Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OBD down at HPR

Re: OBD down at HPR

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Life's too short to sit back and try to always play it safe. I am going to a funeral this morning for my co-worker. He had a heart attack earlier this week at age 41. You never know when it's your time so you gotta live life a little.
    My biggest personal concern...

This post might help me turn the corner and focus on healthy eating and more exercise. Quoted as a reminder that life will end and I don't want to be old because I was playing it safe only to regret an uneventful life.

Quote Originally Posted by PunyJuney View Post
    If that's what taking it to the track looks like, I'll just keep riding slow.
    That is the Drama right there! In my opinion you dont know what you are talking about in that statement. As many others have pointed out the track is a much safer place to be then the streets. Keep riding "slow" maybe a car wont hit you.That is something that OBD wanted and many more of us love to do.

For you to say "If that's what taking it to the track looks like, I'll just keep riding slow" in a thread talking about his accident was in poor taste. Most of the drama on the CSC is caused by people typing things without thinking and typing things they would not say in person.

Get well OBD!!

Mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

On my toes! Lifetime Supporter PunyJuney's Avatar

Due to complications (pneumonia) he's still hospitalized. They are contemplating surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    That is the Drama right there! In my opinion you dont know what you are talking about in that statement. As many others have pointed out the track is a much safer place to be then the streets. Keep riding "slow" maybe a car wont hit you.That is something that OBD wanted and many more of us love to do.

For you to say "If that's what taking it to the track looks like, I'll just keep riding slow" in a thread talking about his accident was in poor taste. Most of the drama on the CSC is caused by people typing things without thinking and typing things they would not say in person.

Get well OBD!!

Mike
    Clearly you were not in the hospital room when we he was showing me the huge purple bruise down his side and I said "If that's what taking it to the track looks like" (re:his injuries) and added "I'll keep riding slow" which is a comment about ME! I don't have the skill or nuts required to go to the track and likely never will. Darrel often suggests that I come out and give it a try. I admire that HE has the skill and desire. Anyone that rides with me knows how slow I am. How many times do people say 'ride your own ride', yet when I make a comment about 'my ride' the drama kicks in to high? How was picking on myself misconstrued into a personal attack on all racers and turned in to such a cluster? On second thought, don't answer that. I don't care. It was suggested that I clarified the context around my original comment.

Foolishly I assumed thoughts on this thread should be good thoughts and concern directed to a rider who is recovering. I must have lost my mind thinking I could get away with such a positive sentiment here.

MV Agusta F4 Brutale 1078rr
    2012 CBR1000rr Anniversary Edition

"keep your words soft and sweet as one day you may have to eat them" -Chuck

Racing and track days are DEFINITELY the same thing.

Get well D.

Get well Darrel we're pulling for ya.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

surgery today at 1:30

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Get well Darrel we're pulling for ya.
    +1

What are they hoping to accomplish in this surgery?

Clearly you were not in the hospital room when we he was showing me the huge purple bruise down his side and I said "If that's what taking it to the track looks like" (re:his injuries) and added "I'll keep riding slow" which is a comment about ME! I don't have the skill or nuts required to go to the track and likely never will. Darrel often suggests that I come out and give it a try. I admire that HE has the skill and desire. Anyone that rides with me knows how slow I am. How many times do people say 'ride your own ride', yet when I make a comment about 'my ride' the drama kicks in to high? How was picking on myself misconstrued into a personal attack on all racers and turned in to such a cluster? On second thought, don't answer that. I don't care. It was suggested that I clarified the context around my original comment.

Foolishly I assumed thoughts on this thread should be good thoughts and concern directed to a rider who is recovering. I must have lost my mind thinking I could get away with such a positive sentiment here.
    I can't speak for the others, but I understood that your comment applied to yourself and not the rest of us. That doesn't make it any less incorrect, we're just doing a poor job of explaining WHY we feel it's incorrect.

I think the misunderstanding here is that you're making the assumption that riding on the track is about nothing more than riding as fast as possible. Nothing could be further than the truth. When you talk about 'ride your own ride', the same thing applies to the track. We all do our own thing, and ride only to the level that each of us feels comfortable. I've seen riders out here of every skill level imaginable from Jakub Smrz all the way down to the person who has only a couple hundred miles under their belt.

The point is that the track is absolutely the best place to learn. Whether you are literally throwing a leg over for the first time in your life, or you've put half a million miles on various bikes - you WILL learn something EVERY time you do a track day. Those things that you learn will make you a better, safer rider on the street.

