wish.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    Because only guys who are manly enough for liter bikes get the chicks
    ^^^ THIS!!

I have a liter bike because I'm a huge bitch. I'm 6'-2" 220lbs, so the extra power is nice, especially when I have my girlfriend on the back. Plus, having 160hp at the wheel can be fun.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I'll be on a liter bike for the first time this year. After 4 years of racing 600's I've decided to step up.

Hopefully, I go faster lol
    Casey D

Suzuki is the best all the magazines say they are and they look so cool. So awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by ddalhill View Post
    Suzuki is the best all the magazines say they are and they look so cool. So awesome!

HAHA... suzuki owners!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalhill View Post

Haha your comment made me think about this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlUUt...layer_embedded
    Casey D

Wow.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I am glad someone was with me on my inane post...

Literbikes will go faster, for sure, but I think the engine configuration makes a bigger difference than pure hp. Sure, the I-4 160+ hp engines can haul, but you can't get that power until you're halfway up the tach and above the speed limit (think 1st gear on the highway). However, my 90hp v-twin makes a crap-ton of power below the speed limit in most cases, so I think I get to use the 1200cc power more than most 1000cc I-4 riders would.

It depends on what you're looking for, but you'll definitely go faster on a literbike regardless of the engine configuration.

+1 to the no shifting to pass on literbikes. that's nice. I do miss that when riding my 600, but again I think that's more a characteristic of I-4s, not V-2s.
    -Ryan

What means "speed limit"?
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

well according to a dyno on a 2008 cbr 1000 with 160hp, to get to the point where you are at 80% of your max hp (128hp), you'll need to be at 9,000rpm and going 65mph in 1st gear.
    http://www.gearingcommander.com/

I guess if you are entering the highway, you'd have a few seconds where you are getting the most out of that engine in 1st gear without warranting a performance award from the po-po.

for comparison purposes:
    2008 cbr1000, 80% power at 9krpm and 65mph
    2007 ZX6r, 80% power is 10.8krpm and 58mph
    2006 buell 1200cc, 80% power is 4,8krpm and 36mph
    Last edited by drago52; Fri Dec 3rd, 2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: comparos
    -Ryan

My first liter bike was in 1983, a Honda CB1100F and the reasons I bought that bike then has nothing to do with the reasons I buy liter bikes now. (Chics)

The technology from then to now is completely different. Most 600’s today can smoke and liter bike 15 years ago from top end to cornering.

Basically you want a bigger bike to be more comfortable and have the power where you want it. My Blackbird can still keep up with them, there new fangled 600’s in the canyons because of the way you can use its power curve. My advice is to sit on them all, one will jump out as your next ride.

MRA Racer No.427

Because only girls who are womanly enough for liter bikes get the dudes
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Quote Originally Posted by drago52 View Post
    well according to a dyno on a 2008 cbr 1000 with 160hp, to get to the point where you are at 80% of your max hp (128hp), you'll need to be at 9,000rpm and going 65mph in 1st gear.
    http://www.gearingcommander.com/

I guess if you are entering the highway, you'd have a few seconds where you are getting the most out of that engine in 1st gear without warranting a performance award from the po-po.

for comparison purposes:
    2008 cbr1000, 80% power at 9krpm and 65mph
    2007 ZX6r, 80% power is 10.8krpm and 58mph
    2006 buell 1200cc, 80% power is 4,8krpm and 36mph
    1st gear? Getting onto the highway? I'm usually in 3rd and have plenty of power to spare.

According to that website and my gearing, I should be going 58.4mph when 80% of HP (128.) and 100% of my torque (77) is at the ground... in 1st gear. That's not even highway speed yet. But then again, I didn't get my bike tuned in 1st gear, so who knows what that looks like. I'm going off a 4th gear pull and tune.

And to add to this... I've always wanted an RC-51. So I'm not an I-4 nut hugger.
    Last edited by Mother Goose; Fri Dec 3rd, 2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

you are at sea level now...a 600 will be a different machine down there...my pig triumph used to power wheelie with ease in 2nd and third down there <stupid altitude>

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I'm usually in 3rd and have plenty of power to spare.
    exactly, exactly. you'll have a chance to use that power once you reach warp speed.
    -Ryan