Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Newbie

Board Newbie

Track Newbie

Hey everyone,

I know this question has been asked (and answered) several times before, but it appears that those posts are quite old, and a lot of the info I'm trying to gather is spread out across the site.

I've been a street rider for several years now (MSF trained), and want to try things out on the track. I even picked up an SV650 to become my dedicated track bike (I don't want to drop my Monster!).

I know that riding on the track is very different from street riding, and I want to do things safely. So I've been looking up various educational options. I'd love to fly out to CA/NV and enroll in a CSS class. But let's be honest, who has $2400 burning a hole in their pockets for a 2-day class? Any other cheaper solutions? I read on this forum that I should look up Chicane, but their website's schedule is currently dated at 2009, and doesn't really have a wealth of knowledge.

As much as I'd love to just jump on the track for HPR's Lapping Day, I really want to get some good training before I get out there. Any suggestions? I'm even willing to travel out of state if the price is right.

Yeah, I know it's still January, and there's a sheet of ice on my driveway, but I'm in planning mode.

Thanks!

Re: Track Newbie

Chicane, Ricky Orlando, there are several options locally to get an intro to track. One way to start is to ask around on the MRA board. http://www.mra-racing.org/
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Chicane is my gig, I'm sorry, but I've not done a good job of keeping the site updated.

I'm working on a couple of weekend days for Chicane right now, but they aren't firm yet, and will likely fall in the middle of the season.

Best bang for the buck?

Come take the MRA race school in April. We offer a classroom session on a friday evening followed by a day of on track instruction with some of the best riders around. The instructors for the MRA school are accomplished racers and teachers. Many have won class championships and all have multiple podium finishes in our club.

The classroom portion will be on Friday April 9th. The on track sessions will take place either the 10th and 11th (pick one) or the 16th and 17th depending on the weather.

Best part? This whole experience only costs $200.

If you need to borrow gear I / we have a ton of it that we can lend out. Suits, back protectors, gloves, I even have a couple pair of boots.

The SV is a GREAT bike for what you're trying to do.

Please feel free to PM me if have any other questions.

Scott

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Chicane is my gig, I'm sorry, but I've not done a good job of keeping the site updated.
    Scott, thanks for the response, and I apologize. I meant no offense. I've heard many, many good things about Chicane. One of the guys at Performance Cycle highly recommended learning through you.

I was reading up on the MRA race school on the MRA website. As soon as it's up on the HPR website, I'll register.

Thanks for the offer on gear. I'm still working on my wishlist for what to buy, and will probably create a separate thread here to ask for opinions (I have a post up on sportbikes.net).

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the form on the MRA website to register for the Race School. Looking forward to it!
    Last edited by Sillisquid; Mon Jan 17th, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

No offense taken, your observation is totally valid. I'm glad that you've heard gear thing about my program.

There's lots of good gear out there. In my opinion this is an area where " you get what you pay for" totally applies. That being said the "best" gear out there is the stuff that fits you the best. The highest rated suit or helmet does you no good if it's even one size too big, or doest fit your head / body shape.

Ayden Lee Designs sponsors the MRA superstreet series. They make leather race suits and as a part of their sponsorship have given us a size run of suits to let students use. You're welcome to try these on for size and see if you like them. Performance is also a fantastic shop that's been a supporter of the MRA and racing for years.

Thanks for tour interest! Welcome to the addiction.

Scott

Scott failed to mention the MRA's new Super Street class. For $100 you get professional instruction (both classroom and on-track) and participate in an exhibition race at the end of the day. This takes place on the Saturday's of the MRA race weekends. After 2 classes, you can apply for your race license.
    More info here - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtop...10722&start=42

Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Get ready for an addiction. Once you go track, you never go back.

Having worked my way up into racing over the past 2 years and can offer my advice.

My first choice would be Chicane Days because they do offer classroom instruction and slow, medium and fast riding groups. It was the best $200.00 I ever spent. It got me on the track under controlled conditions that allowed me to get the feel of racing. It's a whole new level than the street.

The next step I took was to work MRA races as a corner worker. They pay you good money to watch the really good racers go by and show you their lines. I found that invaluable later on. (Example: Turn 10 Pueblo as seen in my avatar pic)

Then this last season I started out racing Super Street. For $100.00 I got to know exactly what I was getting into. I could ask any question at anytime which helped. But lining up on a start grid, well lets say I have never had anything close to that kind of high on the street. 7 laps and you'll know it.

Two races later and I had a race license.
    Last edited by Snowman; Mon Jan 17th, 2011 at 11:50 AM.

MRA Racer No.427

Board Newbie

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was about to sign up for the MRA Race School, but I'll be on a business trip at the same time. Damn.

Any other options? Anything going on in March?

The Super Street looks pretty sweet. Hopefully I'll be able to partake in that.

If you do a track day at HPR or even go to IMI for your first few times, just ask for some guidance and many helpful people will volunteer to get you squared away.

+1 to cornerworking. I volunteered back in WV for every race just so i could get closer to pick up tips. You'd be amazed at how much you learn from watching. It's also pretty cool to be so close that u can tell who's trail braking and who isn't.

