Thread: Oak Ridge National Laboratory Hacked

Oak Ridge National Laboratory Hacked

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...idge-lab-hack/

Kind of scary, they do alot of classified research, including cyber-warfare. I'm affected by this here at my job (ORNL hosts the information system we use as part of a wider collaboration), and of course it means everyone gets a reminder about clicking on a link.

I cracked up at the quote of the Deputy Lab Director, who said, "We're getting more smarter..." To maintain my own sense of rightness in the world, I'm going to assume that's a misquote.

They boarded up last Friday, still down a week later. Crazy!! And going to cost the taxpayers some serious green.

Couple questions for Friday time-chewing:

Why the hell are these people using Internet Explorer?

What's spear-phishing? (I've never heard that term.)

Re: Oak Ridge National Laboratory Hacked

A national cybersecurity network using IE and allowing extranet access? What kind of IT doofuses run that sort of open network?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    A national cybersecurity network using IE and allowing extranet access? What kind of IT doofuses run that sort of open network?
    The same doofuses that have the IRS running on WinXP and IE6. Just sayin'.

AKA "Devaclis"

It is a form of phishing in which a perp targets specific, normally high up, individual within a company using official looking emails or other non suspicious forms of communication to get information from them. LIke most social engineering it relies on the target being a total fucking dumbass.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    LIke most social engineering it relies on the target being a total fucking dumbass.
    Based on my experience with upper management in government labs, it is likely to be a very productive approach.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Based on my experience with upper management in general, it is likely to be a very productive approach.
    Fixed that for you.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    It is a form of phishing in which a perp targets specific, normally high up, individual within a company using official looking emails or other non suspicious forms of communication to get information from them. LIke most social engineering it relies on the target being a total fucking dumbass.

Ah, makes sense, now that you've spelled it out.

Raytheon just went through replacing every one of their employees 20,000 Fobs because the maker RSA got hacked.

It took several days to change everyones password. The help desk's phone lines were at least an hour on hold when they were not disconnected because of the wait time being too long. All the while everyone was trying to complete their yearly performance reviews which require at least three sets of password/fob security to get to.

I currently have 6 different login and password/fob combinations to maintain just to do my job. All of which I cannot write down anywhere. Know wonder people around here get caught all the time around here with easy passwords.

So something like this doesn't surprise me.

MRA Racer No.427

Thoughts about things like biometric security?

Quote Originally Posted by Squisha View Post
    Thoughts about things like biometric security?
    I want to know why biometric PC devices were a minor fad a few years ago, and now they're gone. Microsoft and a couple other companies made one. The microsoft one was only good for Windows XP, and they never supported an OS beyond that.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F