Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorai Batteries?

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Shorai Batteries?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with Shorai batteries? They've been advertising a lot lately and they are VERY light and supposedly last a long time. They weigh less than 2 lbs.

I'm thinking I want one of these for the Speed Triple but they're not cheap ($129.95 for the standard replacement or $153.95 for the stronger one).

Any opinions?

Thanks,
    G

Re: Shorai Batteries

Here's a link to another site with a review. D'Ecosse really seems to know his stuff and I trust him input when buying anything electrical. He seemed to like it and did his testing in a Daytona.

Re: Shorai Batteries?

Very cool, nice to see some real world usage and not just advertising jargon. I think I'm going to give it a shot, probably go for the extra beefy one (only 3 oz heavier than the standard replacement version).

Thanks for the link!
    G

One more question, if anyone knows...

This is a lithium battery and not lead-acid. I guess you just use it until it discharges and then chuck it. I take it you can't use a Battery Tender with it?

I wonder if it really lasts longer than a lead-acid battery if you religiously use a Battery Tender with the lead-acid battery?

It's rechargeable

Even better. Thanks Bueller!
    G

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

<---You only Colorado dealer! Look for them to be in stock at our store soon! 2lbs vs @ 8lbs so there is some significant weight savings.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

they seem pretty legit i think i will probably pick one up.

here is a thread of someone that actually ordered it and even has a little info on cold weather usage.
    hope it helps

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=97333

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    <---You only Colorado dealer! Look for them to be in stock at our store soon! 2lbs vs @ 8lbs so there is some significant weight savings.
    Interested

First order is going in today. We should have the more popular models in stock this week. If you're looking to get one for your bike let me know and I'll get it on the first order!

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Re: Shorai Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    Here's a link to another site with a review. D'Ecosse really seems to know his stuff and I trust him input when buying anything electrical. He seemed to like it and did his testing in a Daytona.
    D'Ecosse really know his shit...

and DK, you da man! Im guessing their physical size is based on standard Yuasa sizes or something, even though the pn's don't obviously cross over

^Correct, we're bringing in a few extra's as well for the late model sport bikes. We should have them in on Friday or next Monday. I'll post up some pics and reviews as well.

Interested as well.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Shipping to us today. Should be in on Friday!

Woo hoo! Can't wait to try that baby in the Triumph. Losing 6 lbs was never so easy...

Have one on order with them for a buddy's FJR1300. I'll let you guys know his experience too.

These are in stock! 2lbs or less! Great quality and next time you need a battery these are it!

If you ordered a battery they are shipping today as well!

Do you need a special charger DK? You know how I am with Lithium stuff!
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

No special charger! You can use your battery tender, etc. Honestly you should never need to charge them if taken care of.

No special charger! You can use your battery tender, etc. Honestly you should never need to charge them if taken care of.
    Somewhere on the Shorai website it mentions that the Battery Tender (tm) is ok to use, but that ones with a desulphating mode are not.

Q. Can I use Lead-Acid battery chargers or charger/tenders?

A.Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the SHO-BMS01, which will be released on about March 15th 2011, we expect. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX.

If you are storing your vehicle and want to check the remaining capacity, or you're a racer with a constant-loss system, you'll want to know how resting voltage (i.e. with no load or load under 200mA) maps to remaining capacity. LFX batteries should be maintained such that 20% capacity remains at minimum, as best practice. Use a good-quality voltmeter to check remaining capacity, and consider recharge whenever the battery capacity falls to about 50% remaining. Of course, if you get the Shorai dedicated BMS01 charger, you can just hit the "Store Mode" button and leave it to do the work for you.
    http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

That's odd. All my (electric) helicopters use LiIo or LiPo and they require special "balance" chargers to keep the cells balanced when charging.

Anyone know why this isn't the case with these motorcycle batteries?
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Can't answer your question but I got in the one for the FJR yesterday...
    All I can say is WOW these things are light! 1.8 lbs according to the scale. For those of you that do better with comparisons, that's less than a 1 liter bottle of coke/water but more than a 20 oz. 220 CCA as well. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    That's odd. All my (electric) helicopters use LiIo or LiPo and they require special "balance" chargers to keep the cells balanced when charging.

Anyone know why this isn't the case with these motorcycle batteries?
    Dean the new Life technology doesn't require the cells to be balanced as they do not get out of spec that much. Even the newer Lipo's only require balancing once a month if even that. I run new Venom Lipo's in my RC's and don't even balance them as the cells are more stable now that just cells made a year ago. Life technology is more stable than Lipo's. Hence why they can withstand extreme temps, try that with a lipo and they will swell.

You can see a couple independent test were people freeze these batterys and multiple amp test and they don't miss a beat!

More info can be found on shoraipower.com

Dean the new Life technology doesn't require the cells to be balanced as they do not get out of spec that much. Even the newer Lipo's only require balancing once a month if even that. I run new Venom Lipo's in my RC's and don't even balance them as the cells are more stable now that just cells made a year ago. Life technology is more stable than Lipo's. Hence why they can withstand extreme temps, try that with a lipo and they will swell.

You can see a couple independent test were people freeze these batterys and multiple amp test and they don't miss a beat!

More info can be found on shoraipower.com
    Ah, cool!

Another question (because I'm too lazy to read)... The LiIo and LiPo for my choppers are so volatile that the manufacturers of the batteries recommend fire proof charge bags and NEVER leave them unattended when charging. Swelling, explosions, fires - I've heard some pretty good stories. Is that because of the older technology as well?
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M