I look forward to working races out here once the season arrives. I haven't gotten into all the info yet though

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    +1 to cornerworking. I volunteered back in WV for every race just so i could get closer to pick up tips. You'd be amazed at how much you learn from watching. It's also pretty cool to be so close that u can tell who's trail braking and who isn't.

I look forward to working races out here once the season arrives. I haven't gotten into all the info yet though
    http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewfor...5b099766beee06

This is great, thanks. Reading about the up-coming season has me very excited to get back out there to watch, and hit a few track days along the way. Currently, I'm in contact with the folks that cornerwork MotoGP at Laguna Seca. I believe I will spend that week working out there

really good info. I'm not looking to get into racing as of now, buy just love to improve my riding skills. Any trackday orgs than help in doing so? I'm used to running with RideSmart in Texas and they were a class org, hope to find one here too. Class room and on track sessions were great.

One thing that bothers me still is someone passing me on the inside of a turn. In TX, they dont allow inside passing upto intermediate group, only advanced group can pass in the inside of a turn.

Quote Originally Posted by r6rammy View Post
    really good info. I'm not looking to get into racing as of now, buy just love to improve my riding skills. Any trackday orgs than help in doing so? I'm used to running with RideSmart in Texas and they were a class org, hope to find one here too. Class room and on track sessions were great.

One thing that bothers me still is someone passing me on the inside of a turn. In TX, they dont allow inside passing upto intermediate group, only advanced group can pass in the inside of a turn.
    Check out the MRA's Super Street class - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12495
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post

I'm working on a couple of weekend days for Chicane right now, but they aren't firm yet, and will likely fall in the middle of the season.

Best bang for the buck?

Come take the MRA race school in April. We offer a classroom session on a friday evening followed by a day of on track instruction with some of the best riders around. The instructors for the MRA school are accomplished racers and teachers. Many have won class championships and all have multiple podium finishes in our club.

The classroom portion will be on Friday April 9th. The on track sessions will take place either the 10th and 11th (pick one) or the 16th and 17th depending on the weather.

Best part? This whole experience only costs $200.

If you need to borrow gear I / we have a ton of it that we can lend out. Suits, back protectors, gloves, I even have a couple pair of boots.

The SV is a GREAT bike for what you're trying to do.

Please feel free to PM me if have any other questions.

Scott

Anything going on May/June-ish? Got a few weeks of leave around this time and I'd like to take both classes, if available.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Having worked my way up into racing over the past 2 years and can offer my advice.

My first choice would be Chicane Days because they do offer classroom instruction and slow, medium and fast riding groups. It was the best $200.00 I ever spent. It got me on the track under controlled conditions that allowed me to get the feel of racing. It's a whole new level than the street.

The next step I took was to work MRA races as a corner worker. They pay you good money to watch the really good racers go by and show you their lines. I found that invaluable later on. (Example: Turn 10 Pueblo as seen in my avatar pic)

Then this last season I started out racing Super Street. For $100.00 I got to know exactly what I was getting into. I could ask any question at anytime which helped. But lining up on a start grid, well lets say I have never had anything close to that kind of high on the street. 7 laps and you'll know it.

Two races later and I had a race license.

Turn 10, the bane of my existence; get a little amped up and you pay for it. I'll see you gentlemen out there June/July.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Anything going on May/June-ish? Got a few weeks of leave around this time and I'd like to take both classes, if available.
    5 motorcycle lapping days in May/June at HPR - http://highplainsraceway.com/events.html
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    5 motorcycle lapping days in May/June at HPR - http://highplainsraceway.com/events.html
    As awesome as that sounds, I'm looking a little more for an Education type event. I've never been on a track in my life and I'm nothing spectactular on the street.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

The MRA School would be your best bet in April.

You don't have to buy a racing license after you take the class. The day is more about how to get around the track, dealing with traffic, race lines, etc.. Very similar to a Chicane Day.

The pluses to the race school over Chicane is that you are quantified for a race license if you want one, you get to practice starts and a mock race. Once you have this amount of back ground you will be safe to practice at any track day.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    As awesome as that sounds, I'm looking a little more for an Education type event. I've never been on a track in my life and I'm nothing spectactular on the street.
    Definitely look into the MRA race school. It consists of classroom time the night before and a full day of riding with very educated and knowledgeable instructors. It will also certify you if you ever decide to try your hand in racing.

If those dates don't work, Chicane is also a great organization to help any rider from track virgins to weekend warriors.

Being an instructor for both, I can help answer any questions and get you going in the right direction.
    Casey D

Thanks,

Any more info on the MRA School? Dates/Prices?

(Sorry to threadjack OP, but at least it's relevant. )
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Not at all, the more info we can pass the better.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12289

Here is all the info and contacts...

MRA Racer No.427

Copied from MRA forum:

Here's the deal. As of this moment, the FRIDAY NIGHT CLASSROOM will be on Friday, April 8th 2011.

The track session will be your choice of either a Saturday OR Sunday.

Here's where it's tricky...

Depending on weather, we'll do the track session EITHER that weekend (April 9th & 10th) or the FOLLOWING weekend (April 16th & 17th). We'll make the decison on Friday the 8th at the classroom. So be prepared to run on the 9th or 10th - with the 16/17 as a backup.

Cost is $200

Here is a link to the packet:

http://filezilla.mra-racing.org/files/2011%20Race%20School%20Packet.pdf
    Casey D