Will you go faster? Absolutely! As your skills improve you will naturally pick up the pace - at a rate that is comfortable for you. So, while going faster isn't necessarily the GOAL of a trackday, it is an almost certain side effect of you developing your own skills and learning more about what your bike is actually capable of. This second part is the key. Whether it's motorcycles or cars, I know for a fact that a high percentage of traffic accidents today are completely unnecessary simply because the VEHICLE was capable of braking or turning or doing whatever would be needed to avoid the accident, but the DRIVER has no idea that the vehicle has such abilities. The more you find out about what your vehicle is capable of, the safer you are. The track is the best place to learn the capabilities of both you and your machine.

To put it in perspective - just a few weeks ago I gave a track tour to a local police department that will be doing training out here this summer. As part of that, I took the departments lead instructor for a few laps in one of their department Caprices. After the ride was over he literally told me "I had no idea these cars could go that fast around a track." And this is coming from a guy who is probably no slouch behind the wheel. On the other hand, there is undoubtedly dozens of drivers that could take that same car and drive it faster than I did. No matter WHO you are, there's always something to be learned. The track is the best place to do it.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Sending some positive waves his way
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

June, I dont think this thread has taken a negative turn, nor do I think it's full of drama. My initial response was not directed at you personally. I was only pointing out that the track is a controlled environment where a rider can safely push their limits. I have been to the hospital to see Darrel, too. I saw what you saw. I still feel awful about what happened.
    Sorry that I offended you.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    June, I dont think this thread has taken a negative turn, nor do I think it's full of drama. My initial response was not directed at you personally. I was only pointing out that the track is a controlled environment where a rider can safely push their limits. I have been to the hospital to see Darrel, too. I saw what you saw. I still feel awful about what happened.
    Sorry that I offended you.
    +1

Didn't mean to offend, June. Just trying to advocate track practice and better riding!
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

shit happens, everyone has a opinion just like assholes just keepem to yourselves or create a thread to bicker in.
    thread is for darrels support and status updates.
    feel better soon darrel, your in my prayers.

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

Any news on the surgery today?
    The GECCO

Last post by his daughter on FB said the surgery seemed to go well.

09 Yamaha FZ6R
    08 Yamaha XT250

Hey OBD - I remember meeting you on a ride to Deckers last year. Sorry to hear about your crash, but heal up and we'll see you back out on two wheels again soon. Best wishes man!

Get well Darrel, hope you get to go home soon.
    Maria
    2009 Street Triple

Still sending positive thoughts. Hoping the recovery from surgery goes well...

Ann and I were on our way to see Darrel this afternoon when we got an update. They claim the surgery went well yesterday, but he was not returned to his room as anticipated and was admitted to the ICU. He's still in the ICU, is on a lot of pain meds and is breathing through a tube. He is alert and able to respond to questions according to his daughter. She asks that visiting resume when he is released from the ICU.

Ann and I were on our way to see Darrel this afternoon when we got an update. They claim the surgery went well yesterday, but he was not returned to his room as anticipated and was admitted to the ICU. He's still in the ICU, is on a lot of pain meds and is breathing through a tube. He is alert and able to respond to questions according to his daughter. She asks that visiting resume when he is released from the ICU.
    Thanks for the update June. Am also wondering if maybe so many of us visiting is making it harder for him too While I understand that he was getting a bit bored, it can be crazy tiresome to feel you need to "entertain" your visitors. As opposed to getting well needed rest.

I spoke to him last week and after hearing how much trouble he had talking I decided to wait to visit him until he gets out of the hospital. I'm sure he will need help around the house, drives to doctor appointments, etc... and company when he feels a little bit better.
    Maria
    2009 Street Triple

update from Darrel's daughter from last night:

"I went to see him this afternoon and he's still in the ICU. They took the tube out of his throat while I was there. It seemed like he could barely move though because he's so weak. It's very difficult to see him like that.

Anyway, he has to stay in the ICU for at least another 24 hours so he might not be put back into a regular room until Thursday morning depending on what the doctor's say.
    I think he would feel more up to visitors once he's back in a regular room again.

Thanks again for your concern and I'll let you know more when I can."

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

*hugs* to Darrel. Does he have a laptop? If not, I have one he could borrow. It'll help the time go by faster. They'll even let him have it in the ICU (at least they let my dad have his there). If someone could let me know that would be appreciated.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."