Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motoport and bright clothing

Board Newbie

Motoport and bright clothing

Hey guys and gals, I had a couple of question. Number one, does anyone have motoport gear and can they attest to its quality? Number two, will wearing bright clothing like a yellow or green fluerescent jacket really add to the safety aspect and if so, can you provide a link for proof. Thanks for looking at this thread!

Re: Motoport and bright clothing

I find that bright clothing doesn't compliment the color of my eyes very well, so I choose not to wear it.

I imagine wearing it can help with being seen, in addition to proper lane positioning. But if someone in a cage is simple enough to not see a bike, due to texting, salad eating, make-up application, newpaper reading, tweeting, etc. then wearing yellow might not help very much

if you were looking for a serious answer, I apologize

I'm not sure if you are going to find a link...(i didn't google it...)

My answer is yes bright yellows/oranges with reflextive piping DO make you more visable. The Army makes it's Soldiers wear the yellow vest (we get them free from the safety office) so I do wear one while in uniform.
    Also, do your own test, when you are out on the highways/streets see if the hi-viz vests/coats catch you eye.
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

What color jumps out at you? +1 to Dave, if they're brain dead, texting or eating they won't see you even if you were decked out in unicorns and rainbows and glitter.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Board Newbie

yeah good point guys. Aireed, do you know if USAF rotc cadets can get free msf courses on bases?

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    What color jumps out at you? +1 to Dave, if they're brain dead, texting or eating they won't see you even if you were decked out in unicorns and rainbows and glitter.
    I don't know about that. Everytime I get dressed like this and go riding, people tend to notice me

Board Newbie

Ha that's goin on my bucket list. Dress up like a gay unicorn and ride around the gang ridden part of denver on a pink motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by Airreed View Post
    I'm not sure if you are going to find a link...(i didn't google it...)

My answer is yes bright yellows/oranges with reflextive piping DO make you more visable. The Army makes it's Soldiers wear the yellow vest (we get them free from the safety office) so I do wear one while in uniform.
    Also, do your own test, when you are out on the highways/streets see if the hi-viz vests/coats catch you eye.
    So my new roommate who is extremely condescending and self righteous says that you need to wear a PT belt or a vest even if you're out of uniform and off post. I told him he was wrong. You have more experience than both of us. What's the actual answer?
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    So my new roommate who is extremely condescending and self righteous says that you need to wear a PT belt or a vest even if you're out of uniform and off post. I told him he was wrong. You have more experience than both of us. What's the actual answer?
    When I was in, we were required to wear a reflective item off-post as well. If you didn't and you crashed, they could make you pay for any medical treatment you needed or withhold any SGLI benefits.

Think-

I believe it's only in uniform...but the Army PT belt is the savior of all things safety...(we had to wear the belt in Kuwait and Iraq...gayness).

CZ-
    I thought SGLI did not pay out if you died and the rider was not wearing a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    When I was in, we were required to wear a reflective item off-post as well. If you didn't and you crashed, they could make you pay for any medical treatment you needed or withhold any SGLI benefits.
    That's strange. If you crashed at your own fault, it would have nothing to do with wearing a reflective vest. However, if you were hit by someone because they couldn't see you because you weren't wearing a vest, that person would be paying the medical bills. Unless of course that person takes off I guess...
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

CZ-
    I thought SGLI did not pay out if you died and the rider was not wearing a helmet.
    I went through this last year with a GI who was killed on a Harley, but he didn't have the reflective vest on and he wasn't wearing a helmet, so I don't know which of the two were viewed as more important (you'd think the helmet would be a logical choice, but this is the Army we're talking about). The unit's representative said "they" (I didn't ask who "they" are, but I took it to mean the Army or SGLI) could withhold or diminish the benefits his family receives, with "could" being the operative word. Granted, he was DUI as well, so I'm not sure how much of that played into it. I don't know if they paid or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    That's strange. If you crashed at your own fault, it would have nothing to do with wearing a reflective vest. However, if you were hit by someone because they couldn't see you because you weren't wearing a vest, that person would be paying the medical bills. Unless of course that person takes off I guess...
    When I was stationed at Ft. Hood (late 93 to mid 97), we were told we had to wear a reflective item at all times, even off-post. I thought it didn't make sense either, since if I lowsided, having a reflective belt on wasn't going to prevent that. It's possible they only care about having a reflective belt/vest on when you're riding on-post and the meaning got confused somewhere along the chain. Helmets are required on or off-post for obvious reasons.

