Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OBD down at HPR

On my toes! Lifetime Supporter PunyJuney's Avatar

OBD down at HPR

I spoke with Darrel's daughter a couple of times today. He's off the vent and is resting uncomfortably at Aurora Medical Center in room 407. He was airlifted off the track yesterday with broken ribs, a collapsed lung and a broken clavicle.
    She has passed along best wishes from his extended family here at the CSC.

I am sure everyone wishes him a speedy recovery!!!!

MV Agusta F4 Brutale 1078rr
    2012 CBR1000rr Anniversary Edition

"keep your words soft and sweet as one day you may have to eat them" -Chuck

Re: OBD down at HPR

My wife and I were there when it happened and are glad to hear he is doing ok. we wish him a speedy recovery.

We were wondering why the track went cold for so long. I had come off the track, got out of my leathers, and was BSing with some friends when they made the announcement that HW/Open Endurance was only going to run 20 minutes, but we didn't know why until later. I'm glad he's relatively ok. Turn 4 is a fast one.

I was taking photos at Turn 13 when the crash occurred. When the track went cold for so long I knew it must've been serious - and then the helicopter showed up. I had just met Darrel that morning in the pits, while walkin' around with Jason.

My thoughts and prayers go out to him for a speedy recovery!

Darrel is a one of the nicest guys you will meet. He's always ready for a ride and to help you out with bike stuff. Im shocked and saddened by his accident. Get well soon brother.
    Whatdja learn?

Glad he is doing okay. His bike was a mess.

I have no idea what happened? I was coming back around the track and saw a bunch of dust off of turn 4. As I got there the yellow flag was out but I didn't even see his bike. He must have really flown of the track?

What a crazy day. BadR6man (I think thats right?) went down right in front of me going in to turn 5. I had to dodge between him and his bike as they both went sliding across the track in front of me. Then 2 laps later this happened.

/
    // MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

Glad to hear he is improving. We were pitted on the west end of the paddock and knew there had been an 'off' at turn 4 and knew it was serious when the copter came in. Heal up, rider.

I was on the track when the red flag came out. Happy to hear he's mostly OK.

Get better soon!
    parental advisory: i say fuck a lot, a whole lot, and i'm not willing to stop because it hurts your feelings or whatever. just tell me to STFU until you're out of earshot.

Am sorry to hear this. As Ol' Skool said, Darrel is a great friend and stand up guy. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Very sorry to hear this and wishing Darrel a speedy recovery.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Speedy recovery Darrel. Thoughts are with you brother. I was taking photos from T1 and saw the cloud of dust. It wasn't until I walked past his bike that I found out it was him. Definitely a sick feeling seeing the life flight chopper fly in. Anyone know if his truck and trailer needs to be moved or driven home?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

The word from the corner working in turn 4 was that he over shot turn 4 and was on the rear break going into the dirt, where he thinks Darrel grabbed too much front brake and threw himself over the front. Then the bike landed on him.

Hope you feel better soon.

MRA Racer No.427

Holy cow! We left before this happened. Speedy recovery to Darrel!

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Anyone know if his truck and trailer needs to be moved or driven home?
    They announced @ riders meeting this morning that his stuff got packed up and returned to family.

Hoping for a fast and full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite675 View Post
    Glad he is doing okay. His bike was a mess.

I have no idea what happened? I was coming back around the track and saw a bunch of dust off of turn 4. As I got there the yellow flag was out but I didn't even see his bike. He must have really flown of the track?

What a crazy day. BadR6man (I think thats right?) went down right in front of me going in to turn 5. I had to dodge between him and his bike as they both went sliding across the track in front of me. Then 2 laps later this happened.

/
    Yeah it was me sliding on my back like a turtle.
    I was on the crash chariot on my way back to tech my bike when news on the radio of his incident happened. His injuries sounded more serious than mine (I'm fine).

Praying for a quick and speedy recovery for you Darrell. I'm sure we will meet some time.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter gtn's Avatar

Wow. Not good. Speedy recovery Darrell.
    Gary
    08 CBR1000rr - Candy Dark Red/Metallic Silver

Get well soon Darell!!
    Martin J. MRA# 73 - Motoforza Racing Team
    2012 MRA "Colorado class" champion
    Motoforza bodywork www.motoforzafairings.com
    TFOG Wheelsports
    Love&Polish

Just got off the phone with Darrel, sounds like he is doing good. He is still in a lot of pain and drowsy from his medication but but still in good spirits. He'll be headed home tomorrow if all tests and imagery go well.

Thanks for the update. Continued good thoughts for OBD. Mmmmm... Vicodin good.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

My girlfriend is a nurse in ICU at Aurora Medical Center, so I will mention to her that Darell is part of our club and to tell everyone working to keep a special eye on him.

Glad to hear Darell got taken there as their trauma center is one of the best in town!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NUTZ View Post
    Just got off the phone with Darrel, sounds like he is doing good. He is still in a lot of pain and drowsy from his medication but but still in good spirits. He'll be headed home tomorrow if all tests and imagery go well.
    Excellent news!
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Glad he is doing ok. Was really worried after seeing his bike post crash and the heli fly over us on our way back to Denver. I really hate it when the bike lands on me...always leaves a mark. Heal quickly and know we are all thinking about ya.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Glad to hear he is doing better and going home soon.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Darrel, hoping for a speedy recovery for you!!