Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping your bike warm . . .

Keeping your bike warm . . .

As we all know it is supposed to be ridiculously cold tonight. With that said, we have room in our semi heated garage for another bike.

By semi heated, I mean, it is attached and we will be running a heater in the garage tonight. With all of the cold nights so far, we have not been below 40 degrees in the garage, yet. But with tonights temps, we are taking the extra precautions with the additional heat source. If nothing else, you can be sure that your bike will be safe for the night (or until this cold blast moves on).

If you are interested, drop me a PM.
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Re: Keeping your bike warm . . .

I think someone should invent a heating pad/blanket for motorcycles!
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    A cheap electric blanket from Wally world or Target works fine.

Lacking such a blanket, you can also put a 40-60w bulb in a trouble light, and lay it on the ground under the bike.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    A cheap electric blanket from Wally world or Target works fine.

Lacking such a blanket, you can also put a 40-60w bulb in a trouble light, and lay it on the ground under the bike.
    Both of those work great if you already have a garage. I'm just trying to help out someone who does not. If no one is interested, it's not a big deal to me.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Good on you, Marc! I think it's a fabulous idea
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider_9 View Post
    Both of those work great if you already have a garage. I'm just trying to help out someone who does not. If no one is interested, it's not a big deal to me.
    Im interested, maybe next time we expect a cold snap, it to late now, took the battery out for now but just put it in to start her up for a little while. She back fired but is doing good, I ran it till it got up to operating temp. I'll take the battery out again before tonight and see,,,,,,,, but ya, PM me the details and I may be able to pay you a little if you want!?!?. Thanks
    Last edited by DemonRider; Tue Feb 1st, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

Quote Originally Posted by 2010UribeFamily View Post
    Im interested, maybe next time we expect a cold snap, it to late now, took the battery out for now but just put it in to start her up for a little while. The back fired but is doing good, I'll take the battery out again before tonight and see,,,,,,,, but ya, PM me the details and I may be able to pay you a little if you want!?!?. Thanks
    No worries. It was a last minute thought. Next time it is going to get ridiculously cold, let me know and I will send you all the info you need.

Your bikes are spoiled, I think mine envies yours.

With the extra heater, the garage never got below 40 last night. When I went to bed, it was 60 in the garage.

With the extra heater, the garage never got below 40 last night. When I went to bed, it was 60 in the garage.
    can i come sleep in the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Reyven View Post
    can i come sleep in the garage?
    Of course you can . . .

Just wait till you get your electric bill; those heaters suck up the elctricity. Still worth it if it stops bike problems...
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Of course you can . . .
    he he. thanks

I'm just curious why the cold would matter. Marc, does your bike not have anti-freeze in it?
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Just wait till you get your electric bill; those heaters suck up the elctricity. Still worth it if it stops bike problems...
    I know it will be coming, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Reyven View Post
    he he. thanks
    Any time . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    I'm just curious why the cold would matter. Marc, does your bike not have anti-freeze in it?
    Of course it does. I swapped out the water & water wetter after the last track day. But just to make sure that I am clear about this . . . Yes, our bikes are spoiled!:

When I went to bed, it was 60 in the garage.
    When I went to bed, it was 60 in my bedroom!

I'm too nervous to leave a heater running all night in my garage...between the gas, paint, thinner, chemicals and all the other flammable stuff, I would hate to wake up to charred bikes and tools...

maybe I'll look into a block heater for the bike...

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    When I went to bed, it was 60 in my bedroom!

I'm too nervous to leave a heater running all night in my garage...between the gas, paint, thinner, chemicals and all the other flammable stuff, I would hate to wake up to charred bikes and tools...

maybe I'll look into a block heater for the bike...
    I wouldn't want to wake up to this.

Yes that's my neighbors house on fire, and yes it started in the garage at 3 in the morning. If your garage starts on fire you'll be lucky to escape with your life, two of the people in that house almost didn't and may have not, last I heard they were in critical condition fighting for their lives.
    Last edited by laspariahs; Wed Feb 2nd, 2011 at 09:54 PM.

Safety first! Thanks for reminding everyone about the dangers of portable heaters. Marc moved the heater between the motorcycles just for the picture. During the night, there is nothing but concrete within three feet of the heater. I use that heater in my office during the day, so I know that it works properly and is in good repair. In addition, we check the garage frequently during the night. And don't forget about the power cord and electrical outlet - both should be clean and undamaged.

It is entirely possible that I am a bit overprotective of the motorcycles (I probably shouldn't mention the nightlight). Please do not think we are recommending that anyone else use a portable heater unattended. And thanks again to Outlawd and Laspariahs for the safety reminders.

Be careful and stay warm -
    Monica
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

One of the most eery sites is a house burning down. If people aren't burning their house down with Christmas lights, it's space heaters in real cold weather.

Keep them suckers unplugged when not in use and make sure your smoke alarms work. Make sure you have plenty of fire extinguishers and everyone knows how to use them. Also, have a plan for getting out under different situations (i.e. where is the fire at?)
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Monica View Post
    Safety first! Thanks for reminding everyone about the dangers of portable heaters. Marc moved the heater between the motorcycles just for the picture. During the night, there is nothing but concrete within three feet of the heater. I use that heater in my office during the day, so I know that it works properly and is in good repair. In addition, we check the garage frequently during the night. And don't forget about the power cord and electrical outlet - both should be clean and undamaged.

It is entirely possible that I am a bit overprotective of the motorcycles (I probably shouldn't mention the nightlight). Please do not think we are recommending that anyone else use a portable heater unattended. And thanks again to Outlawd and Laspariahs for the safety reminders.

Monica
    Monica hit the nail right on the head. Yes, they are inherently dangerous. The location of the heater in the pic was only for the sake of the picture. In all reality, the heater was well away from everything and, as Monica pointed out, the cords and plugs are all in great condition. While we do go a little overboard in taking care of our bikes, we aren't willing to risk our lives for them. The bikes can be replaced, Monica cannot!

Safety first! ... Be careful ...
    Safety First?!? Did I not raise you right?

Wait... What has Marc been brainwashing you with?

Joe, you have no idea how hard it has been to get her over the years of mental abuse that you imparted on her. I realize that all the abuse was required by the brother-sister abuse rules. I am just trying to get her to stop running and screaming every time she hear's duct tape being unwound . . .

Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me. Maybe you guys should form some kind of race team. It could be based off of your sibling rivalry . . .

Monica
    SIDE NOTE: You have to have one of the oldest join dates of all the "Board Noobs." I know that your posting is a rare and special occasion and I just wanted to share with you how glad I am to have witnessed Post #7, a event that doesn't even happen annually.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]