I'm in today, and stationed at Fort Carson, and the vest thing applies ALWAYS. It's pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, boots past the ankle and reflective vest AT ALL TIMES ON or OFF post. If you get into an accident, the Army will perform what is known as a "Line of Duty" investigation, and if you failed to wear a SINGLE required item, it is THEIR descretion whether or not to limit medical payments or death benefits. Granted, I don't *always* wear the vest off post (both my riding jackets are bright white, and my textile one has some small reflective strips on it) but I ALWAYS ride in full gear. I haven't witnessed any situations like this first hand, but I imagine they wouldn't stress too much if you went down and got hurt with a full leather track suit on, racing gloves, boots, etc but NO vest, but that's just my opinion, you are still required to wear it regardless.

*edit*
    Just for the record, I am my unit's Motorcycle Safety NCO. It's my job to train others in the Army's motorcycle riding policies and safety guidelines.
    Last edited by Sarge; Mon Mar 14th, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Think-

I believe it's only in uniform...but the Army PT belt is the savior of all things safety...(we had to wear the belt in Kuwait and Iraq...gayness).

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?i...482&aid=108452

PT Belt's through History.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Those pics are awesome! For those of you who have never served in the Army, the reflective belt is not just a reflective belt, it is the END-ALL, BE-ALL of accessories. You only need a single reflective belt to shield yourself from a mortar attack, rappel from a Blackhawk, tie yourself to your chute, scale buildings, or fix a flat tire on a HMMWV. It also doubles as a machete if you're going through the jungle. If you lay a reflective belt on the ground, it will always point in the direction of what you want most. If you ride motorcycles without one, it clearly could have prevented any, and I mean AAAA-NNNN-YYYY crash had you simply slipped it on.

Yes, my friends, behold the power of the reflective belt

'12 BMW S 1000 RR

And my personal favorite:

'12 BMW S 1000 RR

those are great

Actually had a discussion about my jacket w/ a gate guard at BAFB this morning... She couldn't see the reflective patches.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Those are great.

If I wear a reflective belt (tm) I will be able to kick Chuck Norris' ass, right?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I'm in today, and stationed at Fort Carson, and the vest thing applies ALWAYS. It's pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, boots past the ankle and reflective vest AT ALL TIMES ON or OFF post. If you get into an accident, the Army will perform what is known as a "Line of Duty" investigation, and if you failed to wear a SINGLE required item, it is THEIR descretion whether or not to limit medical payments or death benefits. Granted, I don't *always* wear the vest off post (both my riding jackets are bright white, and my textile one has some small reflective strips on it) but I ALWAYS ride in full gear. I haven't witnessed any situations like this first hand, but I imagine they wouldn't stress too much if you went down and got hurt with a full leather track suit on, racing gloves, boots, etc but NO vest, but that's just my opinion, you are still required to wear it regardless.

*edit*
    Just for the record, I am my unit's Motorcycle Safety NCO. It's my job to train others in the Army's motorcycle riding policies and safety guidelines.
    Ah, I think the document I was looking at was just for DoD and not specifically Army. This is the paragraph I read that threw me off a bit since it mentions no requirement of reflective gear, just encourages it.
    Protective Clothing. Protective clothing includes long-sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens made from leather or other abrasion-resistant material. Motorcycle jackets and pants constructed of abrasion-resistant materials such as leather, KevlarŽ, or CorduraŽ and containing impact-absorbing padding are strongly encouraged. Riders are encouraged to select PPE that incorporates fluorescent colors and retroreflective material.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Yes the letter of the law says bright color during daytime and reflective at night.

So the end-all be-all is not the belt or common Icon vest. It is the easiest to use for post/base as it is not worth the hassle with the gate guards to discuss the nuances of it.....at least not in uniform.

I did have a civ dude always get into it with the gate guards just for amusement purposes. I dont have the time or inclination for that type of entertainment. I'll just take my pocket of singles to PTs.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Ah, I think the document I was looking at was just for DoD and not specifically Army. This is the paragraph I read that threw me off a bit since it mentions no requirement of reflective gear, just encourages it.
    That's the thing though, it's not actually a DoD reg or AR or anything, it's actually a Policy Letter written by some General, which makes it as good as law. It'll be in the reg soon enough. This is why there's all the confusion, and why some posts enforce it more than others.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    That's the thing though, it's not actually a DoD reg or AR or anything, it's actually a Policy Letter written by some General, which makes it as good as law. It'll be in the reg soon enough. This is why there's all the confusion, and why some posts enforce it more than others.
    It's actually kind of weird. A buddy of mine went down about a month ago and got a compound fracture to his thumb and broke a bunch of other fingers in his hands. He didn't have the MSF endorsement or his license and was outside the 120 mile radius from post without a pass when he wrecked. He talked to the company commander recently and was more or less let off the hook. All he has to do is write an essay. It probably helped his situation that there were about 4 DUI's the CO had to deal with around the time he wrecked.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS